8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » How to change the cycles on ST1200?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How to change the cycles on ST1200?
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted February 13, 2008 11:10 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My ST 1200 has a problem with slow motor.

The belts are OK, so I was thinking that the problem may be the cycles. My country is using 50hz while some country is 60hz.

I found the instruction on the back cover how to change the cycles (by modifing the belts), but when I compared to the machine I did not understand which part was meant by that instruction (see photo below).

-

So, guys, can you help me which part that I have to modify (Or tell me if the machine was already in 50hz).

Secondly, what do you think I should do to increase the speed, as this machine is running to slow.

thanks

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Joerg Niggemann
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 14, 2008 10:08 AM      Profile for Joerg Niggemann   Email Joerg Niggemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert, as far as I can see from the photo your machine is running in 60Hz mode with the longer motor belt on the left side. I can't see the shorter belt which should run on the right side between the 18/24 fps rubber pulleys. For 50Hz mode, you only have to change the position of the two belts: motor belt on right pulleys, shorter belt on left pulleys.

Joerg

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted February 14, 2008 08:28 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joerg,

Thanks for the reply. But actually the two belts are the same size/length. Probaly becuase the photo is to dark, the no. 2 is not clearly seen. But I have shown below with the white arrows.

-

Do you think I should find a shorter belt for no.1? and follow the picture.

Secondly, if I have changed it and the problem is still there, can we modify the motor or board by pitching a trim (like what we can do with Sankyo)?

thanks,

--------------------
Winbert

Joerg Niggemann
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 15, 2008 05:10 AM      Profile for Joerg Niggemann   Email Joerg Niggemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert, I've never seen a setup like yours and I think it cannot work correctly. For 50Hz operation, you should remove the left belt completely and replace it with the proper short belt which has to run between the two rubber pulleys only (as shown in the drawing). You can try to operate the ST with only the motor belt installed in 50 Hz position. This should work for test purposes if the belt is in good condition.

Since the ST has an AC Motor, there is no other way to adjust the projector speed. If you have the correct belt position and speed is still too slow, you should check the condition of the belt(s) and rubber pulleys.

Joerg

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted February 17, 2008 09:40 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joerg,

I have 3 ST 1200s and I opened them after reading your post and..... all are having the same set-up !!. The other two are running normal, with two pulleys are belted with the same length belts! [Roll Eyes]

Anyone can give me a clue ??

thanks,

--------------------
Winbert

Joerg Niggemann
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 18, 2008 12:59 AM      Profile for Joerg Niggemann   Email Joerg Niggemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Winbert, no idea why all your ST's have that strange setup. The pulleys have different diameters for 50 or 60 Hz operation. With 2 of the longer motor belts being installed, one of them will try to speed up the machine while the other one slows it down. you can see the correct setting here (have a look at "foto 2"). The belt is set to 50 Hz which corresponds to the drawing in your photo.

I can only recommend to try operation with only one belt installed. If you change the position of that belt from left to right pulleys (60 to 50 Hz) and the speed changes, your "2 belt setup" is definitely wrong. Please check the condition of all rubber rollers. In "Stop" position: can you turn the shutter wheel and rubber rollers easily by hand? Does the machine go faster if you slightly press the "rubber roller unit" against the shutter wheel during operation?

Give it a try...
Joerg

James E. Stubbs
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 21, 2008 01:26 PM      Profile for James E. Stubbs   Email James E. Stubbs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joreg, what I want to know from those fotos and instructions is where did they get the replacement rubber for the shutter? I'd like to put in on mine so it will run a bit more quietly/smoothly.
Cheers,

--------------------
James E. Stubbs
Consultant, Vagabond, Traveler.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC