8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Star Wars (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Star Wars
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 26, 2007 06:02 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well a long long time ago in a galaxy far far away, "30 years" [Roll Eyes] the face of Super8 collecting changed thanks to "Star Wars" here is a reflection of those long ago days.
 -
This is not the original box on release, which came out as a carboard box sadly I no longer have it, which I preferred
 -
The much awaited second part.
 -
I think this was the first Empire extract came out before the second part of "Star Wars" was released.
 -
and finally the second part to Empire, the final reel to be released, "to my knowledge" it was all a long time ago, so you are welcome to correct me if some of this is wrong. Its been a while since I watched the Super8 versions which are all joined onto one large home made reel, sadly I remember that some of the reels suffered from fade, such is the passage of time.

Graham.

|  IP: Logged

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted August 27, 2007 03:41 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Japanese release:

-

Larger version here.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 27, 2007 05:06 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very interesting comparisons between the different boxes.

Andreus

Regarding "Marketing films" on the first release has the colour lasted well compared to Kens.

Graham.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted August 28, 2007 01:20 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham: I have a Marketing set with stunning colours.

--------------------

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted August 28, 2007 05:49 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting images Graham. Nice to know someone still has those nice boxes. I also have the scope feature, scope 400 and others. Its endless !

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted August 28, 2007 07:23 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee, the problem with the SW scope feature from Derann is that the front cover visual is from Return of the Jedi, not from A New Hope...
Well... It's not a problem per se but it's rather odd.

--------------------

Andreas Eggeling
Master Film Handler

- posted August 28, 2007 07:24 AM      Profile for Andreas Eggeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

[ August 07, 2008, 09:06 AM: Message edited by: Andreas Eggeling ]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 28, 2007 11:47 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could anyone do a screen shot of thier AGFA german release STAR WARS prints? I would love to see the look of that print.

OSI

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 29, 2007 04:40 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The original Derann box is a bit of an odd choice.

Only thing to do is make your own cover!

-

Designed to wrap around the spine of a 4x600ft feature box [Smile]

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted August 29, 2007 06:40 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Love your box Rob.

Here is the box for the 400ft reel Scope issue with the Cinemascope sticker.
Must be loosing the plot here as last weekend I purchased a Vader costume for my Star War screenings.
Dear oh dear......
 -
Will it ever end?

[ September 19, 2011, 12:21 PM: Message edited by: Lee Mannering ]

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted August 29, 2007 06:55 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee: it will never end!

I regularly appear dressed as Vader for charity work with fellow members of the Imperial 501st. We collect toys and books from Star Wars licensees that we later give to hospitalized kids when we visit them. I have also Imperial officer uniforms (Grand Moff and Grand Admiral).

--------------------

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 30, 2007 04:13 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rob, email the full quality version of your box cover pleeeeeze! Looks bl00dy great!

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted August 30, 2007 07:33 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rob.
Outstanding job on your own artwork and a treat for my own feature print.
Kindest regards
Darth..Sorry Lee.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 30, 2007 02:24 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, sent it to your bfcc email as I'm not sure if the one I have for you is still valid.

Lee, glad you like it!

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 31, 2007 01:37 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Darn it! It hasn't come through yet. This email lark is getting as bad as the Royal Mail. Perhaps email's on strike now!

Luke... sorry, John.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 02, 2007 03:50 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, has it has arrived?

email me an another address if you like (is the one from a couple of years ago still valid?)

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 02, 2007 02:54 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you also collect "Star Wars" on 35mm, you may be interested to know that both the teaser trl, the short one with Alec Guinness in it, and the later longer version of "Revenge of the Sith" can be easily joined together by simply cutting the end credits of the teaser and the opening introduction to the longer one. I tried it out last year and it worked out very well, there does not appear to be any doubling of scenes, it flows nicely, I call this one my Super Duper "Star Wars" trl.

Graham. [Smile]

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 03, 2007 03:23 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try john.clancy at bfcc.biz Rob. That should do the trick as it always forwards to my valid address.

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 04, 2007 02:35 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can't think of a better way to remember "Star Wars" on Super8 than the front cover of this marvellous "Films to Buy and Hire" addition that came with the "Film Making" magazine May 1978, reading back over the posts, its a pity Marketing films did not do the English version as well, although to be fair to Ken Films who would have thought back then, that 30 years on people would still be enjoying and projecting Super8 films.
 -
Graham.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted September 15, 2007 03:32 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A question to our agents in Germany:
Was 'Empire' part two released in Germany first?
The US box feels like a graphic adaptation of the UFA packaging.

To UK members:
Is there any graphics for the box of Derann's release of Return of the Jedi?

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 08, 2011 06:03 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its nice to see that Darth Vader and "Star Wars" has lost none of its appeal with the young of today.

My son came round last week and we watched it, the first time scince he broke his wrist after falling of the bar stool back in the 90s, changing reels on a 16mm Scope print...we never did watch the end. That old projection box had to go as the projector was to high up...anyway we did watch it last week on the VP on DVD....much safer [Smile] although he did fall asleep near the end [Roll Eyes] ...a long working day.
 -
from the 90s..the old projection box..the B/H 16mm is way to high to safely reach.
 -
this neat photo was taken last Christmas by the local paper...incidentally everthing you see, the bridge and buildings were all badly damaged in the February quake and is an area still of limits to the public.

Graham.

Adam Deierling
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 08, 2011 06:56 PM      Profile for Adam Deierling   Email Adam Deierling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the feature? Would love to add that to my collection. Already have Jedi and love it!

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted August 08, 2011 07:33 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham

Is that you as Darth?

Pat

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 08, 2011 08:00 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No Pat [Big Grin] although I think its great that people get the stuff and entertain the kids with it. I dont think my wife would let me buy into it. [Frown]

Graham. [Smile]

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 14, 2011 07:58 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well what a surprise [Smile] went out shopping with my better half and came across "Star Wars" on Blu-ray. Three boxed sets were available. The original trilogy of "A New Hope" "The Empire Strikes Back" and "Return Of The Jedi". The Prequel Trilogy or you can buy the box set that has all six films plus 40 hours of extras.

Well my better half said "NO" to that last one, but gave me the OK for the original. I should add that those films are the 90s re-mastered versions. I would have liked the original 1977 without the extra scenes, however it does look good. [Cool]

PS. I still like my Super8 and 16mm copies though. [Big Grin]

This particular scene brought back memories, on the left side of the picture it looks like some sort of vent on the wall....well after spending many years in aviation a long long time ago and many a night shift working on the Rolls Royce Dart engine, that part is the elbow "seven of" between the compressor housing and combustion chambers it has two swing links "removed" and held on with five nuts.

How is that eh! [Big Grin]
 -
back to Super8 though I ran my Super duper Star Wars reel this afternoon all four 8mm extracts joined and edited by yours truly long ago. Its been a while since I last watched it...not bad, so if you dont want to watch the full features of Empire and Hope just join them onto one big reel, it works well.
 -
 -
Super 8 screen shots.

Graham [Smile]

[ September 15, 2011, 01:29 AM: Message edited by: Graham Ritchie ]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC