8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What Films did you show last night? (Page 221)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  218  219  220  221  222  223  224  ...  229  230  231 

Author Topic: What Films did you show last night?
Kev Morrison
Film Handler

- posted February 09, 2019 09:43 AM      Profile for Kev Morrison   Email Kev Morrison   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Kill the Wabbit"!

A Bugs Bunny & Elmer Fwudd classic!

Thanks to you, Steve, I'll now have that danged song in my head for the rest of the day! Aggggh!
[Big Grin]

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 09, 2019 10:04 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Dad was heavy duty into classical music, but used to hate Bugs Bunny (-called him a wise-ass!).

-What's Opera Doc brought him around!

It's one of the greats, but had a working budget multiple times what other cartoons then in production had, and Chuck Jones knew it would never fly with the studio if he presented it as such.

-here is a great cartoon that only exists because someone cooked the books!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted February 09, 2019 10:24 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night was silent night [Smile] Started out with Laurel and Hardy's "The Second Hundred Years" and followed by Melies' "Trip to the Moon."

-

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted February 09, 2019 07:15 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claude François, le film de sa vie (Claude François, the film of his life), a film released in super 8 in Belgium after the (sudden)death of the famous French singer Claude François (after an electrical shock in his bad, in the '70s, safety standards were different from what they are nowadays)). He wrote a song (Comme d'habitude) that was adapted in English Under the title "My Way". At least, that should tell something to Anglo Saxon audiences [Wink]

--------------------
Dominique

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 10, 2019 10:10 AM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday I screened U8 400’ Abbott & Cosrello Go to Mars and the 400’ Flintstones Ann Margrock Presents. [Smile]

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 10, 2019 11:47 AM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Saturday night in the Den was as follows....

Trailers to Titanic, Jurassic Park and Schindler's List.

Then it was reels 2,3,4,and 5 of Casablanca. Still on the lookout for reels 1 and 6 after all these years!

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

Rik Jackman
Junior

- posted February 10, 2019 05:08 PM      Profile for Rik Jackman   Email Rik Jackman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This weekend we had my wife's family round for a meal and afterwards they asked me to give them the home cinema experience. I duly obliged and even threw in some old fashioned choc ices during the intermission [Wink]
The film I selected was the classic 'No Limit' (4x400') starring George Formby which is a real classic in my opinion (although to be honest anything with motorbikes in it is a winner in my book!)
I'm claiming it as a roaring success - the kids were engaged enough to stop looking at their mobiles and all cheered George along. I even managed to get them to join us in a couple of songs!

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted February 14, 2019 05:35 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alien, the digest (in French). Fading copy but most of the colours are still there.

--------------------
Dominique

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 15, 2019 01:38 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No Limit.
Back in the day Derek got hold of a 35mm print to produce the super 8 print. He phoned with the news at the time and its probably the best B&W on Acetate out there from the UK.
Off the Dole was another one lifted from 35mm and a early 4X400 from them. I still have my print a early one diving in quickly to order in the 70's and just a little bit precious to me. [Cool]

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted February 18, 2019 05:07 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First a Donald compilation released by Disney (I also bought, yesterday by the way, the Goofy and the Mickey ones). The seller told me the colours were very good and that's true. Then, an excellent silent film, Hidden Aces, mounted on a 360 mt/1200ft spool.

--------------------
Dominique

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 19, 2019 02:18 AM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Several rare Vitagraph silent comedies,with music and humorous (!) narration,in Spanish,which is not so annoying.All with changed spanish titles. Larry Semon in TROUBLE BREWING,A PAIR OF KINGS and HUSBANDS AND HUMBUGS (if I am not wrong) and two with Jimmy Aubrey,I can't identify.One takes place in Mexico and the other in Russia.Vernon Dent appears in the second one.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 19, 2019 11:12 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We watched our Optical sound feature of "Finders Keepers" a 1983 comedy that is pretty funny and has a good deal of twists and turns and, being a 1983 film, was one of those early filns that incorporated songs from various eras, (I Get Around, American Pie, Take the long Way Home ect) ...

It was an opportunity to try out my "refurbished" Chinon 9500. Sine i was able to do a great job on my ELMO, I decided to do a good cleaning on my opticval sound mechanism on the Chinon 9500, and I even made a really good external speaker for the projector and WOW! Did the optical sound, sound really crisp with good bottom to the sound ...

... and I was pleased to see that the color has held up very well on this print! [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 19, 2019 08:39 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well its been at least 30 years since I last watched "Seven Brides For Seven Brothers" I bought a print brand new back then, but later sold it. This later copy I was given, so last night I thought after sitting on the shelf for a long while, I would screen it for old times sake. Sadly the dreaded fade has now caught up with this one as well, but watching it last night did bring back memories of how some of those MGM releases has soft focus from day one...like this one.

I might screen it again sometime near in the future, just for the fun of it...

The spare GS1200 has been getting a good work out of late going through what to keep and what to get rid off.
 -
 -
 -
 -

John Capazzo
Master Film Handler

- posted February 20, 2019 07:00 PM      Profile for John Capazzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Feb. 20th: back to my childhood in mid 70's with three 8mm silent prints packed on a metal 400' reel: Dracula; Frankenstein meets the wolfman and Creature from the Lagoon I acquired recently. I sat back and 43 or 44 years ago flashed when my father had a beige B&H 8mm autoload silent projector in the house and watched in the living room. I had empty box for one of the prints so I utilized it. Creature was the sharpest; most likely being due to being the second digest Castle produced and struck from sharp negative.

--------------------
"the image is about 30 feet ahead of us."

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted February 23, 2019 04:34 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A Woman Of Paris, with a soundtrack, mounted on a 600 mt/2000 ft spool. I projected the film with my GS 1200 (modified with large spools capacity).

--------------------
Dominique

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 24, 2019 01:17 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Walt Disney's Fantasia from 1940
All complete extracts in proper order for
Feature length

Saturday 2/22

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 25, 2019 12:00 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Halloween Scope feature 1978
Derann

Often sited as the best horror film ever its sure is full of jump out of your seat moments. Back in the day I was delighted when Derann asked me for a review of the 8mm scope release and obliged rather exuberantly looking back. The print was made from a 16mm print so is perhaps a little softer than usual but still excellent fun. A re record from a digital audio source also lifts the print to a new level.

Ended the show with Gracie Fields in Sing as we go....as you do.
 -

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 02, 2019 05:25 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two days ago : a compilation reel of Goofy. Colours are excellent. Although the box and the titles are in French, some extracts have an English soundtracks (while others are in French). I Wonder what Disney had in mind when they released that this way.
Tonight : Earth, the silent Russian classical film. I was surprised to see that the film (which has no soundtrack) runs at 24 fps and not 18. Maybe because the film was released in 1930 and some copies (sent abroad) were set at 24 fps as many cinema already had sound projectors ? Or maybe it was shot with a camera ready for the sound speed ?

--------------------
Dominique

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 03, 2019 09:31 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sunday night March 3

The Sound of Music

Full length CinemaScope

A wonderful picture to screen!

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 05, 2019 03:48 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This evening it was one of those rare pleasures to view a full length feature on super 8 for the first time, without ever seeing it elsewhere.

That feature was The Bells of St.Mary's starring Bing Crosby and Ingrid Bergman 6x 400' which was one of my purchases at Farnworth recently. The print/image and sound quality were excellent, but oh dear! One or two tramlines. Still, a very enjoyable film that now comes highly recommended from me....and Mrs.E !

--------------------

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 05, 2019 03:48 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This evening it was one of those rare pleasures to view a full length feature on super 8 for the first time, without ever seeing it elsewhere.

That feature was The Bells of St.Mary's starring Bing Crosby and Ingrid Bergman 6x 400' which was one of my purchases at Farnworth recently. The print/image and sound quality were excellent, but oh dear! One or two tramlines. Still, a very enjoyable film that now comes highly recommended from me....and Mrs.E !

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 06, 2019 11:18 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chip! My inspiration!

We took out and ran our extract, "The Nutcracker Suite", which starts out with the original trailer to the feature!

(Lovely Derann print)

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 06, 2019 06:01 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A silent classical film : Oliver Twist with Jackie Coogan and Lon Chaney. The Wikepedia in French about this film refers to Blackhawk and the super 8 version.

[ March 10, 2019, 04:47 AM: Message edited by: Dominique De Bast ]

--------------------
Dominique

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 07, 2019 02:31 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Look at Life "Turn of the Wheel" about British Rail scrapping old coaches and steam locos Plus enthusiasts saving them. Also a trailer reel of Hammer and Disney, Dr Jeckle & Sister Hyde, Cinderella and Vampire Circus with appropriate ABC Daysets between them.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted March 07, 2019 03:28 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Been wading thru one of my dear film making friends home movies now left us I'm afraid but my what fun we had making films together and our little jaunts out in his Mini car. He did the continuity for my Cinema in Miniature by the way.

All those years on and Kodak super 8 film still looks bright as a daisy. He had a very dry sense of humour and you had to be on the ball but we certainly laughed a great deal. A nice clip on one of his films testing the new Eumig Sound cine camera features and the sensitivity of the microphone. He worked in the technical side of electronic design so always measuring the tolerance of something or other.

Our greatest feat was filming on the North West tops in a snow storm come blizzard with me holding onto the tripod for dear life and our hair blowing horizontal, that was when I had hair mind you. He was trying to read the script in that severe weather as well. Ah great times!

All times are Central
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  218  219  220  221  222  223  224  ...  229  230  231 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC