8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » what was the last movie released in super 8 before video took over?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: what was the last movie released in super 8 before video took over?
Eric Baucher
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2008 08:46 PM      Profile for Eric Baucher   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Baucher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know derann never stopped but other than them.

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 11, 2008 09:32 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some of it continued for quite awhile. If your talking the standard super 8 companies ....

(MGM DISNEY PARAMOUNT ect.)

I am not really sure. I believe the last release for Marketing films was "Raiders of the Lost Ark" 400ft. It was actually slated as a 3X400ft. release (That would have been awesome to have back then).

I think the original Disney final releases were either the

"Mickey Mouse Presents A Collectors Series" which consisted of three known releases :

The Band Concert
The Old Mill
The Ugly Ducking

and perhaps,

"The Scorcerers Apprentice"

I don't know the last of the other main companies.

As optical sound super 8's were around, they could be included as, with each year, (especially with the mid eighties) thre were new optical sound features.

I hope that this helps. Doug or Kevin would probably know far more.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted January 11, 2008 09:45 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Difficult to answer as some companies folder after the revival started - and a few even started (eg Lone Wolf, CEC) after the revival.

'Raiders of the Lost Ark' certainly was the end of an era, representing the last new 'mass market' 400' digest.

[ January 13, 2008, 02:22 PM: Message edited by: Adrian Winchester ]

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Andreas Eggeling
Master Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2008 10:42 AM      Profile for Andreas Eggeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

[ August 07, 2008, 01:21 AM: Message edited by: Andreas Eggeling ]

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted January 13, 2008 02:25 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andreas,

I'd genuinely be curious to know what and when the last commercial video releases were! The end for video came so suddenly that I never noticed when the video racks in stores disappeared, but I get the impression it happened everywhere at more or less the same time.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 13, 2008 02:51 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Taken From "Movie Maker" 1984.

"The Old Mill" 1937 was one of the last films released by Disney 8 Division before it closed in 1981.

Its interesting to note at that time 1984, "quote", prints of "The Old Mill" were not printed in the quantity of the previous releases and, within no time, there was not a copy to be found anywhere-much to the frustration of many ardent "Disney" collectors.

In 1984 "Derann" came to the rescue [Smile] securing a deal with "Disney" well thats now 24 years [Roll Eyes] that brand new prints have been available. I bought new prints [Smile] to replace my slightly fading ones of "The Old Mill" and the "The Ugly Duckling" just last year, I would highly recomend those new "Derann" films.

Now... [Roll Eyes] if "Derann" could supply me a new copy of "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" that would be something.

Graham. [Smile]

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 13, 2008 11:08 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Surely if we are talking what is the last Disney's release on 8mm, I believe the answer is Popeye.

Based on IMDB this movie was first time released in USA on 12 December 1980. Taking account the windows time (around 6 months) and getting the master to be printed on 8mm, I believe this was on Market at the end of 1981 or 1982.

-

Anyone can give a clue?

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2008 01:59 AM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have Walt Disney's THE BLACK HOLE that has a date on it of 1981 on a small order form in the box that you would fill out and send away for a FREE movie poster of THE BLACK HOLE.

Thanks
Patrick

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 14, 2008 10:52 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I Wonder if anyone mailed off for it? (The poster)

I know that when I bought a little 50ft edition of "The Dwarves Dilemma", It had an order form to get four color prints of Diney films (photo's) for free.

Sure enough, I got them in the mail a month or two later.

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 15, 2008 04:53 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys,

I was perusing ebay this morning and noticed that Red Fox films had a summer catalog from 1985. So, how long was Red Fox in business? I understand that Derann bought thier in stock films when they went belly up.

--------------------

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted January 16, 2008 12:56 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Red Fox remained in business a while after the demise of super 8, selling video (tapes and discs).
But the switch was very brutal. Every other month, I was receiving their catalogue (a big tabloid-style newspaper) and from one issue to the next, films simply disappeared.
Purchased my first videodisc from them (The Empire Strikes Back - I still have it and it still runs fine).

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2008 02:16 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as digests go, I think KEN's last release may have been part 2 of "The Empire Strikes Back". On the MGM digest side, it may have been "The Time Machine" 3 x 400 foot.

Universal 8's last release was, I think, "The Blues Brothers" and "Xanadu", both 2 x 400 foot. "Cheech and Chong's Next Movie" was supposed to be released with these two movies, but I don't think it ever made it onto film. If so, its extremely rare.

James.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 17, 2008 02:32 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it we really look at when video took over, I think it was literally from the beginning of VHS on the market, that AND the release of studio videos on the market.

I could be wrong, but I think that in many ways, Super 8 was always a slightly underground market for, most people, even during Super 8's heyday, couldn't afford a feature on Super 8mm.
They would no doubt wait for it until it showed up on TV AND with the advent of recordable VHS, would record, with or without ADS. I remember my dad having an enormous collection of recorded off of TV movies, and that was good enough for him.

Though dad had some old 8mm home movies, he never went rabid about film. It was just what was done way back then.

--------------------

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2008 05:51 PM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would consider Super 8 was mainstream in the late 1970's, but of course it never approached the success of the video tape for movies. I remember every department store here had a Super 8 section with plenty of film.

I remember when K-Mart ended their sales of Super 8 movies; they sold the Columbia line here, they discounted the range and then it was gone. I bought a few B & W silent 50ft Flintstones films discounted from $2.95 to $1.95! I still have them. I think this was in 1981.

I recently looked back at local Super 8 catalogs from 1983 and there was still lots of titles available, but how much of this was two year old stock is hard to know.

David

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2008 09:29 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it was when the 200 foot "Star Wars" digest was first released that super 8 went main stream for a couple of years.

It was still playing in theaters, and you could have 8 minutes in color and sound in your own home, for $25-$30. At that time, super 8 was everywhere.

James.

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted January 17, 2008 11:37 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i remember in 1977 reading Famous Monsters of Filmland the magazine and always near the back of the mag was the section with all the Super 8 films they had. Just tons and tons of films. I was very young so I thought that for $29.95 you got the whole feature! [Smile]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 18, 2008 11:12 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boy Alan, you REALLY brought back memories there!

When I was cutting classes back in the late 70's I was usually hanging out at the 7-11 (until the cashier would run me off) reading all the "Famous Monsters" magazines, and REALLY wishing that I could buy a print of "War Of The Worlds", but never could.

Beautiful memories!

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC