8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » OHMSS V YOLT

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: OHMSS V YOLT
Robert Tucker
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 07, 2007 08:56 AM      Profile for Robert Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi I was reviewing a print of OHMSS last night, and I find the quality of the print the best I have ever seen on Super 8. But the only down fall is the sound Sync as it was very hard to get the print to sync.

Also the print will need to be lubricated as the picture moved about from side to side from time to time. Can anyone recommend a good film cleaner for lubrication process

Can you tell me if the new full length release of YOLT is of the same quality and has the same problem with the sound as OHMSS?

|  IP: Logged

Christopher Quinn
Film Handler

- posted October 07, 2007 09:25 AM      Profile for Christopher Quinn   Email Christopher Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are the titles in German on this print Robert?

Dave Alligan
Film Handler

- posted October 07, 2007 10:15 AM      Profile for Dave Alligan   Email Dave Alligan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Robert

Best of luck recording OHMSS as it is a complete nightmare and i should know with the amount that I done for Classic, their are so many cuts in the film plus as well their is a section that is completely missing from the UK DVD.

Dave

Robert Tucker
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 07, 2007 05:43 PM      Profile for Robert Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OHMSS was or is a bloody nightmare to record. I think the worst part is reel 6 I think when bond try's to escape via the cable cars. And the section before the credits.

It is really a shame in relation to the sound sync as the print quality is out standing as good or better then an original 35mm or 16mm print of this title. Print is really Sharpe.

It's amazing what the Germans can do.

Dave Alligan
Film Handler

- posted October 08, 2007 11:23 AM      Profile for Dave Alligan   Email Dave Alligan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Robert

I told you it was a nightmare, I used to shuddert when i had a copy of OHMSS to do, it used to take me hours and I do mena hours to record.

The best to do are Tomorrow Never Dies & The World Is Not Enough

Dave

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 08, 2007 11:38 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ordered my You Only Live Twice new through Steve Osbourne of Reel Image.....and had the sound re-recorded through Steve's associate in Los Angeles. Absolutely lovely print...and the sound is perfect in every respect. Print is complete with only a couple of tiny negative cuts..maybe a frame or two in the orignal. perfect sync maintained. I can also recommend Thunderball.....amazing quality.

Robert Tucker
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 09, 2007 07:47 AM      Profile for Robert Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Gary,

Any chance of sending me some screen shots to see what the quality is like. As i might be interested in getting this title as it sounds you didn't have the sound sync problem, plus as a bonus it is in Stereo. The Soundtrack must sound fantastic as it has a very good film score by the great John Barry!

I would rate the OHMSS picture quality wise 10 times better then Deranns Grease release regardless of missing jump frames. when i compaired the two at the weekend.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted October 10, 2007 04:31 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To properly record in sync, in case there are bits missing on the original film (reel heads and tails, splices, missing scenes, censored scenes, etc.), I usually digitize the super 8 film - reel by reel - into my computer. Then I re-edit the dvd - to the actual frame - with crossfading effects on the soundtrack in order to eliminate any ugly sound cut. Once done, it's easier to sync the projector to the sound file instead of going stop/go/stop/go/stop/go...
Your projector will be thankful and your sync will be much better.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Robert Tucker
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 10, 2007 03:15 PM      Profile for Robert Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's sounds very good your technique on syncing the sound correctly. As I am not really happy with the recording at all. It also sounds so wobbly in places especially at the start when the credits start rolling and the soundtrack is playing in the back ground the various scores of music through out the film on the first reel let alone.

I assume this is a common problem when re-recording the soundtrack. Or may be the print needs to be lubricated as the picture tens to shift in places.

I only wish I could do this technique myself and save my projector from being miss treated. As the print quality is really beautiful in scope.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted October 11, 2007 12:16 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert, the technique takes a lot of time before actually getting into the syncing process but the result is smashing. It is explained here. And, as I said, it will be more gentle on the projector. I haven't done many features (some French films imported from Germany or Italy) but a lot of cut-downs.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Dave Alligan
Film Handler

- posted October 11, 2007 03:30 AM      Profile for Dave Alligan   Email Dave Alligan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Robert

When I done the recordings for Classic Home Cinema I use to treat every print before recording, it helps with the recording as the print goes through the projector more easily.

As to recording start the projector about 5 seconds before recording you will find this will improve the sound as the projector has got up to speed in that time and you will eliminate the wow.

Jean Marc

you idea sounds very good, wish I could have done that when i was doing them, it would have saved my GS1200, doing the recordings absolutely destroys the projector in the finish the main motor went on mine with all the stoping and starting.
With all the recordings that I done for Classic Home Cinema they didnt even offer to help me get it fixed tahts why I packed up doing it.

Dave

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC