8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Popeye Technicolor Specials on Super 8?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Popeye Technicolor Specials on Super 8?
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 14, 2007 05:25 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Derann has the first of the Popeye specials available, (Popeye meets Sinbad the sailor), but did anyone besides Niles films release the other two Popeye specials? They were ...

Popeye meets Ali baba and his Forty Thieves
Popeye meets Aladdin

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Joshua Vega
Film Handler

- posted August 14, 2007 08:55 PM      Profile for Joshua Vega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't found the two latter films, but found Sinbad The Sailor by ATLAS on ebay for 22 dollars (I was looking for Popeye films because i'm a big fan of the spinach eating sailor!) http://cgi.ebay.com/SUPER-8-POPEYE-IN-SINBAD-THE-SAILOR-atlas-sterex-SOUND_W0QQitemZ9100286740QQihZ011QQcategoryZ41676QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted August 15, 2007 04:00 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I picked up a Popeye film which was released by Film Office in France. It has an Optical soundtrack and a very good sounding one at that. Don't know how many other Popeye titles they released?

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 15, 2007 04:24 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

this webpage lists 121 entries for "Popeye":
http://www.super8online.de/gefunden.php?hersteller=&treffer=30&vk1=and&vk2=and&tit=Popeye&fnr=&orderby=titel,hersteller,filmnr&ganzeswort=0&start=0
Of course these are only 31 different films as 30 of them are available in 4 different versions each (with/without sound; colour/b&w).

Jörg

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 15, 2007 07:20 AM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I certainly know that Ken Films
released Popeye meets Aladdin
because I had a print a few
years ago.

The color was good but the
picture was slightly soft.

I am guessing that they also
had the Sinbad the Sailor.

Also from what I understand,
the new Popeye Boxed Set
has been released here.

Well blow me down.
It contains all shorts
from 1933-38.

I thinks that Aladdin was released
in 1939, but I am not sures if it
contains the color 2 reelers.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 15, 2007 07:37 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thunderbird Films released a fairly decentSuper 8mm print of Popeye Meets Ali Baba ....albeit just a tad soft focus. Color wasn't too bad. I have a Niles print of Sinbad....the color was half gone on the preprint to begin with. There are new restored versions of both films running around in 16mm for a pretty expensive price...but the color screen shots I've seen are spectacular. Ali Baba is my favorite Popeye of all...and one of my favorite cartoons of any type.

Robert Wales
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 15, 2007 07:59 AM      Profile for Robert Wales   Email Robert Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I seem to remember that just about everyone released the Popeye two-reel cartoons at one time as they were in the public domain.

The new Popeye DVD collection 1933-1938 includes the first two technicolor two-reelers but not Aladdin as that was released in 1939. It is expected in the next set due next year. The quality of these new editions is astonishing as they are finally produced from original negative material rather than prints. They also feature the original titles which were partially removed by the tv distributor many years ago.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted August 15, 2007 09:17 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the Atlas "Popeye Meets Aladdin". Before I saw that, I never knew that Atlas released any sound prints. The color is ok and the print is grainy but there's approx. two minutes missing!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 15, 2007 10:56 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I personally prefer the old black and white Popeye's to the later Technicolor ones in the 50's. And really the best prints are on 9.5mm, where a lot of the Popeye films were printed up by Pathescope who had an exclusive deal with Paramount. I find the 9.5mm prints are far superior to the 8mm or S8 prints - much sharper with really great contrast.

-

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 15, 2007 10:37 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice screen shot there. I'm betting that part of the reason for the beautiful prints on 9.5 is that they made shortly thereafter the original films were released. I like how they are the perfect square box image as that is the way the original film prints looked.

I would love to find one of those Ken Film or Atlas prints.
The Niles print wasn't perfect focus either. I kind of thought that the Niles print had faded colour to begin with.

I have that DVD box set, and that restored title card sequence is amazing, but what is even better is that the desert scenes are beautifully restored. In the super 8 prints I have seen, the desert scenes always seem to be too bright, and the blue skies are non-existent on Super 8mm. Is that the story with all Popeye meets Ali Baba prints? (on Super 8mm)

--------------------

Joshua Vega
Film Handler

- posted August 17, 2007 09:29 PM      Profile for Joshua Vega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, everyone at this topic. I have the DVD Popeye: 1933-1938, and as it has been said earlier, it has the 2 first 2-reeler color Popeyes released by Max Fleischer. Popeye Meets Sinbad The Sailor (1936) and Popeye Meets Ali Baba's 40 Thieves. Aladdin and his wonderful lamp was excluded from the dvd because it was from 1939. It was the last (good) color Popeye (released by Max Fleischer). In April, 1942, Max Fleischer Studios became Famous Studios.

Nice Screenshot, Paul Adsett of the Fleischer cartoon, I-ski Love-ski You-ski (1936)

BTW Popeye Volume 2 Comes out in November!

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 17, 2007 10:15 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is not a screen shot, but an enlargement of the actual 9.5mm film.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 18, 2007 09:29 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the boxed set as well, and I plan on re-recording the Sinbad the Sailor and Ali Baba, but it will be tricky, as the restored versions have the complete titles, which the Super 8mm copies wouldn't have them, as they involve the paramount logo's.

Kevin, those optical sound super 8's are sadly (in my opinion) the non-Max Fleischer's, which, while quite a bit better than the crap put out these days, cannot compare to the Max films.

By the way, Disney put out quite a few titles in optical sound.

There were a number of great Black and White Popeye's released over the years. One of the best, (and I happen to have it) is the second Popeye release, "Blow Me Down" with that wonderful big chinned vulgar Popeye. (it also had those characteristic low brow humor, such as Olive getting her foot caught in a spit-toon while she dances, and Popeye getting a big kick out of it)

--------------------

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 19, 2007 03:56 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

Check out your Super 8 print of
Ali Baba. All prints have that
sequence where the sound is
out of sync and this may
be your chance to tweak
it closer to what has been
a known flaw since frames have
been missing for many years.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC