8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Kempski edits ....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kempski edits ....
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 24, 2007 04:40 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just for the case of discussion, I have noted that kempski tended to slightly edit the features he released. In "Logan's Run" he edited out most of the scene where Logan is chased thru the "pleasure house" scene.

In "Poltergeist" Kempski edited out the pot smoking scene between the husband and wife.

In both films, the scenes were not intregal to the plot in any way, and personally, I think the films are just as good (even better, as I can show the films to a wider audience, as there is less of a chance of offending someone by film content), without them.

I would be curious if any of the other Kempski prints (films), had any other edits on his other releases.

I would note, however, that perhaps Kempski didn't edit these out. Perhaps his negatives were releases that were meant to be released at a lower rating, and therefore would have this edited out. That happens sometimes with a re-release.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 25, 2007 04:47 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

You've got to remember that as Kempski was a German company, they would most probably only been offered the European or German cut of the film, which even today can differ from the U.S. cut. So that could explain some of the differences, but it can work the other way, I know that when Derann took over the releasing of "Ben-Hur" and they wanted to release it with a stereo track, that there was about 5-6 minutes difference which was not on their stereo master, and Keith Wilton painstakinly found the missing stereo passages so that Derann could have a complete stereo master, and anyone who has seen and heard the 8mm Stereo print, are very impressed.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 25, 2007 10:00 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barry,

That's a good point about edited for foreign release, but usually, it goes the other way. A european cut of an american film tends to be an un-rated version, with all the juicy parts,

yum yum!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 26, 2007 03:39 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The German version normally lacks all scenes that are too violent or that show drug-abuse. While the US-version normally lacks all sex-scenes.
The German version will also feature some other differences, e.g. all terrorist in "Die hard" are Swedish in the German version, in the first German version of Casablanca Victor Laszlo is a spy that stole some military secrets (=no trace of concentration camps), the Western "Broken Arrow" lacks the scenes with the women complaining about being married, ... . [Wink]

Andreas Eggeling
Master Film Handler

- posted September 26, 2007 04:18 AM      Profile for Andreas Eggeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

[ August 07, 2008, 09:04 AM: Message edited by: Andreas Eggeling ]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC