8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What is the print that your REALLY looking for? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: What is the print that your REALLY looking for?
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 15, 2007 10:07 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that if us folks out there really knew what some of us are looking for, (as our collections may be nearly complete), it might help to know what said title is :

I think my pick might be obvious to everyone associated with this forum, but here goes ...

CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND (SCOPE/FEATURE)

I have every other scope sci-fi feature that are "must haves"
on super 8 (Poltergeist/STAR WARS/Logan's Run/Alien), but this one is the "lost ark" of titles I yearn for.

There's many others that I could collect, but that's the only "must have" left.

How's about you?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 15, 2007 02:37 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Stop trying to make me feel guilty [Wink]
Carry on features for me. K.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Jean-Christophe Deblock
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 15, 2007 02:50 PM      Profile for Jean-Christophe Deblock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello;

For me, THE "must have" feature is "AIRPORT"!

But, in super 8, it's absolutely impossible to have it! I think it doesn't exist.

Perhaps in 16mm... one day...

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted June 15, 2007 05:01 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've chased the 2x400ft U8 of The Blues Brothers for many years and found it a few months ago, so now I really don't have any idea of what to look for on Super 8.
Current quest is for teasers and trailers from all of the Pixar films in 35mm.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Frank Picaro
Film Handler

- posted June 15, 2007 06:04 PM      Profile for Frank Picaro   Email Frank Picaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're not making me feel guilty, just JEALOUS! [Wink]

My 'must have' has always been THE YEARLING, with its gorgeous photography, and terrific story.

Someday, I hope. [Smile]

--------------------
Seems? I know not seems!!

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted June 15, 2007 06:46 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone knows what I'm after, I'm ready to buy and/or trade - Shorty

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 15, 2007 06:58 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A full length "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" would be great!

That moment at the end where Ethel Merman slips on the banana skin and falls on her butt has always warmed my heart...(especially since I became a son-in-law.)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 15, 2007 07:30 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve ...

Your related to Ethel Merman? Interesting, it explains so much ....

Kevin F. I didn't even mention you. Could it be your CONSCIENCE???? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

(still have the cash available Kev.)

hee hee hee heee!

(A mere mortal is not supposed to have as much fun as I)

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 15, 2007 07:45 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No,

Actually she's a little closer to Margaret Hamilton in the "Wizard of Oz"...

Take that as you may...

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 16, 2007 06:58 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For me, its.......

"FREE EATS"!

This was one of the last releases of Blackhawk's Little Rascals shorts. It was released around 1980 I think. One of my favorite LR shorts, and one of the few that I don't already own.

James.

Barry Johnson
Master Film Handler

- posted June 16, 2007 08:12 AM      Profile for Barry Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For me its an old silent film-"TRANSCONTINENTAL LIMITED",a good old railway yarn from the silent days.

--------------------
Standard8 rules!!

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 16, 2007 10:07 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
KOYANNISQATSI or BARAKA full length in stereo for me.

CG

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 16, 2007 12:39 PM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
KILL BILL-JAPANESE UNCUT VERSION SCOPE 6 X 400FT...Well I can dream can't I??

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 16, 2007 01:42 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ummm,

Have we entered the realm of film prints that REALLy don't exist on Super 8mm?

--------------------

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 16, 2007 05:29 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Osi I think that is the case.
The problem now is that for any company such as Derann and CHC to release further titles they have to know they are going to sell a certain number of prints and with some of those titles like Chips they are probably not going to appeal to the masses so wouldn't get released.
These days they have to be titles which are repeatable otherwise collectors wont pay out the high prices for new prints. Also they have to be able to source the origination to have the negative made from. I bet some of these film studios these days don't even know what super 8 is [Frown] let alone get origination out of them for release on super 8.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 16, 2007 05:36 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Kevin.

It must be difficult for companies like Derann, or CHC. Take for instance, "Master and Commander". Now, this title would be far more desireable for folks in the U.K. , for instance, as it's about the British heyday on the waves.

However, this title wouldn't appeal as much to those other than the U.K. however. Oh, I'm sure that those other than U.K. customers have bought it, but I would be willing to bet that most of the sales were U.K. customers.

What I would suggest for Derann and CHC is that they find
"International Friendly" feature releases, which would most certianly boost sales, even in this high cost modern era of film collecting.

--------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted June 16, 2007 11:17 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sticking with the original thread of what existing super 8 prints do we want, I'm still looking for Derann's cutdown of "Taste the Blood of Dracula". I also know there's a print of "Monster of Piedras Blancas" somewhere out there.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 17, 2007 02:57 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Beside a print of Osi's favourite film CE3K (my favourite too!) I would like one of those elusive F/L prints in scope of "GOLD" Iver released in the late 70's, I know they are out there (rumoured to be 50 prints or less in scope), but I've yet to come accross one in all my 8mm dealings.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 17, 2007 04:03 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, surely the subject matter of Master and Commander is not that important. The fact is it is a great film and that is all that matters. I think it's the most accurate portrayal of what it would have been like to have been on one of those vessels I have ever seen. Even if it had have featured the French as the main characters I would have still thought as much of it.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 17, 2007 04:50 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Doug your right about "Monster of Piedras Blancas" being out there...I have a copy [Smile]

Got it off eBay years ago and have never seen another copy for sale anywhere since.

Kev.

--------------------

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 17, 2007 05:00 AM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
being the classic buff that I am,I couldn't but repeat my dream on 'Charge of the light brigade'...

--------------------
Yannis

Dave Cragg
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 17, 2007 01:04 PM      Profile for Dave Cragg   Email Dave Cragg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which film would I love to find?
Hmmm, of those that I know exist, it would have to be 'Enter The Dragon' full length.
Films I would love, but don't know whether they exist on Super 8; Deliverance, Get Carter, The Wicker Man.
Well I can hope! [Smile]

Dave

--------------------
Wide eyed novice.

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 17, 2007 02:09 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would think if there really was demand for such a title, the original director or producers would release a print for copy, under agreements of rights of course. Providing, too, they are still alive to make more money on the deal.

CG

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 17, 2007 03:05 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An interesting thought Chip, though Super 8mm is so under the radar that those directors/producers probably don't even know of thier existence. HOWEVER, if you know of the Directors/producers addresses or how to get ahold of them, a write to them could suprisingly give forth with some very pleasant results.

As to "Deliverance" and such, I'm sure that there were optical sound super 8 prints of that. I doubt "Wicker Man" would even exist on optical for, as you well know, the excessive nudity in the film would cause large portions of the film to be snipped.
I tell you, if I could get ahold of Super 8 lab facilities, I would damn well release illegal prints if I had to, (of limited number) to collectors, just to get prints out there, (ah, it would be great to be a pirate!

Yeah, that's right!! I said it!! I would defy the "man", given having the negatives!!

Doug, I think I've seen prints of "Taste the Blood of Dracula" around. I'm not sure if it's the same film, but I know that Paul Foster has a Dracula feature right now, though I don't know if it's that same feature.

Oh, John, the comments about "Master and Commander" aren't a "against U.K." slam in any way, it's just a film that would appeal far more to a british crowd, I believe, than an american consumer, not that americans are the end-all of consumers. I just feel that Derann and CHC could do better by selecting a feature that will have farther reaching appeal, as they're selection of many a classic proves from thier past releases, such as the many sci-fi films they have released ...

otherwise, I wouldn't have STAR WARS or ALIEN as a feature in my collection!

--------------------

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 18, 2007 03:07 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

Did you know that the original story that "Master and Commander" was based on saw the British Navy chasing after the Americans, but as Universal funded it, they changed it to the French so it would be more acceptable to the U.S. market. It's nice to see everyone here enthusiastic about new releases, but apart from short subjects, the reality of bringing a new feature to the market is enormous, and I don't think anyone should forget it. Firstly if you can find a 35mm source print to work from, everyone has a different idea what would be a good 8mm release, but when you're governed by the fact that the source print is a "do it" or "Don't do it", then the likes of Derann have to be brave and commit to a title they may not be sure about. I remember Derek Simmonds talking to me before Disney's "Hunchback of Notre Dame" came out, he admitted to me he thought he would be lucky to get his money back on that release, but again it was a case of going ahead with, what at the time was a big title, or having nothing as a new release. The big factor these days is the cost of the negative, it's this cost that must be recovered before anything, and if it is thought that not enough prints will be sold to cover the cost, then I'm afraid it's pure ecconomics that takes over. The trouble is, that something of the quality like "Master and Commander" rarely surfaces these days, and unless some adventuorous collectors can come up with a decent title that will fit all the criteria listed above, then we will have to be lucky to get something everyone would be happy with.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC