8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What Films did you show last night? (Page 173)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  170  171  172  173  174  175  176  ...  229  230  231 

Author Topic: What Films did you show last night?
Mark Silvester
Master Film Handler

- posted December 12, 2014 02:32 PM      Profile for Mark Silvester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You must have a great job and some serious money to pursue your hobby Vidar...serously. Lol [Wink]

Best

Mark Silvester

--------------------
Mark Silvester

|  IP: Logged

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted December 12, 2014 02:59 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not really. I don't drink or smoke, I mainly use my money for films. And buying often cheap. Can't say no to 25GBP Casablanca, so lucky is a good word. I so wished I had enough to buy the 35mm Alien off eBay a while ago, but it eent for too much for me.

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 16, 2014 03:32 PM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched a superb 3 x 600 print of "Riddle of the Sands" which I bought recently from Jason.
 -

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 17, 2014 07:20 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just got a 200ft scene from Riddle of the Sands (from Phil at a convention), but can confirm the quality is excellent.

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 17, 2014 07:22 AM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian, it's one of the sharpest prints I've seen, in places. Lovely LPP colour, too.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 17, 2014 12:59 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a fairly rare scope feature Jonathan! Good find. A super 8 optical sound feature of this is here and there as well but in that kind of a case, well, I'd rather find the scope feature over the optical sound feature.

Yeah, a startling revelation from the OZ! [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 17, 2014 01:14 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1398 Riddles of the Sands – OPTICAL – Simon MacCorkingdale, Michael York, Jenny Agutter – 3x600ft col optical snd £59. This is on Perry's new uploaded list Osi, your right they turn up every where.

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 17, 2014 02:29 PM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Osi. A Movieland release.

Jason Gronn
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 17, 2014 04:42 PM      Profile for Jason Gronn   Email Jason Gronn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad you liked the print Jonathan.
It had one of the best stereo tracks I have heard but just wasn't my type of film and would have ended up just sitting on the shelf.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 17, 2014 04:46 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
sent you a PM Jason.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted December 19, 2014 09:44 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A bit late, Sundays Christmas show in our club was Gremlins, It's a Wonderful Life Blu-Ray, Pluto's Christmas Tree 200' and Tom & Jerry in Night Before Christmas 200'
 -

-

-

-

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 20, 2014 01:59 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bought Riddle Of The Sands on its original release from Movieland Roger Lilley. A fantastic scope release. Soooo much better on the big super 8 screen than TV. I found it to be more involving on super 8. I also have the same experience with Derann's Raise The Titanic. Sadly both companies and the owners are now gone.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted December 21, 2014 05:11 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Super 8 : two documentaries : Australian Aborigènes (in English) and Malheur aux vaincus (in French). Both have fading colours but are still watchable. The second film has the same title as a 9,5 film and both are about animals. Maybe someone made a joke. Then, in standard (regular) 8 : The Roaring Twenties : three silent films with a soundtrack. It seems that they were sonorised and edited for tv. I prefer original versions but the result is not bad (except for one of the film which has several pictures stops). What is intersting is that the films are at the correct speed projected at 24 fps. On French and Belgian television, it happened often that silent films were (I use the past as you cannot see anymore now or very seldom) projected at 24 fps whatever the correct speed was, resulting in acceleration movments on the (tv) screen. I was surprised by the quality of the picture for a standard (regular) 8 film.

--------------------
Dominique

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 22, 2014 07:15 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Twins of Evil. A rather mixed 2 x 600 ft.
The first 600ft from a Derann odd reel with great colour followed by reel 3 of the Walton 4 x 400 ft which is now very pink splice to the 200ft Walton release which has the final scenes, but that hasn't gone pink. Not much missed out but very varied quality.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted December 22, 2014 04:28 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched The Story Of The Silent Serials, Sing Bing Sing and a new (very short) acquired (French) film : it is the opening and the end of commercials (Publi-ciné) in which you see a black groom (who was replaced for some "politically reasons" I personnally don't understand as I see nothing wrong by being a groom, by a white one). I don't know who made the "groom" copy but it is good quality and the seller from EBay had several to sell. They are new copies but have no idea when they were issued (obviousely not recently as there are two sound tracks and from what I understand new films have only the main track).

--------------------
Dominique

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted December 23, 2014 05:20 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The French film Les grandes vacances (Summer Holidays) with the famous actor Louis de Funes. It was not the complete film but four extracts spliced together. It is not like an edited digest but it is still possible to follow the story, even if more minutes of the film would have been appreciated.

--------------------
Dominique

John Capazzo
Master Film Handler

- posted December 23, 2014 09:57 PM      Profile for John Capazzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Escape from Alcatraz; 3x400' Marketing. Sharp and most color still retained. Better than the feature, IMO.

--------------------
"the image is about 30 feet ahead of us."

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 24, 2014 08:03 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My first post here, Christmas eve and the films were flowing, carry on screaming, my favourite carry on ever. This was on my wanted list, and Barry at independent 8 came up with the goods, good colour on this early derann feature and sound, next up was Ben Hur, very good colour and sound on this, I don't think it had ever been run, this was the flat version, not sure who did this, but a nice find. Last an the faithful elmo was For Your Eyes Only, an optical print from the same seller in the USA of Ben Hur, colour slight fade to brownish, but the print and sound were good to very good, again the flat version. This ran really well and no refocus either, not sure if its because of the optical print and no stripe, clean sound though with no distortion. Let the Elmo cool down now. Merry Christmas everyone.

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 26, 2014 04:48 AM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After a good meal,a feast actually(!),in the afternoon,the usual standard classic christmas program.The Alastair Sim SCROOGE,The Merrie Melodie THE SHANTY WHERE SANTY CLAUS LIVES,the silent two reel "mockumentary" SANTA CLAUS and two reels of CHRISTMAS SEALS with everybody,from Gary Cooper to Virginia Mayo to Robert Young to Abbott and Costello.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 26, 2014 06:37 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
For Your Eyes Only is a real nice find on S8 I reckon Paul!
One to definitely keep hold of and treasure my friend.

Are you able to post us any screenshots Paul?

--------------------

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 26, 2014 07:05 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just watched "Tommy" the Ken Russell film, a combined reel of the Iver and Columbia extracts. The Iver scenes are a little sharper but going pink the Columbia ones a bit more grain but more faithful colours.

I thought I'd try out the Norisound 412 I haven't taken out of its box for years I had a bit of lamp base trouble, (I'd replaced it but couldn't remember that I had) so put it away and almost forgot it. The two things I had to fix were the take-up reel holder which fell off when I started the motor luckily the fixing screw stayed in the hub so a small cross point screwdriver fixed that, I remember doing this in the past. Also I had forgotten that the big red button under the main control was for threading not as with other brands the sound record activator, and that sound is on at first and when you go to the second lamp on turn the pressure pads are lowered. Still all worked correctly (lucky me, I had left the instruction book in the box) but I'll be keeping an eye on the lamp pins in case of heat damage which was why I changed the lamp base in the first place.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 26, 2014 07:48 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice machines when working well the Later Norrisounds from all accounts I believe Brian?

Never had one but I do like the look of their later Stereo model. Apparently they are one of the few projectors to have their sprung gate the best way around like the Beaulieu's as well as getting the brightest possible image from the A1 231.

--------------------

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 26, 2014 09:26 AM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christmas night I watched "Singing in the Rain" on Super 8. Certainly one of the greatest movies of all time and the perfect film for old movie fans.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Timothy Duncan
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 26, 2014 04:54 PM      Profile for Timothy Duncan   Email Timothy Duncan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guy,
"Singing in the Rain" is one of a very few musicals that I really like. I saw it back in the 80's on VHS and haven't seen it since. I can remember laughing out loud when the blonde was singing (lip syncing) on stage and the curtain behind her was drawn back to reveal Debbie Reynolds doing the actual singing [LOL]!
-Tim

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 27, 2014 04:52 AM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched a 400ft trailer reel, consisting of The Beatles, Elvis and a few others. This was followed by a Pink Panther promo reel. I finished with a Blackhawk "Them Thar Hills".

-

-

-

-

All times are Central
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  170  171  172  173  174  175  176  ...  229  230  231 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC