8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What Films did you show last night? (Page 12)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  229  230  231 

Author Topic: What Films did you show last night?
Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted February 23, 2009 12:50 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David, Michael: I was actually sitting on a fire extinguisher... [Big Grin]
Yesterday's matinee:
- selection of French soundies (16 mm)

[ November 06, 2010, 09:52 AM: Message edited by: Jean-Marc Toussaint ]

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

|  IP: Logged

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 23, 2009 03:38 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Predator. One of the best Super 8 prints of all time sync' pulsed to the 2003 uncut DVD (first DVD version was edited) with the THX up as loud as could be endured. Super 8 heaven... I'd forgotten how good this particular show could be.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted February 23, 2009 09:25 AM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night we watched some recent ebay acquisitions. We started with "The Creature with the Atom Brain", an excellent 400ft digest from Columbia. Then we followed that with "Circus of Fear". This was a 3X400ft digest of "Caged Fury" from Fletcher Films. I had always wanted to get this film after reading Lee Mannering's excellent review of it on this forum. It's a great film with Larry "Buster" Crabbe as a villain for a change and we loved every minute of it. I am always surprised at how good the prints of these Fletcher Films can be. It's just a pity that they normally changed the titles of their releases for some reason best known to themselves. Finally we finished off the evening with Roy Rodgers and Trigger in "The Yellow Rose of Texas". This film is mounted on 2X600ft reels but I will put it back on 400ft reels as it was originally released. Set on a riverboat Roy plays an agent who exposes the real perpertrator of a crime for which an innocent man had been accused. It was a bit of a whodunnit really. Great vintage entertainment.

Paul.

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 23, 2009 10:13 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sunday Night February 22

Who Framed Roger Rabbit

DVD Projection

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 23, 2009 11:16 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We watched a 16mm episode of The Muppet Show with guest star Marty Feldman,In typical Muppet style every puppet had a set of Marty's eyes at the end which was quite amusing,followed by a super 8 feature of An American in Paris...Mark.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Michael Scheck
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 23, 2009 01:42 PM      Profile for Michael Scheck   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Disneys "Pinocchio" on Super8 (Derann) with the kids.
Absolutely fabulous print, stunning colours and great sound. I'm thrilled.

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 23, 2009 05:13 PM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just finished my last show ,comprised of : FELIX PINCHES THE POLE (silent),THE GREAT WHO-DOOD-IT (Woody the Magician),THE TREASURES OF TUTANCHAMON, NATURE'S STRANGEST CREATURES (Disney),DONALD'S GOLDMINE and the feature PORT OF NEW YORK with Richard Rober,Scott Brady and first appearances by Yul Brunner and Neville Brand. All in std 8.

Paul
I agree with you, CAGED FURY is an exellent little B.Unfortunately Fletcher ,many times was very stingy with footage. This 3x 400 version (CIRCUS OF FEAR), is actually only 39 minutes long so it can fit 2x400 easily. Thunderbird did issue the complete feature which ,anyway,is only 60 minutes long,(i.e. 3x400). I wish I could find their version.

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 24, 2009 08:32 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monday Night February 23rd

Super 8 CinemaScope

The Empire Strikes Back

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 26, 2009 10:13 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wednesday Night February 25

The Empire Strikes Back (DVD Projection)

See my post in 8mm section, "EMPIRE COMPARISON TEST"

Of the two screenings, the DVD won hands down. Better picture (cleaner, brighter) and full stereo sound......

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 27, 2009 01:50 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night was a western Universal short on 9.5 called Jim Hood's Ghost. It was one of the few Pathescope releases that i have that look like it retained the real film title and the real intertitles.

I also just got in some new super 8 films from Steve at Reel Image that I hope to watch this weekend.

-

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 28, 2009 06:49 PM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight's main feature was SHANE , a magnificent Derann (?) print, supported by THE DRIVER OF THE DEADWOOD COACH (1912),trailers for ZORRO'S FIGHTING LEGION,DON DAREDEVIL RIDES AGAIN and MYSTERIOUS DR SATAN and Charley Chase in SOUTHERN EXPOSURE.Super 8 prints.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 01, 2009 01:37 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Panayotis
Is the Deadwood Coach print a blackhawk release? I love those old Kalem shorts.....

--------------------

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted March 01, 2009 03:28 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday afternoon :
The 1980 Augusta Golf Masters (16mm documentary)

--------------------

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 01, 2009 01:30 PM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino
Even better! It is a Breakspear print!!! John Cunningham made his own 8mm prints from his 35mm collection of early silents.All are in one word ..OUTSTANDING. He released quite a few Kalems,Nestors, Biographs and Edisons.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 01, 2009 11:39 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh man...now I AM really jealous, I have dreamed about those prints since I read Gerald McKee's book....Well done.

--------------------

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 02, 2009 11:18 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monday Night March 2

Jurassic Park

Super 8 Feature

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 03, 2009 10:28 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having been working away for a week, the previous Wednesday I ran my Standard 8 1922 silent version of Dr Mabuse. Absolutely superb. Lang at one of his best. This was the 'so called' Part 1 of the series, where Mabuse takes a potion to enable him to easily hypnotise his opponents at cards, thereby taking the winnings and carrying out all sorts of other sinister undertakings.

Shown on my modified Elmo E-80 using 800ft reels.

This coming weekend, it will be METROPOLIS. My recently acquired 16mm print from a friend of Steven Sigel, which purports to be virtually as the original. [Roll Eyes]
I shall monitor the running time most carefully and then refer back to imDb to check exactly which version it is. [Eek!]

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 03, 2009 10:50 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was "Camp night" so we watched "Hawk the Slayer"

oooh, tasty camp! Just love that scene with the mace hanging over the guys head, being held in place by the rope in the victims teeth.

"Now, if you can just keep your mouth shut, you'll be fine!"

Nope! Man fusses, mace comes down and goes splat!

"Some folks just can't keep their mouths shut."

(hee hee)

and then ...

The Fog (scope)

Not so tasty "camp" but tasty horror!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted March 06, 2009 05:03 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good choice, Osi... [Wink]

Tonight screening dvd: William Friendkin's The Hunted.

Quite enjoyable. To say that Benicio del Toro is overacting in some scenes is an understatement.

[ November 06, 2010, 09:52 AM: Message edited by: Jean-Marc Toussaint ]

--------------------

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 06, 2009 05:18 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
- Yesterday night: Disney's 101 DALMATIANS (thanks Kevin);

- Tonight (5th March): Disney's PINOCCHIO (thanks Keith) and THE JUNGLE BOOK (thanks Kevin C.);
- GREMLINS (part one);
- LITTLE RASCALS 'Bedtime worries'.
[Eek!]

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

Chris Smith
Film Handler

- posted March 06, 2009 06:39 PM      Profile for Chris Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I showed my pin sharp print of The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (16mm). I purchased this a couple months ago off eBay and it was the first chance I had to screen the film. For the price I paid, I expected a dupe, but this was a razor sharp original in fine shape, for sure. It sparkled on the big screen.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 06, 2009 10:30 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Warlords of Atlantis! 4X400ft

Check out my new review to be posted in thirty minutes.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 07, 2009 02:15 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah I finally got myself a copy of Star Crash on Super 8 - I couldn't wait and watched it immediately, even with the german soundtrack. It was a little more used then it was advertised by the seller on ebay but beggers can't be choosers. Now I have to break out the gear to re-record the sound off the dvd...

I also watched the silent short The Little Country Mouse (1914) starring Blanche Sweet on reg 8. Does anyone know who put this out? the stock was dated 1960 and it had a replaced main title but original intertitles.

--------------------

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted March 07, 2009 09:03 AM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night it was more recent ebay purchases. We started the show with "Swashbuckler". This is a Universal 8 digest on 1X400ft reel. It was an excellent print with a great cast. This was followed by "Prophecy", an excellent monster movie with an ecological them. This was a letterboxed print on 3X400ft reels from Marketing Films. Lastly we watched "Bullet for a Dead Man". This is an early Derann film on 4X400ft reels. I enjoyed this euro western with an unknown cast (to me). The only thing I didn't like was the awful organ music soundtrack. It needed a bit of Ennio Morricone. The colour and sound on all of these was very good, even the the early Derann feature (good old Buck Labs), so it was a very enjoyable evening. More titles have recently arrived so we're looking forward to the next show.

Paul.

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 07, 2009 12:42 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
J-M,

Sitting on the fire extinguisher and running nitrate?

Sounds more as you were sitting in the "hot seat!"
[Eek!]
[Smile]

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

All times are Central
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  229  230  231 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC