8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Dissapointment in film

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dissapointment in film
Gary Constantine
Junior

- posted March 21, 2007 06:21 AM      Profile for Gary Constantine         Edit/Delete Post 
I wont mention any names, but I bought a film recently and paid £20 for a 400 foot reel...and there was A LOT missing from the film, namely Star Wars. For £20, I was expecting the whole damn thing.

|  IP: Logged

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted March 21, 2007 06:25 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What do you mean? How much is left out of the original 17 minutes?

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Gary Constantine
Junior

- posted March 21, 2007 06:26 AM      Profile for Gary Constantine         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the original Star Wars from the 1950s was 3 hours? My film is TWENTY minutes long...LOTS missing!

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 21, 2007 06:35 AM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My golly Gary,what GREAT EXPECTATIONS [Smile] Trev

--------------------
Trevor

Dave Cragg
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 21, 2007 06:38 AM      Profile for Dave Cragg   Email Dave Cragg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gary, the most you are going to get on a 400ft reel is twenty minutes and £20 is about right. The full film would probably be on about 8 400ft reels and would cost, perhaps, £200?
You are certainly not going to get £150 for a 17 minute 'selected scenes' reel.

--------------------
Wide eyed novice.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted March 21, 2007 07:07 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can often pick up the feature in scope for £150 upwards but there are 2 400 feet versions that can be intercut.
The seller should have mentioned it was selected scenes though as it does say so on the box.
I sold the 2x400 intercut for aahve been a cuple of bob more, nice one though.
Looking for a nice LPP trailer of it myself as only watching cine alone now so don`t need long films.
Best Mark.
PS sorry for dissapointment you can maybe get the other 400.

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 21, 2007 07:14 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark

I agree, the two 400ft versions availabe work really well when properly intercut - there's a certain nostalgic element to watching them this way too. [Wink]

Gary

You should check out the reviews section on the forum prior to making any more film purchases; the Star Wars digests have both been covered there, the reviews will give you a good idea of what to expect and whether or not the film, especially if it is a digest, is for you.

Mike [Cool]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Douglas Meltzer

- posted March 21, 2007 09:10 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gary,

I apologize in advance if I'm stating the obvious, but I just want to make sure you are familiar with the package movie world of Super 8mm. Before our good friend video came along, the only way to watch theatrically released films at home was in the smaller film gauges. Condensed versions (digests/selected scenes) with running times varying from 8 minutes (200') to 30 minutes (600'- 800') were put out by companies with different degrees of proficiency in editing. Some captured the plot & feel of an entire feature in 8 minutes, some just concentrated on a key scene or two, and some just failed miserably at it. Certain films also lend themselves to this process better than others. Who would have thought that a 10 minute digest of "Jaws" would work so amazingly well?
Full length features were released also, but at quite a high price. The digests were much more affordable. Just be careful in the future as to whether you're purchasing a cutdown or not. Also make sure to ask about the condition of the color, since many of these films have now faded to a lovely magenta.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 21, 2007 09:31 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well, the original Star Wars from the 1950s was 3 hours?
Heey!!! Star Wars is not from 1950s!!!! and 3 Hours!!! what are you talking about!!!.

Doug and others please be noted to his post!

Alan, yes I think we are being wound-up !

and THAT'S IT!

--------------------
Winbert

Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted March 21, 2007 10:07 AM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gary,

Funny, Same thing has happenend to me on more than one occasion. [Frown] [Frown] [Frown]

Chris. [Big Grin]

--------------------
The other half thinks i'm up to something. Shes right of course.

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 21, 2007 10:20 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris

Me too; I must have bought literally dozens of 400ft digests and not one of them has lasted more than about 18 minutes! [Frown]

Mike [Wink]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted March 21, 2007 11:03 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't you sussed it out yet guys.....your supposed to run them at 2.4 FPS not 24 [Wink]

Didn't you notice the sound was a tad too fast [Big Grin]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted March 21, 2007 12:02 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Gary, You said in the earlier thread "Dealers at Cine Fairs"
quote:
In the past I have attended certain fairs,
Well I'm surprised you didn't know what to expect from a 400ft package movie as you would have seen many at the conventions [Confused]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 21, 2007 12:26 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A 400ft reel can easily last 3 hours at 24fps

But the film has to be like cling film [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Colin Robert Hunt
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 21, 2007 02:34 PM      Profile for Colin Robert Hunt   Author's Homepage   Email Colin Robert Hunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi All
From memory the 200ft Star Wars was available long before the release in the UK. Along came the 400footer and much later the the last part. It was possible to extend the 2 400ft versions with the 200ft version because it contains extra length of scene much shorterin the 1st 400ft version. I think the Germain release contained different footage but needed to be dubbed back into english.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted March 21, 2007 04:17 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
is the guy some kinda nut? [Big Grin]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 21, 2007 04:26 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alright guys, lay off the newbie! Folks in this modern videotape/DVD era think that everything in a small format must have the whole film in thier hands, and are suprised when they aren't.

True story. I had never seen VCR tapes, and someone said that they watched Empire Strikes back at home and they described the cassette, which was about the size of your average VCR tape of today, but since all I knew, (and bear in mind, at 13) was 200ft and 400ft reels, I knew that he couldn't have seen that movie on film at that time and I told him, "Phooey!".

Little did I know that I had just been introduced to what would become the big craze of video, (boo hiss!)

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Pablo Alvarez Roth
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 21, 2007 08:04 PM      Profile for Pablo Alvarez Roth   Email Pablo Alvarez Roth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boy I feel old,

and I´m only 30,

but you know when you´re old when you start talking about how you had at home, cassette tapes, records, monocrome computers that used software on tapes, no internet and no mobile home, no intenet and watched videos beta or vhs and have home films on super 8 films. gee time flies fast

I think I´m the last generation who live though so many changes.

cheers
Pablo.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 21, 2007 08:34 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not so sure!

In modern times technology evolves so fast that format and system changes are probably going to happen more and more often.

I think soon while the stuff is rolling down the assembly line it will become obsolete and they'll automatically charge it to the customers' credit cards and then scrap it before it's even been delivered!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 22, 2007 12:33 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whats this!!, "Star Wars" in the 1950s [Roll Eyes] did I miss something, must be all that film cleaner, I new I should have worn gloves [Wink]

Graham [Smile]

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted March 22, 2007 01:42 AM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gary, mention names. I don't see anything wrong with purchasing a digest for 20 pounds.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted March 22, 2007 02:02 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hi All
From memory the 200ft Star Wars was available long before the release in the UK. Along came the 400footer and much later the the last part. It was possible to extend the 2 400ft versions with the 200ft version because it contains extra length of scene much shorterin the 1st 400ft version. I think the Germain release contained different footage but needed to be dubbed back into english

Colin, check the review section, there's an article on how to splice the 3 US reels and the 2 german reels together.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Colin Robert Hunt
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 23, 2007 12:05 PM      Profile for Colin Robert Hunt   Author's Homepage   Email Colin Robert Hunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Jean-mark. Will have a nose at this and maybe expand the version I have already. Must say it's a few years since I edited this version, but always went down well on showings regards Colin

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC