8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » UPS "SUMMARY OF CHARGES"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: UPS "SUMMARY OF CHARGES"
Frank Picaro
Film Handler

- posted September 28, 2007 08:11 AM      Profile for Frank Picaro   Email Frank Picaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the second time after ordering from DERANN - a great site for collectors -, I have gotten a bill from UPS for additional charges. Is this legitimate? I thought that shipping from DERANN, which is expensive, to the states, included ALL fees. UPS is billing directly to me what they call a 'disbursement fee, and duty amount'. This hadn't happened in previous orders to DERANN. It makes me concerned about further orders from across the pond. Has anyone else experienced this??? I AM CURIOUS, RED, (for angry). [Mad]

--------------------
Seems? I know not seems!!

|  IP: Logged

Alex Fox
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 28, 2007 12:56 PM      Profile for Alex Fox   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Fox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Frank, Yes I get this when I import from Derann or from your side of the boarder. I have import duties, Federal and provincial Tax plus Brokers Fees to pay to UPS when they deliver a parcel to me and it sure does add up to the total cost and it does make one think twice about making a purchase.Hope this info helps to soften the blow. Alex

Frank Picaro
Film Handler

- posted September 28, 2007 04:31 PM      Profile for Frank Picaro   Email Frank Picaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Alex, Thanks for easing my 'fee' shock. I've ordered from DERANN 4 or 5 times, and these UPS fees only started the last 2 times. As much as I love DERANN, being retired factors in when purchasing. Living on a fixed (my wife terms it 'broken') income puts limits on what one can buy without guilt!!!

--------------------

Bob Pucci
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 28, 2007 06:07 PM      Profile for Bob Pucci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have ordered from Derann for the last four or five years and I only had to pay those fees twice.I think it goes by how Derann ships the films UPS or standard Air Mail.I just received films the other day from Derann and they were delivered by the Post Office (Air Mail).Why don't you ask for air mail.My two cents.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted September 28, 2007 06:24 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
We get the same problem when items are shipped in from the US. Our customs people stop the package and work out the tax etc based on the value of the contents.
It works the same the other way. Derann have to declare the value of the contents and once it goes above a certain amount you will have to pay duties.
Derann could put a low value down on the docs but then they wouldnt be covered for insurance if the package got lost.
Items coming into the UK are subject to tax and handling charges if the item is above £18 GBP. I know that the reverse is true of the US and that the % varies from state to state.
The only way to get round this when shipping to the US from the UK is mark the item as a "Gift" with a low value but that means that the insurance is null and void if it gets lost [Eek!]
Its a difficult one but it seems to depend on what is on the documentation.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Frank Picaro
Film Handler

- posted September 29, 2007 01:03 PM      Profile for Frank Picaro   Email Frank Picaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since I am forever hooked on film collecting, and since DERANN has such fantastic titles, plus great sale prices, I will continue my love affair [Smile] , and as Bob so wisely suggested, I will ask for air mail. Hopefully it's less expensive than UPS. Once again, this forum and you wonderful members have demonstrated your friendly manner in helping others. My sincere thanks. Frank

--------------------

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted September 29, 2007 02:06 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that if going from the uk to the usa and clearly marked cine films they are duty free in th us, or maybe they used to be not long ago.
Best Mark.

Gary Brocklehurst
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 01, 2007 06:39 AM      Profile for Gary Brocklehurst   Email Gary Brocklehurst   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Frank

When shipping to the U.S., we deduct 17.5% VAT (Value Added Tax), with the theory being that local taxes are added upon arrival, the amount added being based on the declared value. We exclusively use UPS for larger shipments due to their superior service, all for a similar cost to that of air mail parcel post. I am willing to ship any further orders via air mail post, however, although there would be no insurance cover. Please do not hesitate to contact me should you have any further queries

Kindest Regards

Gary

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted October 01, 2007 08:30 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have noticed that sometimes they add the customs here in the states and sometimes they don't. I usually dont have to pay customs here in NYC from Derann but I did have to pay customs on a shipment from Germany recently... [Frown]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC