8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Worst Print on Super 8 (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Worst Print on Super 8
Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted May 26, 2015 02:55 PM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My worst print is Walton's 'Busy Bodies' Laurel & Hardy, with new box art, it's so out of focus...almost no features on faces...

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 26, 2015 03:07 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a shame: "Busy Bodies" is a great film!

I count the moment where Stan tries to unglue the paintbrush from Ollie's face using the bench-vice as my favorite Laurel and Hardy moment.

I described it an audience once as "perhaps the worst industrial safety film ever made".

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 26, 2015 03:57 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I think most companies released a couple of erm...shall we say "less than perfect" prints.

One of the factors that causes me particular cause of concern nowadays, is shrunken acetate prints.
They do tend to cause excess vertical movement and noise through the gate. Couple this with often poor definition and lots of grain on older B/W prints...and you do sometimes have to question if a title is worth purchasing in this era no matter how nostalgic and desirable.

polyester prints despite their problems beyond pre striped stock,will always be my preference choice when choosing second hand prints nowadays.

My print of W.O.W. though I love it to pieces, does as Steve C says, suffer from the same lack of definition in around the faces on anything but the close ups. [Frown]

[ May 26, 2015, 07:05 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted May 27, 2015 05:03 AM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Collectors say that the Columbia 200ft Jason & the Argonauts series has turned pink, but my copy of 'Triton Lord of the Deep' has held up well still has blues and greens and is about as good as it was when new,maybe my silicone/wax lube has helped who knows?...

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted May 27, 2015 07:01 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think this one print of a Godzilla film from UFA films. It is the only Super 8 film I have ever seen that has vinegar syndrome, and only one mag track. If i use the projector to rewind the film the normal 400ft expands to almost a 600fter! The picture is decent though.
For print quality it has to be this strange Bruce Lee film that I got off a member here. It looks like someone filmed off of the TV but its released by a film company. Absolutely terrible quality and......silent!!

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 28, 2015 06:37 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure that it got out of the lab when it was open, but my worst is reel 1 of "The Great St Trinnian's Train Robbery". I had a maximum density of brightish red, but all the greens and blues are there in sunlit scenes so it doesn't look like it has faded to pink. I bought it unboxed and the reel has a £1.50p price sticker on it. I suspect it was bought by the seller in a bulk lot when Buck Labs stopped producing Super 8.

Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted May 28, 2015 07:02 AM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Olly 'What are you doing?',Stan 'I was looking at the blue-print trying to open the window', Olly 'Why that's the blue-print of the Boulder Dam!'...

Kurt Gardner
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 28, 2015 10:24 AM      Profile for Kurt Gardner   Author's Homepage   Email Kurt Gardner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Niles again -- "Beatles in Concert" 400' B&W. Obviously the original material wasn't very good (the screaming of the crowd drowns out the music), but the print quality exacerbates the awfulness.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 28, 2015 11:54 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, Niles takes the title! The funny thing is that Niles, depending on the title, could put out a great product, if they happened to get a good negative. I remember that "It's A Wonderful Life" was a better than average super 8 print, comparing it to other super 8 companies ...

They're print of "The Little Princess" was pretty good as well, nice and sharp, which was unfortunately printed on fadey Eastman.

... but boy, how awful some prints could be! I remember "Reefer Madness" was one of those washed out messes that had to be dupe number #20 or worse!

The great thing about Niles (on the positive end of things), is that they released a great number of rare titles that no one even came close to touching, and they are to be commended for that!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC