8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Super-8 Features Release History Database

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Super-8 Features Release History Database
Christopher Quinn
Film Handler

- posted October 28, 2007 05:43 PM      Profile for Christopher Quinn   Email Christopher Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think this has been done before so...

Would be possible for us to compile a list detailing the release dates of all Super-8 features? This could be handy for people who would like to track down the earliest printings, but would also just be interesting from a historical perspective.

Here is what I've been able to put together from some online research:

• The Fog - 1983 - Derann
  • Goldfinger - 1988 - Derann
  • Mutiny on the Bounty - 1988 - Kempski
  • Star Wars - 1989 - Derann
  • Die Hard - 1991 - Derann
  • Alien - 1992 - Derann
  • Commando - 1992 - Derann
  • The Little Mermaid - 1992 - Derann
  • Poltergeist II - 1992 - Derann
  • Predator - 1992 - Derann
  • Robocop - 1992 - Derann
  • The Terminator - 1992 - Derann
  • Robocop 2 - ???? - Derann
  • Romancing the Stone - 1995 - Derann
  • The Mummy (1959) - 1998 - Derann
  • Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - ????
  • The Empire Strikes Back - ????
  • Master and Commander Sept - 2005 - Derann
Can anyone help to fill in the gaps or correct any mistakes?

[ October 30, 2007, 04:55 PM: Message edited by: Christopher Quinn ]

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 28, 2007 06:41 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good heavens, this would be quite an undertaking.

What I would suggest is ranking them under the different companies of origin, (Derann, CHC ect.), as there are experts on different companies, and they would be able to compile or help to compile this list.

I could add to it my list of optical sound Super 8 features, which is well over 150 feature films.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 29, 2007 03:56 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would imagine the best way to compile this is by going through every issue of 'Super 8 Film Review' and working out the release year as accurately as possible from that. Unless of course anyone has kept every Derann newsletter.

Robocop 2 was earlier than 1995 I believe. As for 'The Empire Strikes Back' I obtained my print of that from Perry's about 1993/1994 and only about a year later came 'Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade'. These prints both came from Germany originally.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Christopher Quinn
Film Handler

- posted October 30, 2007 04:56 PM      Profile for Christopher Quinn   Email Christopher Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the corrections, John. I haven’t got a single copy of 'Super 8 Film Review' and have no idea how to get them, but if anyone can remember any dates I will update the list.

Any information at all would be welcome Osi!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC