8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What Films did you show last night? (Page 124)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  121  122  123  124  125  126  127  ...  229  230  231 

Author Topic: What Films did you show last night?
Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 01, 2013 01:10 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, great story and even greater film... Hold on to that one tight, I have always been on the hunt for that full feature and they NEVER seem to come available... Well done, but your poor old mum!

I had lunch with Bill Brandenstein today and of course we spent a good amount of time swapping film stories, so tonight I had to get a film fix and thought the cure would be some standard 8 toy films. You know the kind that most film collectors would snub their noses at. The quality on these things can range from kodascope clarity to completely unwatchable. The 3 tonight ranged from great to so-so with some of the weirdest printed in problems (see the title from Careless Hubby) I have ever seen.
First up was Fast Black (1924, 100ft Pathegrams) starring Earl Mohan and Billy Engle. Next was Careless Hubby (1927, 100ft Star Films)from a series of Cameo Comedies starring the pair Phil Dunham and Estelle Bradley in a sort of Newlyweds knock off. The final one was a reel i have missing its title but it is Mickey's Battle (1927, 100ft Star Films) which is one of the Mickey MacGuire comedies starring the very young Mickey Rooney. All good because the best thing about the toy films are that they are often quite rare titles...

-

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

|  IP: Logged

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 01, 2013 06:23 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom- I too bought that 4x400 featurette from Iver when I was about 17, and have many fun stories about that one too!

I could NEVER get my mom to watch it though. She's gone now, but up to a few years ago, whenever I mentioned to her- "Mom, remember when I used to show Texas Chainsaw Massacre?"- She'd look at me with a sort of mean look, pause, and say- "oh, you mean...AAAAAAAAA...AAAAAAA..... AAAAAAA! Of couse I remember". (She's refering to the constant screams in the last half of the movie, as I'd often run the movie into the wee hours of the morning [Cool] .

James.

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 01, 2013 01:57 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That was a thoroughly enjoyable time with Dino, who is a remarkable guy with a remarkable job. Somebody needs to do a writeup about him and all he does that helps keep film collecting alive both professionally and for hobbyists. And given his encyclopedic knowledge, his film stories are WAY more interesting than mine. Thanks for putting up with me, Dino!

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 03, 2013 01:32 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill I had a blast...

Last night I had some friends over from out of town who brought some 9.5mm films to check out. We watched small 30ft spools until almost midnight and had a blast. Tonight had some friends (including my godson) over to watch an absolute classic. A gorgeous IB Tech print of the Hammer films' The Revenge of Frankenstein starring Peter Cushing as the famous doctor. (1958, 16mm, 3 x 1600ft)

-

--------------------

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted March 03, 2013 03:41 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thaks Dino, [Wink] James, thank you to, my dear Mum still goes on now about "that film" hehe, [Big Grin] Happy days,
Dino those are great screenshots from Revenge of Frankenstein, apart from the 200ft of Twins of Evil we still to this day dont own a feature Hammar Horror in our collection,unreal, the one i always tried to grab (but cud never afford it when a copy did appear) is the curse of Frankenstein, i'm still looking for that bargain but with those films holding there value and rapidly rising im sure we'l ever get there.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 04, 2013 01:44 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lovely screenshots Dino! I so envy your job. If I'm ever down Claifornia-way, could I stop in for a screening or two? [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 04, 2013 01:53 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice screen shots of The Revenge of Frankenstein Dino my man! Here are some more scray stuff I watched a B/W classic BODY SNATCHERS 3 X 600 B/W super 8 Feature  -
 -
 -
 -
 -

-
 -

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 05, 2013 12:18 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, you ever get down our way and we might have to throw a Forum Party!

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 05, 2013 01:00 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi sure anytime, what Bill said, we could have a whole forum screening party... that would be great....and Laksmi another classic horror film - Kevin McCarthy actually lived down the street from me when I first moved here to California...

Tonight I continued my new love/hate relationship with the GS and watched MARCH OF TIME:vol.V, no.12:March of the Movies from July of 1939 (Super 8, 1 x 600ft) which starts out with some great footage of Iris Barry from the early days of MOMA, and even some footage of Lee Deforest who invented the vacuum tubes that made radio and sound movies possible.

-

--------------------

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 05, 2013 01:23 AM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino-Can I come too? Laksmi-Just watched the remake from 1978 on Encore. It was a decent remake and even had a cameo of Kevin McCarthy. I always seem to miss out on a print of that.

Watched my excellent print of King Kong.

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 05, 2013 12:56 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DIno can I come to to I will bring stuff? [Big Grin] Yeah Larry I like the part at the end of that remake with Donald S holding his hand out pointing at Cartwright with the weird sound conming out of his posessed mouth. Anyway last night I was keeping the monster movie theme with a good old classic 200 foot super 8 I Was a TEENAGE WEREWOLF with Micheal Landon from pre BONNAZA and Little House. His changes were not the full moon but a chemical produced by some mad scientist great character actor whats his name? Anyway I like the rebel with out a cause lettermen jacket he all ways seamed to be wearing.  -
 -
 -
 -

-
 -
 -

[ March 05, 2013, 11:14 PM: Message edited by: Laksmi Breathwaite ]

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Richard Bock
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 06, 2013 08:57 AM      Profile for Richard Bock   Author's Homepage   Email Richard Bock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Forget the jacket. I really like the upside down, parallel bar terror shot!

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 06, 2013 11:22 PM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All sorts of shorts, including "The Three Little Pigs".

-

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 07, 2013 11:52 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys I 'm still watching monster movies here is a 200 " super 8 B/w of RODAN the Japanese classic . I love these Japanese monster movies.  -
l  -

-

-  -

-
 -

-

Is that the same guy and girl from GODZILLA?

--------------------

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted March 08, 2013 12:02 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
The character actor you're referring to Laksmi. is Whit Bissell of "Time Tunnel" fame.If you have the "Teenage Frankenstein" clip, he also starred in that.An interesting item in that film, were the crates in the lab that had printed on them the the address of Hammer Films in Wardour St., in London, a bit of an "in joke" by
the makers.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 08, 2013 01:47 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ehhh, give me "Mothra" anyday, especially those two hot princesses, or whatever they were, (with those rediculously high screechy voices!), but nice seeing your screenshots, just the same!

--------------------

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2013 10:27 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MOTHRA yeah I love that Osi! The two hot princesses! Here is some scenes from MOTHRA I wish I had the feature.  -

--------------------

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 09, 2013 01:06 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Maaa SU Raaaaa"

I finally had a chance to break the Bolex DA back out and watched some notched 9.5mm..The title tonight was a lost William Fairbanks film FLYING HIGH (1926, Pathescope title Air Pirates 1 x 300ft S645) This is considered a lost film because all that exists is the 9.5 cut version. This film is an action thriller with some great "the other" Fairbanks' stunts. The film also stars the lovely Alice Calhoun who happens to be in a number of 9.5 films.

-

--------------------

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted March 09, 2013 04:14 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Twas 7am and and a first for me watching a Ealing classic and chomping on some toast. [Smile]

Lars-Goran Ahlm
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 10, 2013 09:45 AM      Profile for Lars-Goran Ahlm   Email Lars-Goran Ahlm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of my latest additions to my 16MM collection:
The Notorious Landlady
Starring Jack Lemmon, Kim Novak, Fred Astaire & Lionel Jeffries.
A "romcom"/mystery/murder story from 1962 scripted by Larry Gelbart & Blake Edwards.
To my surprise I found that the copy, Fuji, had a datecode of 1967! Yes 46 years old. And with that in mind I must say it's in excelent condition. There is the occasional stripes and some splices, I think it's a ex TV print, but in view of the age I would have thought it should have been in a much worse state.
Anyway, a truly entertaining story including a (almost) nude scene with Kim Novak, who incidentally designed all her own clothes in this movie.
If you haven't seen it I can recomend it.

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

--------------------
"The trouble with these international affairs is that they attract foreigners"

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 10, 2013 11:51 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lars, that is a fun movie indeed. I actually have Kim Novaks' film collection at work that includes an unfinished documentary called "This is Kim." and some home movies.

Tonight I had time for a quick 16mm 2-reeler. A french kodascope print of a rare Edmund Cobb western short originally titled Pep of the Lazy J (1926) that happens to feature an uncredited role from a very young Janet Gaynor. Supposedly the only other print of this is at the Eastman house archive.

-

--------------------

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 11, 2013 02:40 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your screen shots Look interesting Lars and Dino! I was into watching another classic monster movie a 400 foot digest super 8mm .  -

--------------------

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 12, 2013 02:31 AM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of trailers, followed by a gorgeous 16mm LPP print of "The Man With Two Brains"

-

-

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 12, 2013 01:46 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gorgeous is right!! Eye popping color there! Thanks for sharing!

--------------------

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 12, 2013 10:53 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Black and white color in a old classic that is in the publics eye right now WIZARD OF OZ super 8 mm 400 " digest nice print good sound.  -
 -

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  121  122  123  124  125  126  127  ...  229  230  231 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC