8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Film cleaners and lubricants

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Film cleaners and lubricants
Alan L. Hitchcox
Film Handler

- posted December 02, 2007 05:00 PM      Profile for Alan L. Hitchcox   Author's Homepage   Email Alan L. Hitchcox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure this topic has come up before, but I didn't see it when I checked on recent discussions.
I have purchased a film & projector cleaner & lubricant on eBay. It works well, and I have seen a few different brand names. But they are all very expensive.
I seem to recall hearing that you can use denatured alcohol as a cleaner, and that Goo Gone makes a good lubricant.
I'm not willing to try either until I get some feedback.
Anybody have experience with effective "home remedies" to clean and lubricate film?
Thanks for your help.

--------------------
Alan Hitchcox
Willoughby, Ohio USA

|  IP: Logged

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 02, 2007 05:32 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Alan. I would suggest you go to the search facility and type in "Film Cleaning". There are a miriad of topics apertaining to this subject there. All the best.

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 02, 2007 05:37 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Alan,
You have really opened up a can of worms! [Eek!] But I would say that the general opinion around here is that Filmguard is an excellent cleaner and lubricant. For 'home cleaners', DO NOT use alcohol!! This will dry out your films and probably make them very noisy in projection. Personally, I use ArmorAll Protectant Wipes, which do a fairly good job of cleaning and providing some silicone lubricant to the film surface.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 02, 2007 05:48 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Alan,Paul is right you have opened a can of worms.I use Filmguard that i think is an excellent product and have also used the Armorall wipes as a quick way of applying some lube to the film and those seem to work also.The one thing that i've found is with Filmguard if you use too much it can dissolve tape splices if you use them Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Alan L. Hitchcox
Film Handler

- posted December 02, 2007 10:02 PM      Profile for Alan L. Hitchcox   Author's Homepage   Email Alan L. Hitchcox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for some great adivce, guys.
I tend to pick up movies at estate sales and such during the summer, then I sell the ones I don't want in the winter. I always try to run films through my editor before putting them up for sale.
I'm looking for an inexpensive way to condition films I'll be previewing. (Recently I found a 60s era adult film that was in a Pierre Bear Castle Films box.) If end up keeping a film, I'll condition it with a name-brand cleaner-lube.
The Armor-all wipes sound like a good option, so, again, thanks.

--------------------
Alan Hitchcox
Willoughby, Ohio USA

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC