8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Derann's releases on 600, 800 or 1200"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Derann's releases on 600, 800 or 1200"
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted August 22, 2007 11:29 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear all,

Price wise, I cannot buy the full feature from Derann, but would still like to buy their releases.

So could you guys give me the list of Derann's digest releases between 600", 800 (2 x 400") and 1200" those were released after 1980s. Films must be in colour.

Please noted that the cut of sequence such as "Gladiator" or "Lord of the Rings" is not counted, since I just want to have those digests that have a begginning and story ending.

I have knew that these are available:

1. Sound of Music (1200")
2. Never Ending Story (600")
3. Police Academy (1200")
4. ??

thanks,

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Douglas Meltzer

- posted August 22, 2007 11:42 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert,

There's also:
Capricorn One (600' scope)
The Fog (600' scope)
Gremlins (2x600' stereo)
Q, The Winged Serpent (600')
Superman II (2x600' scope)
The Wild Geese (3x400')

Derann also released "Carrie" and "Rollerball" in 2x400' versions, but they are edited out of sequence.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Pablo Alvarez Roth
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2007 12:47 AM      Profile for Pablo Alvarez Roth   Email Pablo Alvarez Roth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the fog, 600' scope, and gremlins 2x600' wow, I would love to see that in my collection, but these must be a real treasure to find in the last year I have been collecting I have never seen these digests. wow! I want one now!!

cheers
pablo.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted August 23, 2007 01:05 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Doug,

But I think Carrie, Rollerbal and Wild Geese are also not counted since it came from pre-80s (which can be printed on fade stock or at least Kodak SP, which can also fade). Correct me if I am wrong.

So the list is now:

1. Sound of Music (1200")
4. Capricorn One (600' scope)
5. The Fog (600' scope)
6. Gremlins (2x600' stereo)
7. Q, The Winged Serpent (600')
8. Superman II (2x600' scope)
9. ???

anything else?

thanks,

--------------------
Winbert

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2007 02:35 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert,

"The Sound of Music" was released as a 3x600' edition and not a 1200' edition as you think (along with the F/L prints of course).

Also there were 600' editions of "Raise the Titanic" (Flat & Scope), "Who Dares Wins" and in the 2x600's "633 Squadron" (Scope), "The Colditz Story".

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted August 23, 2007 05:05 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Barry,

1. Raise the Titanic (600")
4. Capricorn One (600' scope)
5. The Fog (600' scope)
6. Gremlins (2x600' stereo)
7. Q, The Winged Serpent (600')
8. Superman II (2x600' scope)
9. Who Dares Wins (1200")
10. 633 Squadron (2 x 600" Scope),
11. The Colditz Story (2 x 600")
12. ???

(I have made a correction regarding the Sound of Music)

please add...

--------------------
Winbert

Ralf Hoff
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2007 05:18 AM      Profile for Ralf Hoff   Email Ralf Hoff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Winbert,

the following two are also available as 1x600 footers:

THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN 1 x 600ft. Col. SCOPE
THE GREAT ESCAPE 1 x 600ft. Col. SCOPE

Yes this films are pre-80s, but the Magnificent seven are still available new at derann. So the film stock are not fad [Wink] [Razz]

Greetings
Ralf

Cine 8-16
www.celluloidfilm.de

--------------------
Arbeits- & Interessengemeinschaft Celluloidfilm
Ehrenamtlich im Einsatz für das Film-Hobby

Cine 8-16
Das Magazin rund um den perforierten Film
www.celluloidfilm.de

Xavier Gascon
Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2007 05:34 AM      Profile for Xavier Gascon   Email Xavier Gascon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, add to the list

never said never again 1983 (2x600' scope)

Regards
Xavier

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted August 23, 2007 06:50 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I have Never say never (2 x 600), Superman 2 (2 x600) and Never Ending story (1 x 600) and they are all superb. My fav for quality is Never Ending Story. The Pic quality is superb and the Stereo Soundtrack really rocks [Smile]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2007 07:26 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just thought off another three, "It's In The Air" 600' George Formby comedy & "First of the Few" 600' about the creation of the "Spitfires" of WW2, and of course the lovely edited 600' of "Genevive" that marvelous British classic (also available F/L too).

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted August 23, 2007 08:10 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kev, that must be really something as the print of Superman II is already very impressive.

(and in reference to your signature, my Xenon came back from Ugo's today and the Schneider lens is doing wonders)

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Dave Alligan
Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2007 10:22 AM      Profile for Dave Alligan   Email Dave Alligan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kev

Did you get the diner sequence that derann released as a little 200' if my memory serves me right, it really does finish off the 2 x 600' nicely especially as you get the bit where superman flies around the eartna nd smiles, what more can u say a true superhero.

Dave

Douglas Meltzer

- posted August 23, 2007 12:02 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Derann also released the opening credit sequence from Superman II which encapsulates the story of the first film. Those two add-ons really help in fleshing out the digest.

I also occasionally see a 600' "Hawk the Slayer" on used lists. Is this another one for Winbert's list?

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted August 23, 2007 07:39 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, Yes I have that extra 200ft from Derann. It also gives you the extra credits at the front.
Great all round condensation.

I still think that "The Never Ending Story" is the best for overall quality. The pic quality in Scope is outstanding and the colour is just superb. Add to that the Stereo soundtrack and you have one superb 600 footer. I don't know who did the editing of these but they did a fantastic job.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted August 23, 2007 08:09 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barry...A Man after my own heart. George Formby in Its in the Air.
Georges finest and Derann gave it the 600ft cut down works. Very VERY good B&W (on colour stock) cut down from Derann.

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 24, 2007 02:40 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin,

Good old "Uncle" Derek did the editing on "The Never Ending Story" himself (cheaper that way, although hid did a right on job!) and Mike Dimmock did the editing of "The First of the Few" if anyone is interested.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted August 24, 2007 05:49 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I take my hat off to Derek on that editing as he did a fantastic job. Kev.

--------------------

Dave Alligan
Film Handler

- posted August 24, 2007 09:37 AM      Profile for Dave Alligan   Email Dave Alligan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Barry

Was their plans to release The Neverending Story in full feature, It just seems to be in the back of my head that I once heard Derek say that he was trying for this or am I wrong.

I do remember Derek telloing me that when he asked for Gremlins with the warner bros deal they laughed at him but let him have it for his cheek but he couldnt release it full length so thats why he did it as a double 600'

Dave

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 24, 2007 10:29 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No way ... Police Academy? A 1200ft release on Super 8mm? Hell, there's not enough presentable material in that film for a 400ft.!!

(The things they used to release on Super 8!)

I have always loved the 600ft. releases of the Disney shorts, animated stuff ect. (The Snowman), as it's the full story, all on one 30 minute reel that you don't have to change reel to reel!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 24, 2007 12:17 PM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave,

Derek was pondering a 2x600' of "The Never Ending Story" but he held a poll at one of his open days and they said that a 600' was the prefered option (I would have liked a 2x600' myself). A German company did release some F/L prints of this title, but I heard the quality was nothing like Derann's though. By the way the "Police Accadamy" film on 8mm is the 2nd outing subtitled "Their First Assignment", as the 1st film was a lot racier than the others (which I prefered).

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC