8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What is the print that your REALLY looking for? (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: What is the print that your REALLY looking for?
Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 25, 2007 11:30 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, I take it P&S was really supposed to be SP?
If yes then no there were later prints produced which were on LPP.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

|  IP: Logged

Christopher Quinn
Film Handler

- posted June 25, 2007 11:35 AM      Profile for Christopher Quinn   Email Christopher Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, I meant Pan & Scan - ie. films which were shot in widesreen are printed in full frame causing cropping (excepting films shot open matte of course).

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 25, 2007 11:51 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok That makes sense now. Yes is probably the correct answer to your question. I think that most titles I have seen are P&S.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted June 25, 2007 11:58 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, both Elmo GSs (800 and 1200), as well as some specific ST models (160, 800 and 1200), and the SC8 feature optical sound.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 25, 2007 02:52 PM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The top of the range Yelco 3600 Stereo also had Optical sound, but it used the same exciter as the Eumig M&O, so hard to come by, but a nice machine though.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 25, 2007 03:25 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't recieved "For Your Eyes Only" yet, it's in the mail, but I have bought a number of times from this fella, and he has
never steered me wrong, so I can assume that the colour is just fine.

Concerning letterboxing and widescreen on optical sound super 8, there aren't too many letterboxed optical super prints, and those that are out there were made in the U.K. Two come to mind, both British releases, "Conduct Unbecoming" (good drama) and "Shout At The Devil" (Lee Marvin/Roger Moore) great action picture, which I'M STILL trying to find.

Though the U.K. optical sound airline features have lower sound output, (due to the way the optical tracks were coated), they have one up on the american releases, in that they had not only features, but a variety of TV shows, ("Department S", for instance.) and in all cases, the focus was impeccable! I have noticed that the U.K. airline features tended to have a better film stock as a heneral rule, as the 70's prints have tended to age very well. My prints of "Rising Damp" and "The 39 Steps"
have aged very well.

Which brings up a question, if films like "Rising Damp" a feature based on a U.K. classic comedy, (quite funny) I wonder if I might have a chance of finding "Are You Being served: the movie" on Super 8 optical? I'd be willing to bet that it was out there.

Barry, do you or anyone else in the U.K. happen to know?

Good heavens, this is becoming a monster post!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 25, 2007 04:23 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

Ive wondered the same question myself as there do seem to be a lot of 'Rising Damp' prints around. I see at least one or two copies of this film at EVERY Ealing that ive been to and on other sales lists. Its probably that the rights were easy to get hold of so they picked that film and printed hundreds of copies, all optical.

I cant remember ever seeing Are you being served, does this exist on super 8. Also what about On the Buses?

Graham

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 25, 2007 07:21 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps it's because, (at least over here, stateside) Rising Damp is literally unknown today, no doubt more well known in the U.K.

I would think that when these were released, the rights were automatically given, as, (at least in the case of the American film companies), these films were coming out right at the original release dates, (except in the somewhat rare case of a re-issue on optical sound).

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 27, 2007 09:18 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I forgot to mention, a film that I always thought would go well on super 8, (especially in scope!) would be,

"Twilight Zone: The Movie"

It was nicely divided into four stories. It would be perfect for Super 8 release as, each story would fit on one reel each, (4X600ft) and if a collector only liked one story,
"For instance, "The Thing on the Wing", they coould just buy that one reel.

Perfect ... eh?

--------------------

Marshall Crist
Master Film Handler

- posted June 02, 2014 10:47 PM      Profile for Marshall Crist   Email Marshall Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reviving this ancient topic. The film I am most looking for at the moment is the 400' digest of THE REDEEMER. Not holding my breath.

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 03, 2014 02:26 AM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would very much like to obtain Polanski's THE FEARLESS VAMPIRE KILLERS (Derann, Scope),but only at a reasonable price!

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted June 03, 2014 02:55 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would be a happy man if I found the following (ranked in order)

Alien, 1979
The Thing (Carpenter)
Escape From New York
Terminator
The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
Star Wars (1977)

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted June 03, 2014 03:02 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
All of what is on Viders list but many others besides including:-
1/Silence Of The Lambs
2/Speed
3/Mary Poppins (Had it already once!...Damn)
4/Jungle Book
5/The Lion King
6/Lady & The Tramp
7/All Marilyn Monroe Features
8/The King & I

and many many more! lol

[ June 03, 2014, 04:28 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 03, 2014 11:51 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, your incredible luck has worked against you, Vidar ...

You've really lucked out on some incredibly low prices for some classic and usually expensive super 8 features, (was that 30.00 or so dollars you paid for Casablanca? wonderful!) ...

But that creates an expectation that you'll luck out at all times, sometimes, while you would love to find that print you mentioned at a bargain price, well, sometimes you'll just have to pay more for something that you really want ...

But hey, who knows, I might hear next week that you secured a print of that title for 20.00 bucks! You never know! [Smile]

--------------------

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted June 03, 2014 12:18 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ha, ha! Sometimes ones lucky. I do expect to pay a lot more for Alien or any of those really. I'd gladly spend 400-500 dollars on Alien, if it's in good condition

Casablanca was a nice find, I believe it was only checked, as only reel one had the tapes removed. I paid 25 GBP which is between 30 and 40 somewhere. 250,- Norwegian crowns. Would any price make you let go of your Star Wars print? ;-) I guess I know the answer :-)

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted June 03, 2014 12:21 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still keep hoping for the first reel of the full feature of the warriors and the full feature of silence of the lambs [Wink]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted June 03, 2014 04:27 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
We shall go Dutch then Tom & share when one finally ever comes up for sale! l.o.l.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted June 03, 2014 05:00 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 04, 2014 12:03 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vidar, if I ever sell my "ALIEN" scope print, I will certainly let you know, you will be first in line, (if you don't get it before then) ...

But don't put me on a timeline for that print, ya hear? [Smile]

--------------------

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted June 04, 2014 12:52 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds good to me :-) I won't rush anything, but will be looking still :-) Your Star Wars is of high interest too

Thanks, Osi

Ernie Zahn
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 04, 2014 02:00 PM      Profile for Ernie Zahn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My fictitious want is The Dark Knight (scope) either as a feature or a digest. Osi, put this in my head with another thread and I've never stopped thinking about it!

My real want is the 3x400 Westworld. I had the 1x400 version but I think the 3x400 version is the perfect length for this film.

--------------------
Check out the trailer for my feature length Spaghetti-style Western:

Six and Bisti

Clay Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 06, 2014 12:26 AM      Profile for Clay Smith   Email Clay Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was Peter Bogdanavich "The Last Picture Show" ever released on Super 8?
That would be the one I'd really want.
And Casablanca.

Pete Richards
Master Film Handler

- posted June 06, 2014 01:12 AM      Profile for Pete Richards   Email Pete Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have Star Wars and Empire on Super8, will be parting with them both as have found them on 35mm.

Still looking for Jedi on Super8, would love to have it.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 06, 2014 11:31 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Ernie ... [Big Grin] (snicker) ...

... and while your at it Ernie, "Westworld" was released as a optical sound feature. The funny thing is that it was censored. One short scene, the prostitute robot scene in the upstairs hotel, was cut out, which is so danged strange, as there is, from memory, no nudity there!

The print runs a very full 4X400ft. Color is slightly off. The only really terrible thing about the print is that, for some odd reason, reels two and three have decent focus, while reel 1 and 4 have marginal focus, (especially reel 4 ... sheesh!!)

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC