8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » PLEASE!!! A disclaimer from OSI!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: PLEASE!!! A disclaimer from OSI!!
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 04, 2007 03:28 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many people who get Steve Osbourne's wonderful Super 8mm magazine "Reel Image", will no doubt be getting thier new issue soon. I just recieved mine.

I have an article concerning Optical sound super 8. I quote two people, John Whittle and another indivisual, (Doug Meltzer will know the name, but it escapes me at the moment).
It is the article about the visit to "Sunstrand" film company.
I had forgotten the name, i dont think that I included it in the article.

My two page article makes it sound like I was the person who had made the visit.

I just want it known that I didn't have any intention of making it sound like I made the trip, and it is merely a mistake on my part. Steve Osbourne is not responsible and it is merely an error, but not intentional.

The article, however, I should hope, is enjoyable! There is a follow-up article to be rpinted in the next issue of "Reel Image" that is completely my authorship.

I just wanted to say all that as, being an author myself, (as my website clearly shows), i would never want others to take credit for my own sweat and toil.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Eric Baucher
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 05, 2007 07:00 PM      Profile for Eric Baucher   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Baucher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
loved the article, cant wait for part two!!! I have a ST1200hd M+O but no optical films yet, wish there was a list of what is out there some where, were there any cartoons and cut downs or were they just features?

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted October 05, 2007 08:08 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eric, there are a few optical films on Ian Perry's used films list. [Smile]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 05, 2007 10:46 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah Ian's films are top notch. i have all those titles already, and I just bought, on Super 8mm optical sound, the full feature of "Point Blank" (1967, Lee marvin) I never thought that I would find that one on Super 8 in any format!

Eric, the second article deals with the pro's and Con's of collecting Optical sound Super 8mm, with a lot of great tips on what to watch out for, concerning film stocks and other tips. A must read, in my own opinion.

Part 3. is an article which is basically a list of the known titles on Super 8mm optical, (I'll give you a hint, it's up over 150 feature film titles!!) Disney released thier short subject cartoons, (I have two of them) as well as Paramount studio's, (the Popeye's from the 1950's), as well as a number of educational films, mostly 60's and early 70's educational films.

Drool drool, huh?

--------------------

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 06, 2007 02:28 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't really know if I want to collect optical sound films anymore. I will keep what I have, that is for sure. It just seems magnetic sound is better overall. It sounds better, and runs better.

I have adjusted the roller tension on my HD's as previously instructed. Regardless if I use my Towers or the machine take up arms.

The problem is the optical prints seem to stagger as it runs. Listening to the sound during normal playback, I hear good treble, then muffled treble. And this goes back and fourth during the entire reel. Everynow and then the film print looses stability, and loop restoring must be done. And that happens without bad splices or sprocket issues.

Over the years I've learned so much about super 8 technology. But I must admit, not being able to project optical sound movies as good as magnetic has me really stumped. I've never been much of a quitter with super 8, but I think at this point I'd reather invest good money into something that will run without problems...and good color, too. These optical prints are getting way to expensive based on color warming or outright pink fade.

Perhaps the film is so thin the polyester prints are more stable only due to the strength of the magnetic being applied? Was super 8 optical short lived right from the beginning? Did it run better in those cassettes onboard the planes? Might it not be designed properly to hold up to standard reel to reel projection?

Comments appreciated - correct me if wrong. I could change my mind and get more optical if I am overlooking something here.

Chip
Running a pair oif ST1200HD's with optical

Christopher Quinn
Film Handler

- posted October 06, 2007 04:08 PM      Profile for Christopher Quinn   Email Christopher Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have to send an email to get a hold of Ian Perry's list?

Douglas Meltzer

- posted October 06, 2007 07:53 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christopher,

Ian O'Reilly posts his "Perry's Movies" list in the 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted section of this Forum. His most recent list can be found here.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 06, 2007 08:23 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chip ...

I don't know about your particular projectors, but I have a Eumig Mark S O&M (now in need of repair), and it has always projected smoothly, though i will agree that the sound can vary from print to print.

As stated in earlier posts, The U.K. prints didn't have a coating on the prints which allowed for louder sound. The U.S. film labs used the coating.

The one point that i like best about optical sound Super 8 is that except for one exception, the Super8 optical have had superior image quality, extremely sharp. the only print I have ever ran across that wasn't superior in every regard (besides sound) is Tender Mercies,which, while being an exceptional drama, has an anoyingly hard to focus picture.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC