8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What Films did you show last night? (Page 84)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  81  82  83  84  85  86  87  ...  229  230  231 

Author Topic: What Films did you show last night?
Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 13, 2011 02:16 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had a couple of friends over and watched a small 16mm program i put together highlighted by my newest acquisition courtesy of a generous and great fellow collector Kingsley Candler. It was Clara Bow's first talkie THE WILD PARTY (1929). Instead of dangling it in front of me and then telling me it is not available, he told me he was getting a copy and would immediately trade it on to me because he had seen it on my want list....BRAVO, more like Kingsley please. [Big Grin]

I started the night with a little Betty Boop cartoon called Thrills and Chills (1938)and then a Hollywood short about famous folks and their kids SCREEN SNAPSHOTS. There was a quick cameo w/ Boris Karloff amongst others...

-

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

|  IP: Logged

Lars-Goran Ahlm
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 13, 2011 05:37 AM      Profile for Lars-Goran Ahlm   Email Lars-Goran Ahlm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The next educational film on 16MM comes from Disney.
Donald's Fire Survival Plan is 11 minutes long, on AGFA, dubbed to Swedish, and has a copyright date of 1965.

The film begins and ends with Walt himself talking about fire safety. In the animated part we see Donald being "pestered" while trying to read a book. The kids want to implement a safety plan in case of fire, but Donald is not interested. Later he has a dream where he encounters a smaller firefighter version of himself. This "Donald" points out all the fire hazards in the house by creating them. In this segment Donald acctually dies, three times. When he awakes from the dream Donald quickly makes all the changes to make his house safe. Gathering at a firebox after a firedrill, Donald realises that the house are on fire for real. Then back to Walt and the Firefighter "Donald" who has a short conversation about fire prevention.

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

--------------------
"The trouble with these international affairs is that they attract foreigners"

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 02, 2011 01:35 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last Night

-All Cinemascope:

Sounds of Arizona
Bearly Asleep
She Flies!
Honeymoon Paradise
Take it From the Top.

(Wow! I had to rescue this thread from about three pages back! Never thought I'd see that happen!)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted March 02, 2011 02:01 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Betty Boop cartoon evening as she always goes down so well..
So many were shown but the ones I like best were:
No! No! A thousand times no 1935
Little Soap & Water 1935
Betty Boop & Grampy 1935
Song a Day 1936

Wayne Tuell
Master Film Handler

- posted March 02, 2011 02:22 PM      Profile for Wayne Tuell   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Tuell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Public Cowboy #1 and Carolina Moon. Both are 16mm Gene Autry films.

[ March 04, 2011, 10:18 PM: Message edited by: Wayne Tuell ]

--------------------
www.16mmDrive-InFilms.com

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 02, 2011 06:37 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watched PRIVATE WAR OF MAJOR BENSON in 16mm Technicolor. Another one of Charlton Heston's movies not on DVD. One of only 2 comedies he did.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 04, 2011 01:33 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Larry did you buy that 16mm that has been hovering on ebay? I have been watching that one and been so tempted..I have to say guys what formats ya watching?

Tonight I had time for a quick notched one on my finally repaired Coq D'or. It was the French version so I am still hazy on the full story line but some glorious visuals, and the full length film must be amazing at 180 minutes...It was called KOENIGSMARK (1923 aka The Secret Spring) (Pathe 2004, 2005 pt 1 6x30ft, part 2 8x30ft w/ notched titles)..The unusual thing is the lead actor Maurice Lehman apparently only made 2 films and this was the last one. At the Berkeley silent film conference last week there was a trend towards architectural readings of films and this one deserves that treatment as some of the shots really alter the framing to encompass the grand surroundings...

Also I m still hoping someone from France will help me out with an ebay purchase, please email me at aytab at aoldot com if you can.

-

--------------------

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 04, 2011 05:14 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Dino that was the one. I watched it for some time then he lowered it to $137 so I grabbed it. Glad I did, but had to pay Ca. sales tax.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 06, 2011 02:18 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight I watched a 16mm print of REAR WINDOW (1954)for the final time as I am selling it. I had some friends over and my wife commented on me mouthing the dialogue, so I think I have seen it enough...It is made up of 2 prints, one is LPP, the other is AG 2S and has some fade but not total fade, but it has hardly any lines and splices.

-

--------------------

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 09, 2011 01:50 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had time tonight for a couple of shorts on 9.5mm Started with a western based drama with the absolute best cat fight ever..The guys were fighting outside and the girls inside....The film was THE LAST COMMANDMENT (aka Fighting Jack, 1926 w/ Victor McLaglen 1x300ft SB727) followed by a compilation reel with some comedy clips one featured excerpts from the Harry Langdon film FEET OF MUD (1924) the weird thing is it actually has the credit "excerpts from Feet of Mud" which is highly unusual for pathescope so I'm curious if someone else released it. After that was a very quick Monty Banks excerpt w/ no titles and so quick I was not sure where it came from. Followed by 2 shorts from my favorites The Hallroom Boys first was PICNIC FOR TWO (2 x 60ft D10439) followed by A HUNTING WE WILL GO (aka Game Birds , 1922 2 x 60ft D10421) the reel finished up with a zany French comedy called MAISON PREFABRIQUEE

-

--------------------

Wayne Tuell
Master Film Handler

- posted March 09, 2011 11:03 AM      Profile for Wayne Tuell   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Tuell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday was an Our Gang / Little Rascals marathon! 30 titles in both S8mm and 16mm. [Eek!]

--------------------

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 09, 2011 11:04 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm Wayne that reminds me...... [Eek!]

--------------------

Wayne Tuell
Master Film Handler

- posted March 10, 2011 11:33 PM      Profile for Wayne Tuell   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Tuell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hmmm Wayne that reminds me...... [Eek!]
[Razz] no worries Dino...

--------------------

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 13, 2011 03:46 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Standard 8 show tonight - started with a western short HIS ENEMY'S FRIEND (1922, 1 x 400ft) starring Leo Maloney in a Hatfield's vs McCoy's type story. followed with Ham n Bud in RASKEY'S ROAD SHOW (1915, 1 x 200ft Sherwood) which features a hilarious lion gag...These guys get a bad rap for being unfunny, but every now and then they pull out something like this and it makes their comedy worth it. The feature was RAFFLES (1925, 2 x 400ft Perry's Movies)starring House Peters in one of his final lead performances as a Robin Hood type jewel thief. The supporting players in this film were the interest tonight as one of them, Miss Dupont is in a 28mm feature (That Model From Paris, 1926)I have that I am currently fixing up for a screening and it also stars Hedda Hopper who went on to be the queen of Hollywood gossip.

-

--------------------

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 16, 2011 02:08 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quick 9.5mm notched screening on the Coq D'or...
Started with a couple of Italian released Baby shorts..First was il berretto fatalep is a Lloyd, Pollard, Daniels short that doesn't jump out at me in terms of familiarity. Next was poussinet et sa menagerie which is one of Mickey Rooney's Mickey MacQuire shorts and it has one of the funniest variations on an overused gag ever...This may be Mickey's Circus, because Mickey and friends are running around gathering up animals, and at some point, Mickey's friend, the little black boy dives onto a goose that starts flying..He is holding the birds' legs ans bouncing through the air...It was hilarious....Then I ran a reel I was unusure of as it was unlabeled...It was Reel 2 of 4 from Variete OH MY! !! I had forgotten how brilliant this film was, and I only watched one middle reel tonight...I am going to have to pull the whole thing out and watch it as this is
simply one of the most visually stunning films ever.

-

--------------------

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 16, 2011 06:31 PM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just finished DEATH ON THE NILE (1978), the multi star,multi death Hercule Poirot epic, where Ustinov plays Poirot like...Ustinov! Most enjoyable, nevertheless!

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 19, 2011 01:27 PM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night, an all Scope show that included a full 180 ft reel of trailers (GREAT ESCAPE,MAGNIFICENT SEVEN,SLIPPER AND THE ROSE,THERE'S NO BUSINESS LIKE SHOW BUSINESS,FEARLESS VAMPIRE KILLERS,THOSE MAGNIFICENT MEN IN THEIR FLYING MACHINES, SOUND OF MUSIC),MAGOO GOES OVERBOARD,ROBIN HOODWINKED (one of the best Scope Tom & Jerrys),THE NAT "KING" COLE STORY, THE SLIPPER AND THE ROSE (2X400)and IT'S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD.

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 19, 2011 02:20 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow Dino....Nice shots on the Hitchcock REAR WINDOW. I always enjoy that film. It just transports me to another world. I feel like I live in that apartment.

Bill [Smile]

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 20, 2011 12:50 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
last night i pulled out hook line and sinker with jerry lewis i have it on a 1600'+ 2000' reels and showed it on a sheet hung above the fireplace i had to change projectors a few times it has a lot of splices in it and my 2580 did the best job showing it would love to get a better copy it is not even on dvd or video, the color is near perfect but the film has seen better days.

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 20, 2011 02:18 PM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino, isn't the Mickey McGuire short MICKEY'S MENAGERIE (1929)?
an unchanged title, for once ..!

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted March 21, 2011 07:44 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually found a few minutes last night to show a couple of films and boy am I slipping.

Had the Eumig Standard 8mm Sound projector out to show a couple of my early 1970’s purchases so all very nostalgic as we watched Louis Armstrong in two musical shorts. One reel crops up every now and again but the second one I have never seen anywhere in years. Both reels were about 120ft in length simply called Louis Armstrong & His Orchestra.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 21, 2011 11:38 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Panayotis -- THANK YOU!, yes I had forgotten about that one...I get so used to the altered titles I forget that for whatever reason some maintain the original Doh!

Bill - so would that make you the killer? or the almost killed [Big Grin]

Oh and here's a switch -- Reel 1 of what I watched last night..I was trying out my newly made 28mm 1200ft split reel and filmed from the screen R1 of THAT MODEL IN PARIS from 1926, but I was also testing how easily my repairs would pass through the projector...The good news is the repairs passed through like a dream, the bad news is that even though the projector has the capability for 1200ft reels, I think the motor was a little stressed as it had some issues near the end of the reel...I need to look into having it rewound so I can easily watch a whole feature..I guess things don't hold up after 93 years like they used to [Wink]

--------------------

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 21, 2011 03:46 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino...that would be almost killed!!! [Big Grin]

Bill

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted March 22, 2011 04:35 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gave the Bolex SM80 Electronic a good run last night and using the 8ft screen. The black tiny wonder performed very well as we projected the following mainly from Derann Films.

Advert reel number 9
400ft of Arnold Schwarzenegger trailers
Betty Boop in I Heard (1933)
Feature: Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs (1937)
Interval short go get your ice cream
Feature: Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996)
Exit to The Queen

Now that’s what I call a film show but I expect the Bolex wondered what was going on!

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 23, 2011 09:47 AM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night I watched "War Games." What a great movie. Not as perfectly pin sharp as some of the later releases from Derann but still very good. This is a wonderful film for any audience of any age.

After watching this feature I followed with the 400' digest of Failsafe; a bit bleak by comparison but still a perfect companion film. Failsafe has to be one of the best edited digests of all times.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

All times are Central
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  81  82  83  84  85  86  87  ...  229  230  231 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC