8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What Films did you show last night? (Page 82)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  79  80  81  82  83  84  85  ...  229  230  231 

Author Topic: What Films did you show last night?
Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 04, 2011 12:13 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oops, thanks for the correction Mike [Eek!]

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

|  IP: Logged

Lars-Goran Ahlm
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 06, 2011 12:54 AM      Profile for Lars-Goran Ahlm   Email Lars-Goran Ahlm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On 16MM three documentary films about the second world war.
All with original titles but Swedish speaker.
I remember seeing these at least twice (during a three year period) when I was in school. They contain some really grusome material at times. I remember that during screening of part three, when there was scenes from a concentration camp, two girls left the room and one acctually fainted, we were only around 14-15 years old at the time.
So you can see that it has been hard to find pictures to upload.

I also like to apologise if anyone finds some of the pictures offensive, but you can hardly make a documentary about WW II whitout including the imagery of the times it portrays.

The first part is called Prelude to conflict and covers the time from 1919 to 1939. It's 27 minutes long.

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

Pictures from parts two and three will follow.

--------------------
"The trouble with these international affairs is that they attract foreigners"

Lars-Goran Ahlm
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 06, 2011 08:18 AM      Profile for Lars-Goran Ahlm   Email Lars-Goran Ahlm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Part two of the WW II documentary is called Triumph of the Axis and covers the first half of the war, when nothing seemed to go wrong for the axis.

This part is 21 minutes long.

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

Pictures from the third and final part will be coming soon on this forum.

--------------------

Lars-Goran Ahlm
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 06, 2011 05:44 PM      Profile for Lars-Goran Ahlm   Email Lars-Goran Ahlm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Part three of the documentary is called Allied Victory and is 26 minutes long.

Beginning with a quote from Churchill "Before Alamein, we had no victories. After Alamein, we had no defeats." it starts there and ends with the question wheter or not this ever will happen again.

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

So, there you have it, 74 minutes of WW II, and it's really interesting, all the important events are covered and a lot of scenes that have become iconic are included.

I am going to take a look at some films about the medieveal period next. Hopefully I will get some pictures to display here.

--------------------

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2011 12:30 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fascinating stuff Lars...I watched a documentary of global proportions myself tonight... [Wink] OK not really, I spent my day watching glorified fluff.. I watched the US version of Godzilla Raids Again (1955) entitled GIGANTIS THE FIRE MONSTER a super rare print on 16mm that I am currently selling..

-

--------------------

David Erskine
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2011 05:42 AM      Profile for David Erskine   Email David Erskine   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to make Dino envious - Sat 8 Jan I did a show for Group 9.5 St. Gabriels - but in 16mm this time!

The feature was ‘Joey Boy’ from 1965 of which Halliwell’s say:- “Abysmal service comedy, incredibly cheap and tatty and the nadir of several of the talents involved!” (So I KNEW I’d like it!! DE)

MFB (in Halliwell’s) says:- “As visually shoddy as it is unfunny … the final shot (Corbett pulling a lavatory chain) is all too crudely apt.”

DE (That’s me, folks!) says:- “I bought this film (from Tony Hutchinson of Syston, who else?) ‘cos, although I’m not a great Corbett fan (I’ve seen him in film, on TV & on stage and thought him rather one-dimensional) I did like all those other British character actors involved. I liked it on first viewing and even on the 2nd and 3rd viewings. However – after 8 or 10 runs (whilst making up the programme) I have got more than a little bored!!”

To start the programme off, there were some ads - Pears Shampoo, HP Baked Beans, Plumrose Hot Dog Sausages, Alka Selter, Hoover Steam/Dry Iron (with Cicely Courtnedge!) - all with P&D (new) open & close. Then a cartoon (Mickey’s Parrot, 1937); a couple of trailers – ‘Jolson Story’ & ‘Tough Guys’ (Lancaster & Douglas) which got me accused of racism and ageism by a VERY PC member!!; a newsreel (Pathe B/W from 1969) and to lead into the feature, a splendid 30s “infomercial” for ‘Stephenson’s Non-Slip Polish’. The 1st part of the feature (and the 1st reel) ends with an ‘Intermission’ (and ‘The Snack Bar is Open’) title. After refreshments (and our chaps/chapesses make a donation of £1.50 which is NOT just for tea/coffee & bickies, it also helps to pay the rent for the room!) Reel 2 has a very short ice cream advert (blink and you’ve missed it!), a ‘Part Two’ title and after that is quite straightforward. Finally, in B/W, a young HM the Queen on horseback at the trooping of the colours with the National Anthem!!

Now - for my sins - I'm also going to be doing the prog on 22 Jan - so I'll have to look round for more un-PC items!!

--------------------
I've NEVER let failure go to MY head!

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2011 01:25 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David, yes I am jealous as always of the G95 get togethers and still counting the days until my potential one and only attendance.. Was the advert reel the CHC "UN-PC" one that Phil has? If not you should look into it for the next show....That being said I think the most offensive part of the evening must have been the following:
quote:
Finally, in B/W, a young HM the Queen on horseback at the trooping of the colours with the National Anthem!!
Trooping of the colours in B/W?...... How dare you sir, How dare you? [Razz]

--------------------

Wayne Tuell
Master Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2011 12:09 AM      Profile for Wayne Tuell   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Tuell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just turned off the 3585 after watching an LPP War Games. My 11 year old was sitting at the edge of his seat. He really got into the movie. Although I had to explain the old computer stuff to him in the movie. [Razz]

--------------------
www.16mmDrive-InFilms.com

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2011 01:26 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wayne I love War Games...Global Thermonuclear War...The Whopper.

"How about a nice game of chess?"

--------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted January 11, 2011 08:39 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
War Games was great, part of a string of fun movies from director John Badham. It also stars John Wood, one of my favorites.

Last night was a look at a number of films recently received from Barry Atwood. Thank you Barry!

Fantasia Revue Film excerpt w/scenes from The Nutcracker Suite and Pastoral Symphony segments
The Beautiful Briny Disney excerpt from Bedknobs and Broomsticks
Daleks' Invasion Earth 2150 A.D. Walton 2x200'
The Spoilers Castle
Duel of the Wizards Disney excerpt from Sword in the Stone

-  -
 -  -
 -  -
 -  -

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Wayne Tuell
Master Film Handler

- posted January 12, 2011 12:48 AM      Profile for Wayne Tuell   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Tuell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Update on War Games, my son was still talking about it today and asking more questions.

Tonight I only watched one short. Re-watched my grainy print of Precious Images.

--------------------
www.16mmDrive-InFilms.com

David Erskine
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 12, 2011 03:29 AM      Profile for David Erskine   Email David Erskine   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino, m,dear - Aesthetically (!) 'The Queen HAD to be in B/W as the feature, newsreel etc were B/W. More honestly - in 16mm the last two Royal playouts (1 for George VI and one for Her Maj [ or, as my late brother-in-law - a rabid lefty - referred to her 'Betty Windsor'] were on fleabay and went for £80 for the King one and £50 for the Qeen one!!!! I got 2 B/W ones - 1 sound, 1 silent - for about £10. By the way, I've booked the hotel, booked the exhibition halls, booked the cinema museum, booked the motor coaches and nearly booked the visit to a stately home & safari park for September!!
Cheers, David E

--------------------
I've NEVER let failure go to MY head!

Bradford A Moore
Master Film Handler

- posted January 12, 2011 08:14 AM      Profile for Bradford A Moore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last Night I watched my newly acquired 8mm Niles print of Witchcraft Through The Ages. I will go into further detail in the review section, for which it deserves.

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 12, 2011 06:23 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How nice is your Beautiful Briny, Doug.
Of course many compliments also for the rest.

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2011 02:12 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just so that anyone who knows about my current fundraising campaign will know I am not selling everything, I watched a film that ain't for sale tonight...This was the final film by one of my absolute favorite stars, Norma Talmadge, called DU BARRY (1930)(sometimes called DuBarry, Woman of Passion)and a film that often gets a bad rap...Sometimes they say it ended her career, but that's not true. Her career ended because she was 36 and did not want to start playing the "older lady" roles..This film does have its problems though, as do most early sound films, but it subtly has some great visuals as well such as the quick little shot of Talmadge/DuBarry slipping her revolutionary lovers' blood soaked rag into the jewelry box filled with trinkets purchased from the blood of the people. Unfortunately the story plays for a 1930 audience and assumes everyone is well familiar with the Belasco play, which apparantly even in 1930 they were not so it gets confusing....That being said it is a rare print and a gorgeous 1930's original on 16mm..

-

--------------------

Lars-Goran Ahlm
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2011 06:59 AM      Profile for Lars-Goran Ahlm   Email Lars-Goran Ahlm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Continuing with educational films on 16MM I have seen Roland becomes a Knight. It covers three occasions in the life of Roland, and his tutoring to become a knight. First we se him as a 7 year old in 1192, then as 14 in 1199, and finally as 20 in 1205.
There are no markings to indicate when the copy is from and as you see it's extremely red, but somehow it fits being as it is set during the middle ages. All kinds of credits are unfortunately missing. It's 13 minutes long.

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

--------------------

Lars-Goran Ahlm
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2011 05:16 PM      Profile for Lars-Goran Ahlm   Email Lars-Goran Ahlm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Continuing with a second film on 16MM about the medieval period.
Life in a medieval city, 15 minutes long.
Oddly it has three different datecodes: 1963, 1965 and 1979 (or possibly 1959, since the same marking applies to several years, but since it's on polyester I would think it's from 1979).
It has turned somewhat but actually looks better than in the pictures.

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

--------------------

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2011 11:29 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug: nice pics. I was always curious about that Castle Films edition.

Dino: The Du Barry feature is very interesting. I like that early stuff,
and a sharp print to boot.

Lars: The documentaries and medieval educational titles are fascinating and worthwhile regardless of the film fade. Capsules of clips and hopefully not to become forgotten.

I wish that someone would tell the youth to throw away the portable tech equipment and get off Facebook. Mostly because it's a useless waste of time, and it also chokes people from communicating and thinking.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Lars-Goran Ahlm
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2011 05:41 AM      Profile for Lars-Goran Ahlm   Email Lars-Goran Ahlm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael: I have been struck by the unexpected high production value of these medieval films, it would easily fit in a really big budget film as background action and sets. It must have cost a pretty fair amount to do these films, but then there was a large worldwide market for them also, so they probably got their money back.

Now on to the third film about the medieval times.
The tournament of Bruges in 1392.
Here the whole city of Bruges is involved in a re-enactment. Everybody, even the spectators, are dressed in the fashion of the late 14th century.
Since this includes jousting, swordfights etc. there was really difficult to get any pictures, there is almost constant action. I took around 50 pictures and of those only 12 was usable.
The print is from 1976 and on SP, and the pictures do not do justice to the colors, they are almost perfect. It's 13 minutes long.

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

Are there anyone that knows when this was? My copy has the code for 1976, so it's prior to that, but when. Perhaps someone on this forum even was there? Please tell if so, or if you know anything about this, it would be fun to know.

I have a fourth film about the medieval period left, but I have yet not taken any pictures, but I will put them up as soon as I have.

--------------------

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2011 11:47 AM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lars,

Indeed, I too was impressed with the realism in the film captures.
An exquisitely detailed treatment used for an educational purposes, is beyond compare. I wonder if the production company was aware of an onsite location to yield unsurpassed credibility to the stories.

I'm surprised that a 1976 stock code is printed on SP. Being that, try to obtain an 80-A filter. This is what I had been told by a fellow collector and that it should eliminate much of the faded color with SP stock film.

There was another thread where someone used a turquoise filter to extract the fade. However, it cut down on much of the projected light.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 18, 2011 03:31 PM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino
what is for sale ??

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 19, 2011 12:20 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey I saw a great print of Wizard of Oz last night here is what the box looks like. I could not belive how the color held up after all these years this thing came out. I will try and post some pics some time this week. It blew my mind when she went from black and white to color it was fantastic. Wow what a find I got it on eBay at a steal of a price. I'm very proud to put it in my collection.  -

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 20, 2011 01:34 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So nice to still see my old thread still going strong..

Well, last night we watched some 9.5mm Optical Sound Films
1/ Betty Boop in: Not Now
2/ 1958 Newsreel
3/ Main feature was: Warn London 1934

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 20, 2011 03:59 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great to see you back on the forum Lee. And congratulations on having the longest running forum thread in existance!

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Douglas Meltzer

- posted January 20, 2011 04:29 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's right, Paul. We're coming up on the three year anniversary of Lee starting this topic!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

All times are Central
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  79  80  81  82  83  84  85  ...  229  230  231 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC