8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Red Fox Films ....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Red Fox Films ....
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 28, 2007 07:01 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having had fun watching "Ride in the Whirlwind" feature film released by Red Fox films, it inspires a little question :

How long did Red Fox films continue?

I have noticed that most Red Fox films releases tend to still have pretty good colour. ("Ride" appears to be on early Ag stock).

Also, how many features/shorts did they release?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted June 28, 2007 07:10 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SALUTE TO STAN LAUREL (1965) CBS 3X400' S8SOUND
Edgar Kennedy/Leon Errol RKO shorts (Where they got preprint materials, I have no idea); CUTIE ON DUTY, A PANIC IN THE PARLOR, RADIO RAMPAGE, WILL POWER, others
A TREE IN A TEST TUBE (1943) PETE SMITH WAR-TIME SHORT W/L&H (Technicolor)
Think I still have one of the winking-eye fox boxes - Shorty

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 28, 2007 07:23 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I have the Errol Flynn feature of The Adventures of Robin Hood on Red Fox and it's absolutely superb. The colours jump off the screen. They really managed to capture the vibrant colours of the original. It knocks spots off the Derann release which has now faded on most prints. The Red Fox print is on Kodak LPP polyester stock. Its one of my all time greats and I was very disappointed when my Derann copy started to show signs of the dreaded Eastman fade. I was so pleased when I managed to get this Red Fox print which is excellent in all ways [Smile]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted June 29, 2007 01:07 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had the original Red Fox release of Poltergeist and colours were great.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 29, 2007 02:36 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Red Fox kept going until the mid to late 80's and then Derann went in and did a deal for a lot of their negatives just before they closed down.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted June 29, 2007 03:46 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the change occurred in 1983 or 1984. I was receiving their tabloid-style catalog on a regular basis and, from one issue to the other, Super 8 completely disappeared, replaced by VHS and Laserdiscs.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 29, 2007 05:38 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's almost suprising to hear that Red Fox had rights to "Poltergeist", but perhaps not.

... as Derann was able to secure "Master and Commander" only a few years after it's release.

Someone hit it on the head on an earlier post, (on another post, that is), The former fellow at Derann championed things so
and went to battle to get so many of those Derann features out there.

Therefore, someone who has the finacial clout. Better yet, someone who rebels against the thought of digital and might be willing to fight the fight to get more features out there.

Now granted, Not everyone has my kind of mindset, but lets say you have some person in the Hollywood arena, who has more money than he'll ever need, who would be willing to just invest
say, $500,000 to get the film labs "in-house" and just get the thing going.

I can personally say, that if I had those kind of funds, (if you market your CD's just right, you can literally live off the interest alone.) I would be happy to invest in getting an american Super 8mm film company going again!

alas, all the wrong people have all the money!

--------------------

Frank Picaro
Film Handler

- posted June 30, 2007 12:50 PM      Profile for Frank Picaro   Email Frank Picaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, I'm sure THEY don't think they're the wrong people, of which, sadly, I'm not one. [Frown]
A super 8 film company would be fantastic. To have access to new films makes us all drool. Thank God we can rely on DERANN to feed our cinematic appetite. Still, having a DERANN satellite here in the states is the ideal scenario for those of us here. Dave Thomas Films on ebay does deal with DERANN. He's a grand fellow, and very helpful [Smile]

To all our British friends, keep that stiff upper lip after those maniacs left their deadly cars. Our thoughts are with you, friends.

--------------------
Seems? I know not seems!!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 30, 2007 04:11 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually gave this some more thought ... hows about this?

It would be a company that, given they would pay in advance for the film, they could bring in any 16MM negative
and have a copy made on Super 8 of thier beloved 16MM, and
all they'd have to pay for was the film!

--------------------

Frank Picaro
Film Handler

- posted June 30, 2007 04:41 PM      Profile for Frank Picaro   Email Frank Picaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would finding 16mm negatives be difficult? I very rarely see any on ebay It's an interesting idea, nevertheless!
Until that happens, searching the web for films fills the void.

--------------------
Seems? I know not seems!!

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 30, 2007 05:26 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Frank for those words of sympathy. I work in Soho London and those two cars were just round the corner from me. One thing about the London workers is that they wont let the likes of those people bring them down and will carry on keeping the city alive and humming regardless.
As of this evening the UK is now on it's highest security alert so hopefully these sicko's will not be able to get in or out of the country and this also means that our police will be on an even higher alertness......fingers crossed we have them licked.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 01, 2007 01:52 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is of course, completely off track from the start of this post, but isn't it intersting how we are highly entertained by
terrorism on film, (Black Sunday, for instance), and then are
horrified when it happens in reality? That's no reflection on people, british or otherwise.

As stated before, best wishes to our U.K. friends. Here's hoping they catch the S.O.B.s REAL SOON!!

Back to Red Fox. It sounds as if they were, overall, a higher class super 8 company. I must say that thier negatives must have been above average.

I really appreciate thier release of ads of thier time. I have two reels of ads from them, two reels, 400ft. which are compilations of 2X200ft. sets. One of them are advertising TV ads, the other is 16MM TV ads for theatrical feature films. Both reels are okay, (somewhat grainy), but the rarity of them makes them fun, (as well as remembering some of them ole ads.)

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC