8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » A problem with my Chinon 6100

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A problem with my Chinon 6100
Joshua Vega
Film Handler

- posted November 15, 2007 07:27 PM      Profile for Joshua Vega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One day, my film jammed in my Chinon 6100 Super 8 sound projector because a friend forgot to close the latch that holds the reel on. Me and my family had to try to get the film out (it was in tight) We finally got it out (the whole beginning of the film was ruined, but fortunately, the content is intact), and I tried the auto thread to make sure nothing broke. My film never came out of the other end of the projector, so I took the cover off. What happened is this: The film runs fine, until it gets to the sound head. In the sound mechanism, the film jams and starts folding BEFORE the film gate. I don't know what the problem is, but I hope it's not too serious (I don't know much about newer projectors, especially sound ones). Can anyone help?

|  IP: Logged

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted November 15, 2007 07:56 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Joshua is the film trimmed to go through OK, usually a half moon on the front of the leader or the two front corners off at 45 degrees if you will so it feeds through OK.
If its trimmed etc and still not going through you could have a bit of film jammed in the sound head area.
Best Mark.
Can you manage to post a photo of the machine looking in with the cover off close too.
Or email it to me or one of us.
Best Mark.

Joshua Vega
Film Handler

- posted November 16, 2007 09:17 PM      Profile for Joshua Vega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
actually, the film DID break, so that may be the problem. The only thing is that I don't have a film trimmer. Is there an easy way to do this by hand with scissors or something???

Stephen Spicer
Junior

- posted November 17, 2007 01:53 AM      Profile for Stephen Spicer   Email Stephen Spicer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You most likely (as the other poster has said) have a bit of film jammed in the sound head. Try leaning it either with a bit of scrap film pushed from the back, or a wooden toothpick

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 17, 2007 03:19 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And trim the leader of the film with scissors. Put angles on the edges and if that doesn't work try putting a curve across the whole face of the leader.

If this doesn't make sense let me know and I'll have another go at explaining.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 17, 2007 05:32 AM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joshua

This is a common little film trimmer with an adhesive backing to stick to your projector.

-

Drop me a email with your address to....

craig(dot)hamilton1(at)btconnect.com

and I will pop one in the post to you free of charge.

Craig

--------------------
I dream of becoming a dealer!!!!!!
Is Perry's Movies for Sale.

Joshua Vega
Film Handler

- posted November 17, 2007 11:31 PM      Profile for Joshua Vega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First, I will try to see if some film IS stuck in the sound head.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC