8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » The most unrepeatable digest/feature (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The most unrepeatable digest/feature
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted June 07, 2007 04:35 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It has several times this forum discussed re the most repeatable sigest/feature.

But I am curious in finding the opposite. What do you think the most unrepeatable digest or feauture?

(I, my self, don't have any feature, but if "Home Alone" is avaialble in 8mm, then this will be my most unrepeatable)

thanks,

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 07, 2007 04:46 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats an easy one!!

My nomination is THE GREAT DIAMOND CHASE AKA POPSY POP AKA DIAMONDS ARE DEATH starring the lovely Claudia Cardinale and a very embarressed looking Stanley Baker who has very little to do,the Mountain editor had a field day removing large sections of plot which left the remaining story a bit of a mess!!

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 07, 2007 07:54 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have several nominations based on my actually viewing them once and never again. UA8's two part Incredible Shrinking Woman (terrible quality print), UA's Raven.( hack job on editing) UA's Smokey and the Bandit Part II ( which was terrible in itself and wasn't helped by very very soft focus). Ken's Day the Earth Stood Still. (would have liked to seen what Castle editors would have done). You know, thinking about it, having had or seen hundreds of digests, there were not that many really bad ones that I've come across. Oh, forgot one more...the one reel Castle Abbott and Costello Meet the Mummy.....a total editorial mess. Some films are easier than others to condense and that's one of them that is just too hard to cut down.

Kurt Gardner
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 07, 2007 08:44 AM      Profile for Kurt Gardner   Author's Homepage   Email Kurt Gardner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It IS tough to come up with just a few, but my top votes (400', of course; 200' would be like shooting fish in a barrel) would be: "Tell Them Willie Boy Is Here," "The Chase," "Family Plot," "Cat Ballou." Maybe it's because the films they're condensed from are so dull.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted June 07, 2007 10:22 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although there are many bad edit jobs out there, my nomination for worst digest is from the same company that had perfected the craft: Castle Films. "Pirate's Haven" has absolutely nothing going for it. Ken Films and others certainly did some lousy work, but if you've ever wondered just how tedious 7 minutes and 27 seconds can be.....

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Stewart McSporran
Master Film Handler

- posted June 07, 2007 04:18 PM      Profile for Stewart McSporran   Email Stewart McSporran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I nominate the 200' "First Spaceship on Venus".

Not only is it difficult to work out what is going on, but they wasted about 60 seconds on stock footage of radar dishes spinning rather than on the story.

Although, having recently picked up a copy of the complete film on DVD, I have to say sitting through eight minutes of the film is way preferable to sitting through the full length one. (If you haven't seen it then it's full of good intentions, ideas and some decent effects, but really it's just pretty dull most of the time.)

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 07, 2007 05:22 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of my picks, (mind you, I haven't seen all of them) would be "Force 10 from Navaronne" especially the ending. The big scene of the damn and the bridge's destruction are given maybe one minute at the end of the digest instead at least a good three or four minutes, as this was a major highlight of the film.

"Coffy" was a waste of time as well. (Hey, i got it for free and watched it, but at least it's better than watching the whole feature!)

I think the top one of all is "Tintorrera" a two parter that was a very poor take-off on "Jaws".

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 07, 2007 06:52 PM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just "binned" Midnight Express(400ft)...hardly worth lacing into the projector!

--------------------
Trevor

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted June 07, 2007 10:09 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all thanks for the reply.

But I would see here that the list will easily grow up when we are talking the digest. Certainly, it is not an easy job to cut the whole feature into 7 or 16 minutes scene.

All right, how if I now limit only for two parter until full feature.

Please give your comment.

thanks

--------------------
Winbert

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 08, 2007 09:49 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I guess that the 120m-digest of "Bridge on the River Kwai" is one of the worst: First the soldiers come in whistling for about 10 minutes, then suddenly a bridge explodes (for no reason), Alec Guinness dies (for no reason) ... and that's it. Disgusting!

I've also sold several Italian/Spanish Western and some Karate-Movies from Hong-Kong where the digests only consisted of unknown men fighting/killing each other without any cause. I can't remember the titles - but I fear that the full length versions of these films aren't any better ;-)

Jörg

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 08, 2007 11:34 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I liked "Coffey" and "The Raven"! [Razz] While not the most skillfully edited, they at least hold some entertainment value, with some story content.

Worst/unrepeatable single 400 foot digest, in my opinion-

"Dressed to Kill" (1980).

Worst/unrepeatable 2 x 400 footer-

"Xanadu".

Although, I must admit, I have watched it many times, myself. Love those songs, and Olivia is hot [Wink] . Its just not well edited as a digest, in my opinion. Plus, I was hoping for more of the popular songs.

James.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted June 08, 2007 12:11 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember a Dean Martin/Matt Helm cut-down (was it The Silencers?) being just darn boring. I watched it once then sold it. The sale helped to finance the purchase of Jaws (2x400 ft). [Wink]

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Del Phillipson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 08, 2007 01:50 PM      Profile for Del Phillipson   Email Del Phillipson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert, wow, I watch Home Alone 1 & 2 every Christmas and I must admit Christmas wouldn't be the same without it, we love em. But everybody's tastes are different, one man's treasure is another man's junk.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted June 08, 2007 05:54 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"The Exorcist" [Eek!] 400ft being one "Yuk", "Raise The Titanic" 600ft flat version which was loaned to me lately, faded, badly edited, totally lost me, [Roll Eyes] switched the lamp of near the end, hope the Scope version was better than that. [Wink]

Graham. [Smile]

PS Just remembered those dumb Columbia 400ft Jerry Lewis movies [Eek!]

Douglas Meltzer

- posted June 08, 2007 06:07 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham,

I feel the 600' version (Edited by Ken Locke) of "Raise the Titanic" is far superior to the fairly dull feature. Then again, I thought the 400' "Exorcist" was a halfway decent cut.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Frank Picaro
Film Handler

- posted June 08, 2007 06:26 PM      Profile for Frank Picaro   Email Frank Picaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must be 'film starved', because I can't think of one film which I have screened which I haven't shown over and over again. Maybe it's because my kids were the audience when they were younger, and now my grandkids are the audience.

Another possibility is that I only purchase the films I want. All I know is that our hobby is tops, as are the members of the forum. Proud to be a part of it. [Smile]

--------------------
Seems? I know not seems!!

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted June 08, 2007 07:07 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Doug
The print of Raise The Titanic was loaned to me from another forum member who had told me how disappointed he was after getting this print from the UK. I had never seen the 600ft version but had read that it was supposed to be good, what surprised me was it was a "Flat version", I thought it only ever came out in "Scope", the underwater scenes you could not make out what was going on, and as the ship was coming to the surface, because the image was cropped from Scope, this made a very disappointing climax, I am sure that a good colour Scope print should come across better. The owner who is very keen in all things Titanic was let down and so was I.

Graham.

Andreas Eggeling
Master Film Handler

- posted June 09, 2007 10:10 AM      Profile for Andreas Eggeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

[ August 07, 2008, 09:14 AM: Message edited by: Andreas Eggeling ]

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 09, 2007 12:13 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It has to be the 400ft digest of "The Shape of Things to Come" - the re-make, with Jack Palance and Carol Lynley.Made in Canada in the late 1970's. H.G.Wells must have "spun" in his grave when this turkey was made. What a howler!!

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 09, 2007 12:45 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
For me it has to be Ivers cutdown of "Hugo the Hippo". I yawned all the way through this 400 footer and only watched it the once.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 09, 2007 02:10 PM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey thats a thumbs up for COFFY for me too!!!

Great Blaxploitation movie in my opion and the digest just concentrates on the OTT violence which is really tame by todays standards but in 1975 it was the only way in the UK to see the uncut scenes as the film censor had a field day cutting out all the best bits!!

The US print I have now has perfect colour too!!

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted June 10, 2007 12:09 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kev
I thought Hugo was cute, "just kidding" I bet little pink Hugo has now turned red. [Wink]

Graham [Smile]

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted June 10, 2007 05:35 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paradise Alley just about does it for me.

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 11, 2007 04:31 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Andreas Eggeling
Jörg, which "River Kwai" version do you think?
The early columbia or the later piccolo edition??

I was thinking of the letterboxed piccolo-version.

Jörg

Stewart McSporran
Master Film Handler

- posted June 12, 2007 04:18 PM      Profile for Stewart McSporran   Email Stewart McSporran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just remembered the 400' Dracula (the Frank Languela one) which has a dreadful 3 minute talking head from some studio boss prior to the action. That put me off watching it so much that I sold my copy!

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC