8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Film restoration

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Film restoration
Sam James
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2007 04:46 PM      Profile for Sam James   Email Sam James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some weeks ago I posted asking your suggestions for a Halloween screening in our small restaurant. Thanks to those of you who replied, but we soon learnt that the 31st fell in the middle of school half term and that we'd therfore be busy anyway, ergo a crowd-pulling theme night was reduntant. Instead, we decided that in mid November (apparently the dead zone for tourism where we are) we'd show a classic. I duly bought the wonderful "Casablanca". Tonight I watched the first half through and noticed, after about 30 minutes, a thin, red line running from top to bottom to the left of centre. It doesn't ruin the viewing, but will any film cleaner/restorer decrease it's effect? If so, which one? I've looked back at previous posts and, without stirring up a hornets nest of old arguments, am even willing to consider WD40, if it won't damage the film.
I've not viewed the second half yet, but would be very grateful for your help providing there are no fights!
Sam

|  IP: Logged

Tom A. Pennock
Master Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2007 05:25 PM      Profile for Tom A. Pennock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this black and white title on color stock? I can't understand why the line would be red on a b&w print.
--Tom

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted October 31, 2007 07:42 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds a bit like a neg mark Sam, film cleaners only usually help on black marks really.Worth a go though.
The best for that at the moment is filmgaurd, did the seller not mention it !!!!!!
Anyway hope you can sort it, but I`m sure it will still go down well as film and oldie worldy and all that.
Best Mark.

Tom A. Pennock
Master Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2007 09:12 PM      Profile for Tom A. Pennock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank's Mark!
That does indeed sound like a negative mark of some kind. I wonder if it can be masked at all? Sometimes you have to live with imperfections.
--Tom

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC