8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What Films did you show last night? (Page 49)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  46  47  48  49  50  51  52  ...  229  230  231 

Author Topic: What Films did you show last night?
Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 14, 2009 12:32 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gian I have been noticing that with your elmo you switch out the lenses, sometimes using a 1.0 (man where can I find one of those.... I only have the 1.1) and tonight the 1.3..Do you use certain ones for certain prints or color processes? Your pics are always so great I would love to be able to capture my films as clearly and vibrantly as you do.

OK so I know this name is not the most popular right now but tonight I screened CHC's newest super 8 release, the extended Yellow Submarine (1968) trailer and I have to say it is quite a great one and I would advise everyone to pick up a copy [Big Grin] hehe

Then it was off to the living room for a well worn 16mm print of a B classic?...OK maybe just starring a couple of classic B-actors Dennis O'Keefe and Allison Hayes in Chicago Syndicate (1955), either way it was enjoyable light hearted noir, which is just what the doctor ordered after a rough weekend of playing 2 gigs, 700 miles of driving and a nasty case of flu...

-

Equip - Elmo ST-1200 HD; Elmo 1.1 / Elmo 16-CL; Elmo 1.5 38mm

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

|  IP: Logged

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted December 14, 2009 05:05 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night we screened Toy Story 2 with superb digital sound (thanks, Brad). Complete print featuring the long Dinosaur promo and the Luxo Jr short. I stopped taking pics after a few minutes. The film is so good, and I can't recall how many times I've seen it, that I completely forgot about the camera...
Young Margaux, sitting between her Mom and Dad, was mesmerized.
Getting ready to head south this coming wednesday, towards our cinema in Provence.

-

[ November 06, 2010, 10:38 AM: Message edited by: Jean-Marc Toussaint ]

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted December 14, 2009 05:53 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gian,
That Jurassic Park print looks astonishing.
[Smile]

Paul Martin
Junior

- posted December 14, 2009 06:50 AM      Profile for Paul Martin   Email Paul Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,
You guys watch some amazing stuff! We're moving house at the moment so I started to pack my films away last night. While 'packing' I accidentally watched :

200ft Britains Tram Era (I'm a geek and love any transport film!)
50ft Thunderbirds - Attack of the Aligators
400ft The Avengers - Return of the Cybernauts
400ft Invaders from Mars

With any luck - more 'packing' tonight! [Smile]

--------------------
The world needs more Star Trek on 8mm! :)

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted December 14, 2009 07:35 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good choice of "packing", Paul
(I guess this is why they were called "package movies") [Wink]

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Michael Beyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 14, 2009 07:48 AM      Profile for Michael Beyer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Beyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul,

accidentally watched ??? [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
I would like to have such accidents everyday [Smile]

Jean-Marc:
Very good screenshots.
What a great show for Young Margaux [Smile]
Looks like an excellent print.

--------------------
Just remember the time when Home Cinema was not a disc...keep perforated

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 14, 2009 09:13 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Gian I have been noticing that with your elmo you switch out the lenses, sometimes using a 1.0 (man where can I find one of those.... I only have the 1.1) and tonight the 1.3..Do you use certain ones for certain prints or color processes? Your pics are always so great I would love to be able to capture my films as clearly and vibrantly as you do.

Hi Dino, thanks for your post.
I change the lens depending on the 'surface' I use for the show: Elmo 1.3 for short distance (wall) and 1.1-1.0 for medium/long distance (big screen).
It depends as well on my will to obtain a good result in terms of sharpness and brightness, of couse. You can notice some difference in looking the shots I post: when using the Elmo ST 1200 and a 1.3 lens I'm normally not so far from the wall.
Well, nothing to say when I use my Xenon. In this case the result is always excellent.

Morover, I normally use Elmo 1.3 for scope screenings. Result depends of course on the scope lens I use, but I noticed Sankor 16c/16f on Elmo 1.3 gives such a good effect, avoiding that awful vignetting picture.

I had one Elmo 1.0 lens with my Xenon and found the second one one Ebay. Price is normally high: I've seen one, at the very beginning of the year, sold for more than 500 euro!

Ebay Germany offers sometimes the possibility to find them. Just take a look and good luck. Anyway, your screen captures are good enough to have an idea about your prints [Wink] .

quote:
Gian,
That Jurassic Park print looks astonishing

Thanks a lot, Michael. It is indeed. I'm so happy and satisfied with it, after that long nightmare [Roll Eyes] .

Jean-Marc, no comment on you TOY STORY 2 print eh eh eh. I'm with Micha. Your little girl must be very happy with your shows!

Ehi Micha, when do you post some shots from FOOTLOOSE? I have to decide if to look for it or not eh eh eh. Cannot wait! [Big Grin]

[ December 14, 2009, 01:29 PM: Message edited by: Gian Luca Mario Loncrini ]

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 15, 2009 10:18 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monday Dec 14 2009

THE LADY IN THE WATER

Apartment building superintendent Cleveland Heep rescues what he thinks is a young woman from the pool he maintains. When he discovers that she is actually a character from a bedtime story who is trying to make the journey back to her home, he works with his tenants to protect his new friend from the creatures that are determined to keep her in our world.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0452637/

DVD PROJECTION

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 15, 2009 02:57 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We watched an optical sound feature last night that I'd had sitting around for years un-watched ...

"Children of a Lesser God" (William Hurt, 1986)

It's a great drama about a man whop teaches at a school for the deaf and the deaf woman he falls in love with. Beautiful sharp picture with full colors!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 15, 2009 06:48 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino-

I've been waiting for that Yellow Submarine trailer to come out! And it looks great [Cool] . I'll have to wait till after Christmas though [Frown] .

James.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 15, 2009 11:56 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
James, yep you will be pleased, flawless source material....

Tonight I ran a small Super 8 screening of a few ebay purchases recently, and with it came happiness and sadness, both narratively and personally. First I ran a condensed version of one of my all time favorite films which somehow I have managed to never pick up over the years IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT (1934) - This 400ft version keeps most of the essential scenes, but it just isn't the same without the full development of their relationship, and of course any line missing from the dialogue constitutes a crime in my book. Not crazy about the added voice over play by play, and there's a good deal of wear on this print so I'll probably have to let it go. Next up is definitely a keeper but I do not believe it is a Blackhawk THE VIOLIN MAKER OF CREMONA (1909) an early Griffith I did not know was released on super 8, and still not sure who released it since the intertitles are clearly remade. A decent if not amazing looking print but the Pickford/Moore films always bring a certain bit of interest to me.

-

[ December 17, 2009, 02:21 AM: Message edited by: Dino Everette ]

--------------------

Michael Beyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 16, 2009 02:04 AM      Profile for Michael Beyer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Beyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Gian, my friend,

here they are [Big Grin]

My photos of Footloose with englisch optical sound, but it sounds a little poor. So I played via Notebook the german sound from the DVD. The picture of my print is very good.
Projector: Elmo ST-1200 HD with 1.3-lens.

-

--------------------

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 16, 2009 03:44 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Michael.
Thanks a lot.
Hope to find soon a print. Great shots, BTW!
Ciao.

--------------------

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 16, 2009 03:50 AM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhh FOOTLOOSE I am after this as well on super 8, I have it
in 35mm but it is water damaged.
Last night I ran ONE MILLION YEARS BC in 16mm and BEN HUR 400ft scope in super 8.
Pat [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 16, 2009 04:41 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Patrick.
Hope I'll find soon a copy the same way I wish you to find one too!

--------------------

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted December 16, 2009 06:42 AM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night I had time for a film show at last. We started with "Babes in Toyland", the excellent Laurel and Hardy film which has been discussed on this forum and is a good film for this time of the year. It was a Mountain Films release on 4X400ft reels. This was followed by "The Happiest Days of Your Life" with Margaret Rutherford and Alaister Sim. This is an excellent comedy with the stars playing the heads of a boys and girls school who are forced to use the same building because of an administative error. I had never seen this film before and really enjoyed it. It was a Derann release on 5X400ft reels black and white on colour stock. The print and sound were excellent. Was this film an original Derann release or did Powell or DCR do this originally? Anyway we're looking forward to the next show, Ive got some westerns but my wife hates westerns so I keep putting them off for a later date.

Paul.

Michael Beyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 16, 2009 10:53 AM      Profile for Michael Beyer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Beyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the compliment, Gian.
It is really a great print, but instead of the optical sound, the music sounds a little bit poor and "thin".

--------------------

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 16, 2009 11:09 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all additional info, Michael.
That's what I'd like to have for Christmas. Considering it will be quite impossible, I sit and wait singing JINGLE BELLS [Wink] !

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 16, 2009 01:16 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apparantly, Phil Sheard is just not good at getting back to potential customers, Dino. I asked for him to keep me updated on that Yellowsubmarine release, and have heard nothing.

Bollocks!!

We watched "Little Shop of Horrors" last night, super 8 optical sound. I tell ya, with my Chinon 9500 patched through my dolby surround unit, (with it set on simulated stereo), that soundtrack for Little Shop. was amazimgly good, the best I have ever heard for an optical sound film ... loud, sharp!

--------------------

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 19, 2009 01:09 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi yes that is a shame since you would think potential sales would be a priority these days. I know my wife is going to have to go back to work for someone else(and we'll do her company on the weekends) next year because it is SO HARD to get people to buy things these days with their limited funds.....

I am beginning my mandatory 2 week break from work (a way for the University to save money I guess) so what's on the agenda? oodles of movies [Smile]

Tonight it was a regular 8 screening (if anyone has a really good working Eumig 800 series (preferably 824) they want to trade for a Chinon stereo 1200 let me know as I have a stack of sluggish Eumigs that are all suffering speed wise....

OK but tonight I (accompanied by my pup Brittany and Clara the kittie) started with a nice feature version of one of the Allene Ray/Walter Miller serials. This one a western called HAWK OF THE HILLS (1927) which is striped with a piano soundtrack. If only the Green Archer existed on small gauge...
The show started with a 2 reel Sennett comedy on silent regular 8 entitled SMITH's VACATION (1926)where Raymond McKee and Ruth Hiatt take a vaction that of course goes horribly wrong forcing them to take a vacation from the vacation...

-

Equipment - Eumig Mark S 807 D ; Eumig suprogon zoom 1,2/12.5-25 (18fps since its the only speed that still works)

--------------------

Paul Martin
Junior

- posted December 19, 2009 12:04 PM      Profile for Paul Martin   Email Paul Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Afternoon all.
Still working on the 'packing' for the house move. Todays slacking was the 3x400ft release of Star Trek : The Motion Picture.

The only problem now is A Night to Remember is just there.... looking at me.............. see you in 5 reels! [Smile]

--------------------
The world needs more Star Trek on 8mm! :)

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 19, 2009 12:12 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In memory of Dan O'Bannon I threaded up my badly faded 400-footer of "Alien".

-

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 19, 2009 01:37 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice glow to that image Claus! [Big Grin]

We decided to make it a classics night!

Sunshine Makers (1935, Van Buren, great color)

Hoppity Goes to Town! (great low fade Agfa Red Fox print)

FUN!!

--------------------

Peter van Zand
Film Handler

- posted December 19, 2009 04:38 PM      Profile for Peter van Zand   Author's Homepage   Email Peter van Zand   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back from Dubai Filmfestival and it's really cold, so some cartoons to warm me up. First, 8mm scope Tom & Jerry, Pat Peeves

-

followed by the Madagascar Penguins in a Christmas Caper

-

-

--------------------
www.vergetenfilm.nl

Jeroen van Ooijen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 19, 2009 05:03 PM      Profile for Jeroen van Ooijen   Email Jeroen van Ooijen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love your pictures,nice job. [Razz]

--------------------
Super8 that's the greatest hobby in my life,i was 9 to have my first viewer from GAF.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  46  47  48  49  50  51  52  ...  229  230  231 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC