8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Titles 1 x 400" (in English) but available as a longer version in German ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Titles 1 x 400" (in English) but available as a longer version in German ?
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted November 11, 2007 11:47 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

I am now starting unstatisfied with digest that is only 400" long, most commonly available in English version from Ken, Universal, MGM, Columbia, etc.

I am so jealous to our fellow in German that are easy to get many titles in 2 or 3 reelers.

Now, can our fellow from German (or other who knows) give me the list those titles that available in English version as shorter version vs longer German version.

ps: I have known those Disney titles in Germany has longer version (300") compared to the English version (150"). So you don't need to list here.

What I have known are:

1. Ten from Navarone (1 x 400" from Columbia vs 2 x 400" from Piccolo)
2. Star Wars (2 x 400" from Ken vs 1 x 400" + 1 x 200" from Marketing + 1 x 400" from UFA)
3. Game of Death (3 x 400 from Warner vs 4 x 400 from UFA)
4. My Name is Nobody (1 x 400" from Universal vs 2 x 400" from Marketing)
5. The Deep (1 x 400" from Columbia vs 2 x 400" from Piccolo)
6. Sinbad "The Eye of the Tiger" (1 x 400" from Columbia vs 2 x 400" from Piccolo)
7. Dillinger (1 x 400" from Ken vs 2 x 400" from UFA)
8. True Grit (2 x 400" vs 3 x 400" from Marketing)
9. Emmanuelle (1 x 400" from Columbia vs 3 x 400" from Piccolo)
10. Taxi Driver (1 x 400" from Columbia vs 2 x 400" from Piccolo)
11. Phantasm (1 x 400" from Derann vs 2 x 400" from UFA)
12. ???

Please add my list, so I knew how to get a better show.

thanks,

[ November 12, 2007, 09:33 PM: Message edited by: Winbert Hutahaean ]

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Mark Howard
Film Handler

- posted November 12, 2007 06:04 AM      Profile for Mark Howard   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Howard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Derann released a 1x400ft of Phantasm while our German friends were treated to a 2x400ft version of the film. Now thats a title I'd love to own...

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted November 12, 2007 10:34 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert, it's not only longer, it's different.
If you take "My Name is Nobody", for instance, you need both the two-reeler from Marketing (400+300ft) AND the U8 reel to create a longer version. See my article in the review section. See also the article about The Omen.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted November 12, 2007 03:36 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One previously mentioned on this forum was:
Taxi Driver (1 x 400" from Columbia vs 2 x 400" from Piccolo)

Many years ago, I was in the film shop that still exists in Amsterdam and I thought I saw a 400' version of Planet of the Apes, as opposed to the Ken 200'. If I'm right, it was more likely to be German than Dutch. Can anyone confirm this or think of any 20th Century Fox films available on a release unique to Germany?

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted November 12, 2007 09:42 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks chaps for the infos.

JM, yes I have followed previous discussion that some Germany releases have differen cut. But anyway, I limit this post only focus to the number of the reel. As Kevin F suggested in different post that intercutting films from different companies would be a real headache seeing the possiblity of different print quality, film stock, etc, etc.

The aim to post this was because eventually I will be re-recording the sound using DVD as the source. Therefore, having film in German will not be a problem for me and I will be now only looking for the available Germany releases provided in this post.

Heei...where our German fellows, they haven't posted here...

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 13, 2007 10:57 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

it looks like the German "Planet of the Apes"-diggests have been reduced to 60 or 66m (= approx. 200ft):
http://www.tierhorror.de/images/PlanetderAffen-Super8.htm
According to various sources most releases by "INTER-PATHÉ" only differ with the German soundtrack from the "Ken-Films"-releases.

Jörg

Andreas Eggeling
Master Film Handler

- posted November 17, 2007 05:20 PM      Profile for Andreas Eggeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

[ August 07, 2008, 01:24 AM: Message edited by: Andreas Eggeling ]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 17, 2007 10:08 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It appear that the picolo's were fairly unique in that they appeared to have letterboxed editions of titles that were released as letterboxed nowhere else. Them Picolo's must have been quite nice!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Andreas Eggeling
Master Film Handler

- posted November 18, 2007 02:02 AM      Profile for Andreas Eggeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

[ August 07, 2008, 01:24 AM: Message edited by: Andreas Eggeling ]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC