8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What Films did you show last night? (Page 33)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  ...  229  230  231 

Author Topic: What Films did you show last night?
Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2009 06:05 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If only... Very busy in those days. No time for using one of mine machines. But happy to know there's someone who does it. Ciao Jeroen!

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

|  IP: Logged

Jeroen van Ooijen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2009 06:27 PM      Profile for Jeroen van Ooijen   Email Jeroen van Ooijen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Gian [Wink] ........Tuesday is your turn,and i'am very curious how Titanic is in super8,i only knew it fron 1998 on 35mm,i did'nt has time to watch it because the succes of it!and now i'am to late [Frown]
Everything ok with you? [Big Grin]

--------------------
Super8 that's the greatest hobby in my life,i was 9 to have my first viewer from GAF.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2009 09:59 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Panayotis
Sorry got a little busy with some work stuff and this weekend is Cinecon so its movies morning til night (Just saw a rare Mary Pickford The Dawn of a Tomorrow) but when it ends Stepping on the Gas will be the priority (w/ pictures, credits, review).

and Michael the mod was suprisingly easy. I had heard someone on the forum saying the only version of the Kodak 8 to get was the one with the 12v 100w, but as soon as I heard the other one used a 110v 500w bulb, I knew that would be the better one for the modification. I basically just removed the wires from the existing lamp base and put in a QLV-1 base (these are the same ones used in the elmo 16-CL and are designed for halogen lamps that have a reflector as part of the lamp, plus they can be used for lamps rated anywhere from 12v 10w up until 240v 600w so I have used them from many different types of mods), hooked up the wires, and added a 110v 300w lamp.

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted September 06, 2009 03:30 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night, we had a blind date with a 16mm film.
Some friends came over for dinner and one was carrying a print of "an unknown film that had been lying on a shelf in his warehouse".
It just so happened to be a pristine print of the 1948 silly comedy called "One Touch of Venus" starring Ava Gardner. Fun film.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 06, 2009 03:40 PM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On Wednesday, we saw Yanis Tzortzis' copies of THE WIZARD OF OZ,Larry Semon's justly booed feature, and Griffith's HEART'S OF THE WORLD with the Gish sisters in a wonderful Blackhawk print.
On Thursday, I watched THE STARS LOOK DOWN, a P.M. print of average quality but, a wonderful film. Also, WITH THE ENEMY'S HELP ,a 1912 Griffith Biograph and a pristine Breakspear print.
On Friday, Gloria Swanson and Bobby Vernon in THE SULTAN'S WIFE (Sennett 1917) and Ben Turpin in THE EYES HAVE IT (Weiss Bros 1929).Two average two reelers,not the best of either star,but exellent Blackhawk copies.All films on super 8.
Saturday night,at a friend's open-air cinema,we were treated to a series of Nazi newsreels on super 8,courtesy of historic film collector Y.T. (!) and concluded with LES VACANCES DE MONSIEUR HULOT on 35 mm. I can say it was a full week !!!!

Chris Smith
Film Handler

- posted September 06, 2009 09:25 PM      Profile for Chris Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We finally had some beautiful suburban Philadelphia weather for our Drive-In night last night...Started the show with The NATIONAL ANTHEM (16mm), then the Stooges in FRIGHT NIGHT (16mm), a trailer for ANGELS WITH DIRTY FACES (16mm) and a short Drive -In INTERMISSION trailer (16mm). The feature was BLUE HAWAII (Super 8) and it was sad to watch this once beautiful print--it had turned into RED Hawaii--only about 20% of the color left. That was the scheduled show, but the crowd wanted more so out came a pile of 16mm shorts including the Sid Davis classic ALCOHOL IS DYNAMITE, then from the 1940s, HOW DO YOU DO? an etiquette short for teenagers in which the phrase "How Do You Do?" is repeated a gazillion times, and TRADER VIC'S USED CARS...real crowd pleasers!

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 07, 2009 01:39 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Panayotis, sounds like a great week of screenings - the blackhawk Hearts of the World is a great one...I will have to give that one a screening again soon....I think I am one of the few who does not absolutely hate Semon's OZ, but it is not a great film by any stretch..Have you ever had a chance to see SPUDS? It is hard to believe it is the same Larry Semon. I just worked on tinting some night scenes blue/green on our 35mm restoration for a screening this week at cinecon.
One question for you regarding With the Enemy's Help Where were you able to confirm this as a Griffith? This is one of those Biographs that I always have wondered about, but haven't been able to find anything concrete...I'm jealous you have a print. Does it share the sophistification of his films from this year?

--------------------

Daniel Aveline
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 07, 2009 11:59 AM      Profile for Daniel Aveline     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night,I showed :

- tom thumb/summer stock trailers
- thunderball trailer
- tess trailer
- john wayne trailer reel(the comancheros,north to alaska,jet
pilot)
- the slipper and the rose trailer
- 633 squadron
I always have great pleasure in viewing trailers before digests
or full lenght feature.This time I was disapointed by 633 squadron, I definitely prefer where eagles dare.

--------------------
D Aveline

Daniel Aveline
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 08, 2009 01:24 PM      Profile for Daniel Aveline     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night I showed:
- the naked spur trailer
- Maria montez queen of technicolor trailer reel
- lust for a vampire trailer
the first reel of showboat...well that's all in fact

--------------------
D Aveline

Peter van Zand
Film Handler

- posted September 08, 2009 03:54 PM      Profile for Peter van Zand   Author's Homepage   Email Peter van Zand   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First the Castle digest of Wolfman on my new Sankyo with 1.0 lens, followed by some trailers (Tomb raider, Hannibal). The picture quality with this lens is simply amazing.
Then the first reel of 16mm Pane, Amore e Fantasia, a classic Italian comedy that made a star of Gina Lollobrigida, on the Bauer P7. Lollobrigida and Angelina Jolie in one show, what a night [Big Grin]

[ September 08, 2009, 06:14 PM: Message edited by: Peter van Zand ]

--------------------
www.vergetenfilm.nl

Michael Beyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 10, 2009 01:38 AM      Profile for Michael Beyer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Beyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oemer:
Yes, Dean Martin is still great in Rio Bravo, but Walter Brennan, too.
It's one of my favourites of John Wayne. I like the song "Cindy".
And the copy is absolutely good. We had a lot of fun to see it on the big screen with a picture of 1,60 x 1,20 m.

At Friday we screened Titanic once again. This copy is really stunning. I hope that my copy of Star Wars Episode IV (Derann release) arrives today. If not, I will see Terminator 2.
The picture of Scope-Copies is 2,34 x 0,90 m at home...

Keep perforated,
Michael

--------------------
Just remember the time when Home Cinema was not a disc...keep perforated

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 10, 2009 10:15 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wednesday Night September 9, 2009 @ 9:10

DVD projection - my first one since July 20th (It's been super 8 since then!)

Disney Nature first release

EARTH

Production assistance by the BBC Planet Earth series.

I raved about this movie when I saw it last April in wide release. Couldn't wait for the DVD release. And, Disney has struck gold again.

The mastering of this disc is absolutely stunning. They've done EVERYTHING right. There's six or seven trailers on the front, all beautifully hard matted or letter-boxed. I didn't even see the copyright logo, probably at the very end following the end credits. I never even saw it, because I went back to the menu before it came on. But it's not on the beginning, which is also very good.

When the disc loaded in the player, it went right to the first trailer. I pressed STOP to go to the menu for scene selection and it worked. On many older discs by Disney, the player brings up a message that it can't do it. You are stuck watching copyrights and other garbage for about 15-20 seconds before you can navigate.

This was great to see that Disney has followed other movie companies by releasing a disc that YOU can control from the very start.

For those who like movies about the planet, this movie and the disc mastering is A+++++++

Hard matting is important in my setup as I have restricted screen size and I am over the projector's rating for distance throw. In my setup, I can not run full frame DVD with the Panny AX200U or this is too much spillage over the top and bottom of the screen frame. For this reason and in stores shopping, I never ever buy 1:33 DVD's. I could watch them on standard TV. But to me, that's not the way to watch a movie, now is it?

CG

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 10, 2009 10:37 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night:

Derann's "The Titfield Thunderbolt" reels 1 and 2

Tonight:

Reels 3 and 4 (The End)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 10, 2009 04:24 PM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monday, at another friend's house,an all Greek 16 mm show.Greek newsreels, from the early sixties,showing the then king Paul and queen Frederica visiting London and from the early seventies,the junta period,the attempt to kill dictator Papadopoulos.A 1960 documentary on the Corinth canal,( english director,french technicians and german narration!) and a Combat episode with Telly Savalas as a Greek commander feasting and dancing before the big battle,like the ancient Spartans.
On Tuesday,my newest acquisitions, Chaplin's PAY DAY,unfortunately a not very sharp dupe of an original RBC, and personal favorite Charley Chase in ANOTHER WILD IDEA,a washed out print, worse of the three Derann released ones.Flip the Frog in THE MUSIC LESSON, one of the wackiest ones,Tom and Jerry in THE FLYING SORCERESS,in cinemascope,an excellent print of a later T& J drawn in the simpler later fifties style,plus two one reel Sennett cutdowns on std 8 ,Ben Turpin in A BLONDE'S REVENGE and Jack Cooper in TAXI DOLL, both exellent prints.
Wednesday,more of Yanis' prints.Eisenstein's ALEXANDER NEVSKY,plus a documentary on HITLER'S RISE TO POWER.We hope to have still another show by the end of the week !

Dino,regarding WITH THE ENEMY'S HELP.Truth is ,I first consulted THE GRIFFITH PROJECT,Pordenone's indispensable multi-volume guide,and it wasn't there.I thought it was perhaps an omission (!!!) as everybody in the past,from FILMS IN REVIEW to Richard Braff, to Lundquist and Lauritzen, to Gerald McKee listed it as a Griffith film.Finally,today,I looked at the imdb and it mentions Wilfred Lukas as director, so he is the one ! The film is very similar to the Griffiths of the period,down to the familiar actors.

Steve, THE TITFIELD THUNDERBOLT is an exellent Ealing comedy and is unfortunate that Derann edited it down to one hour,instead of issuing a complete print.

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 10, 2009 10:52 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thursday Night September 10, 2009 @ 8:30pm

STEAMBOAT BILL

Super 8 Silent :-)

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 11, 2009 02:06 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Finally back to the action - I managed to knock out Stepping On The Gas on Regular 8 (I put a full review in the review section)
I then switched to 9.5 and watched Pathescope's 2 reel cutdown of Black Beauty (1920) (Pathescope title Black Bess). It looks like an interesting film since it focuses on the humans rather than mainly the horse.

Finally I started the epic GREED (1924) I ran the first 1200 feet of my scored super 8 print, which at 18fps was around feature length itself...I left of at the fight between McTeague and his friend and will finish it tommorrow or the next.

-
 -

Panayotis - thanks for the info on the Biograph film, and my guess is either you have lots of money, or access to a library, since those Griffith project books cost an arm and a leg...If you have them you are very lucky as there is a wealth of information in them..A friend of mine from Sweden has been lucky enough to do some of the writing. - Oh and if you email me at aytab(at)aol(dot)com I have some info for you that you may be interested in.

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted September 11, 2009 09:42 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino,

For your screen captures, although the 3 pictures are B/W but the first capture seems to be brownish?

Why is that? is that because of the stock used? or lab process?

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 11, 2009 02:25 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert I think it is my camera, because it never looks brownish to me. I must admit I don't use any special settings on the camera, so the auto probably jumps around through different white balances. Too bad as it would have been nice if it were due to owning a toned 9.5mm print [Smile]

--------------------

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 11, 2009 02:31 PM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino
I don't have lots of money. I would,perhaps, if I had another hobby for the last 40 or so,years! Since my hobby is "film history",films go along with film literature.So, in addition to my big film collection,I have a big filmbook and magazine collection,which I am also very proud of, that includes complete, or near complete runs of Films in Review, Films and Filming, Classic Film Collector/Classic Images and quite a few others plus the AFI catalogues.Most of the Griffith volumes,I bought from La Cineteca del Friuli,one each year and a few from the B&B at Ealing. One limit I set for myself was to stick to 8 mm. No 16 or 35. Of course when cheaper forms of collecting appeared,(video and dvd)I embraced them,but my main "thing" is 8 mm.

You must project GREED at 24 fps as 18 fps is too slow.

I don't "hate" Larry Semon's WIZARD OF OZ. He tried for something different and failed.In addition to not having many traditional "semonisms",it is uninteresting as an Oz adaptation. I have read about SPUDS,but haven't seen it.I don't think it has been shown outside of film festivals.

On yesterday's post I made a mistake.The Chaplin film I got,is SUNNYSIDE and not PAY DAY.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted September 11, 2009 02:32 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino,

I'm envious of your collection of Silent era stuff on 8mm.

Do you have much Silent era on 16mm?

-Mike

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 11, 2009 04:34 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Panayotis
I was sort of kidding about the Griffith project books, but didn't want to say I was jealous/envious since I say that alot on here....But those are one of the few collections I have not picked up yet since I can't find them in a good price range....But believe me I have far too many books on film/silent film..I keep most of them on a cool online catalog called library thing One day I hope to have the Griffith books....I have lots of the mags as well, but I focus on the film collector ones, like I have most of the Group 9.5 mags going back into the 1960's, and flickers ,etc....I'm sure you have those as well....The one other thing I have is thousands of silent era newspaper clippings since they have lots of good info... Basically anything silent film related I find myself interested in... So if there are ever other films you need info on let me know and I can check my stuff to see if I have anything. Oh and I'll have to double chec kthe speed for GREED since maybe I have it on 24fps because it looks totally fluid, never too fast or too slow....

Michael - Unlike Panayotis, I foolishly have everything from 8 - 35mm Nitrate silent film stuff - I think mainly because I work at the archive and can properly store the bigger stuff...I also have around 40 projectors,,haha...My poor poor wife who puts up with me......I think few others would allows projectrs by the bed in case I need a fix... [Eek!] On 16mm I usually pick up the classics like WINGS, and SUNRISE, BIRTH, etc, but also obscure stuff that I find from time to time on old kodascope prints, the problem is now the silent stuff seems to go for ridiculous amounts of money on 16mm cuz people all seem to release them on DVD on their own little labels...Which is a drag for us that want to watch the films themselves....

--------------------

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 11, 2009 07:47 PM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
....Nice one,Takh, you seem to be excellently promoting my film collection!! Cheers mate,keep up the good work!!! [Wink]

--------------------
Yannis

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 12, 2009 04:19 PM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for your kind words Yanis. After the showing of your second series of those Nazi newsreels next week, I will be up and ready to vote for the national-fascistic party in next months elections ! ! ! !

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 12, 2009 06:04 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some beautiful silent titles being mentioned [Smile]
I ran my 16mm "The Last Laugh" (with Emil Jannings) to see what I would need to fix on it. It came from a school library, so the opening sections (sprockets) on both reels have taken a beating, but beyond that, it is a very nice print.

The film is a good example of how the speeds "crept up" in the silents as we got into the 20es. I can only run at 24fps at the moment, but even with that, the majority of the film played at a pretty naturalistic pace, maybe 2-3 fps too fast.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 13, 2009 01:13 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK so I finished up GREED tonight and cracked open a new print I picked up last weekend at CINECON, and I say new because that is how it looked....Here is some advice I feel safe in giving...Buying old prints of Griffith shorts can prove to be very exciting, since they are often in beautiful shape (they obviously did not get the amount of use the L&H and Chaplin shorts did)....I got one recently from a library collection that had NEVER been checked out, never been played... I just picked up a couple this past weekend, and watched HOUSE OF DARKNESS (Reg 8)tonight, and it looks practically unused...

This is a fun one that has some very unusual shots in it

-

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  ...  229  230  231 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC