8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What's the best bargain you ever had? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: What's the best bargain you ever had?
Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 25, 2007 05:01 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just thought I would open a topic where "jealousy and envy" can run rife!
My best two bargains to date are -

JOLSON STORY - 7 x 400ft in a Blue Leatherette box with each spool in its own sleeve, still shrink wrapped. The Columbua logo on the box beneath the film title. Price - £52.00. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

TOM THUMB - 4 x 600ft, again brand spanking new -£57.00. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Are there any other lucky punters out there?
(Obviously we have to keep this in context - what one collector considers a bargain [Smile] another may think is a "Rip-Off" [Frown] - at the end of the day it comes down to personal satisfaction) [Wink]

Perhaps we should keep the list to "features only", to maintain a "level Playing field" - I'll leave it up to you guys? [Smile]

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 25, 2007 05:30 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where do I start? Because of ebay, I have come across so many great deals. Most of my Blackhawk films I have gotten for a few dollars at most. When it comes to feature films, Most of the features I buy come to me on 800 or 1200ft reels, and being that i can't use 800 and up reels, (I prefer 600ft.) I tend to sell those reels.

For instance, two months ago I bought a print of "Flying Tigers"(John Wayne) on two very rare beautiful 1200ft. silver metal ELMO reels. I paid 24.95 for film and reels together. I sold the reels for a combined amount of 42.00. Not only did I end up getting the feature film for free, but made a twenty dollar profit.

Or how about when I bought my Eumig Mark S mag/optic projector for 30.00, or my Eumig stereo926 mag for 100?

I must say, if not for ebay, I certianly wouldn't have the film collection that I have today!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 25, 2007 05:59 PM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Derann's release of Walt Disney's The Lion King, first print run, low fade polly stock, A1 mint condition with full stereo sound £85

Craig

--------------------
I dream of becoming a dealer!!!!!!
Is Perry's Movies for Sale.

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 25, 2007 06:14 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,"envy and jealousy!" - You have "Flying Tigers" full length. I am a big John Wayne fan, as you can see from my signature below. So I think I qualify for both of these deadly sins, in this case. [Frown]
By the way Osi, who released Flying Tigers on Super 8 and do you have any other Duke films?

[ March 26, 2007, 01:50 AM: Message edited by: Keith Ashfield ]

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Ernie Zahn
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 25, 2007 06:30 PM      Profile for Ernie Zahn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the way of Super8:

Empire Strikes Back digest Part One and Two! Only $40 total! That's $20 each!

--------------------
Check out the trailer for my feature length Spaghetti-style Western:

Six and Bisti

Douglas Meltzer

- posted March 25, 2007 08:36 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was pretty happy when I picked up a nice full length print of "High Noon" for $50.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted March 26, 2007 02:43 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Beaulieu 708 traded for my Eumig 810 plus $150, which ended up being a gift from my wife...

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted March 26, 2007 04:18 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting one this.
Think the nicest item I got was the new Eumig 926GL which had not been used. It was offered to me for £50, but the lady also had some old family films he she not seen for 40 years on 9.5mm film. I offered to transfer these to dvd for her and she was over the moon. Its nice to do a good deed and the thank you telephone call I received afterwards for his free transfer was very nice.

The machine was later converted to 2 blade shutter and performs very well. I think of her phone call every time I use it.

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 26, 2007 07:26 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ignoring free stuff given to me, One bargain I remember was buying a green plastic CIR super-8 splicer for £2.50 at a boot sale not realising at the time how collectable they were. Unfortunately over time the grey plastic arm broke and had to be glued back. It still works fine though but I would sell it if I bought the metal version.

Jonathan Sanders
Film Handler

- posted March 26, 2007 07:44 AM      Profile for Jonathan Sanders   Email Jonathan Sanders   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps not my best, but the cheapest I ever bought were a bunch of Super 8 sound one-reelers in a charity shop for just twenty pence (UK) each!

None were really to my taste but most were in nice condition and Futtock's End alone sold for £18 on eBay! At least I was able to use the money for films I did want.

I think the best bargain for me was a lovely Standard 8 print of Clarence Brown's eight-reel The Goose Woman (1925)on eBay for £15.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 26, 2007 09:46 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keith,

I wish I could say who manufactured "Flying Tigers" for you. The film did not come in it's original boxes, and the leader doesn't say anything as well.

One of the nifty things about the print, (besides it's really great contrast, which is sometimes iffy on black and white early classics), is that it has the original opening logo's. This is the original Republic Pictures logo with the building in the background. Very Nice.

I must say, I have had incredible luck on most of my optical sound super 8 film prints. There's only a few that I have paid more than 100.00 dollars american for, (and most of the prints were 50 dollars or less.), and so I have a rather large collection at a fraction of the cost.

Now, buying Revenge of the Sith .... that's another whole kettle of fish altogether.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 26, 2007 10:23 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Without a doubt my best ebay bargain was my Eumig S938 Stereo, virtually unused mint condition, for $199.00! The previous owner had obviously tried to run Standard 8 film through it, as there was a piece left in the gate. I suspect he gave up on the machine when it would'nt run standard 8, and that was the only running it ever got.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Dan Pinto
Film Handler

- posted March 26, 2007 11:03 AM      Profile for Dan Pinto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I scored 3 full boxes of Blackhawk super 8 features, columbia cut downs, many 3 Stooges 400ft'ers all for $10 a box at a yard sale last year. Found a Sankyo Sound 500 at an estate sale for $20. Now I pay through the nose for the stuff I Like! [Smile]

--------------------
If you stew cranberries like applesauce, it tastes much more like prunes than rhubarb does!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 26, 2007 12:09 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Slightly different:

The very first thing I ever bought on E-bay was a Minolta XL-401: Buy it Now for $9.99 (!)

It was cheap and un-bid because the seller thought it was broken.

His E-bay ad. made me think he didn't understand the camera so I bought it. (Had to register myself first: I was sweating hoping nobody else beat me to it!)

I was right, it was fine and I've been using it 6 years now. It's my prime travel camera and I've filmed with it from one shore of the Pacific all the way around to the other, with more than a few stops in between.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Colin Robert Hunt
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 26, 2007 01:56 PM      Profile for Colin Robert Hunt   Author's Homepage   Email Colin Robert Hunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Items that come to mind is.
CIR Super8 tape splicer in original box with tape mint condition £1.00 from a charity shop.
Sound of Music 3x6ooft in original boxes mint condition £30.00 from the bring & Buy stall Ealing
Oh Mr Porter 4x400ft Walton mint condition including the origal boxes £16.00 from e-bay.
I know this is not film orintated but a Raymond Wiel Swiss watch valued after I bought it at £250.00 bought for £3.00 from a charity shop.
Keep looking for a GS1200 in the charity shops or car boot sales but nothing so far.

Del Phillipson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 26, 2007 03:15 PM      Profile for Del Phillipson   Email Del Phillipson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The GS1200 that Kevin recently sorted out for me (it was the ESS switch) I daren't say how much it was as my ears will start burning and then people will get Del dolls and start sticking pins in them [Big Grin] all I can say is that it was cheap.

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 26, 2007 06:03 PM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of charity shops, I got my GS1200 from such a shop in Harborne,Bham 4 years ago for £170...

--------------------
Yannis

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 27, 2007 07:24 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Come on Del you can tell us

We will still be your mates here

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted March 27, 2007 08:35 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm...Elmo ST180E- Broken Belt..$30, Elmo ST1200HD + Films (Feature Length Murder on the Orient Express, Saturday Night Fever, Warriors (3x400, Godfather 2 (2x400), ton of Tom and Jerry Films, 5 x 800ft Elmo Reels) ...$200 shipped!
Elmo GS800...broken belt $45, Eumig 926GL Stereo + Goko RM8008 Stereo Editor...$60 for the pair...I have been pretty lucky!! [Smile]

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted March 27, 2007 10:11 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dealer had a lot of Blackhawk shorts, some Castle, Perry, Griggs, Columbia, Coronet and others, most in sharp boxes, some cans; Condition so-so on a few, luckily the longer shorts were tops, though there was a $200 pricetag for eighteen shorts, I heckled a bit, traded some old bulletins and catalogs, even my prize edition print of the 'scored' General (killiam), he was so happy he threw in a couple of sound comedies to boot - Not a bad barter, now the search continues...Shorty

Del Phillipson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 27, 2007 01:15 PM      Profile for Del Phillipson   Email Del Phillipson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually paid including postage (which was £20.00) a grand total of......................................

£120.00 [Big Grin]
Not too shabby

Louis Li
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 27, 2007 01:27 PM      Profile for Louis Li   Email Louis Li   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
US$65 for a canon814XL and a canon1014

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 27, 2007 04:02 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Del, that's a lot better than a 400ft "Raiders of the Lost Ark" which was out of sync - brand new!!! (A little "in joke" for Del). [Wink] [Smile]

--------------------

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 27, 2007 04:06 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had two best buys;

Car boot sale purchase of a box of 8 Walton 200fters, all sound and in their original boxes and in great shape, plus a chinnon sound projector. £10 the lot

4 x feature films in their original vinyl cases; That's Entertainment, West Side Story, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers and Easter Parade. £80 the lot from a local photographic shop.

I'd love to have a few more finds like that [Roll Eyes]

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Del Phillipson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 27, 2007 04:18 PM      Profile for Del Phillipson   Email Del Phillipson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about bargains, but a very good day at the office today, I think I'm going to go out and get drunk [Big Grin]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC