8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What Films did you show last night? (Page 86)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  83  84  85  86  87  88  89  ...  229  230  231 

Author Topic: What Films did you show last night?
Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 18, 2011 07:46 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John...I think "So You Want to Build a Model Railroad?' is a riot! I can relate to his obsession...

Bill [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 20, 2011 01:47 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John H - I'd be happy to take that one off your hands...It sounds like it could be fun....I love railroad films.....In fact tonight I watched one.....

Oh and Gary I think the film is a really fun programmer and has all of the elements I look for in a low budget crime flick [Smile]

Tonights' railroad film is titled as a Hazards of Helen episode called THE CONDUCTOR'S COURTSHIP (1914, Perry's Movies 1 x 200ft Super 8)but I don't think it is..It is a railroad film with Helen Holmes, but then so were a lot of Kalem shorts...It is a very simple premise, but a fun one.....and a decent looking print, but someday I hope to find the Novascope 9.5mm, mainly cuz I want all of the Novascope releases.

-

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 20, 2011 10:27 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for those screenshots Dino ...

One of my fascinations with watching the truly ancient silent films is that a good deal of them were shot outdoors and we get a chance to see what this country looked like kets say a hundred years ago.

I am always fascinated with "The Great Train Robbery", for instance. It was made on 1902 (or 03?) and there are long sequences shot outside, and we are being given a glimpse of the the "Old West", before it had truly disappeared completely.

Wonderful ...

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 20, 2011 06:21 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino,

I would love to see this film. If the serial was available, I would not mind adding it to the collection.

My Grandmother-in-law, and born at the turn of the century loved this serial. The Perils of Pauline, Dastardly Dan, were favorites too. But Buster Keaton was a nut.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 21, 2011 03:14 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael there are 5 episodes that I have from this serial on 8 and Super 8 (6 if you count this one, which I still think lies outside the series)and then 2 more on video for a total of 7 or 8 out of the 119 they made...It is a great series and it is too bad more don't exist..

--------------------

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted April 21, 2011 03:51 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino,

That looks like a nice print.
Were all episodes of the series, which are available on 8mm or S8, released by Perrys?

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 21, 2011 11:41 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, to the best of my knowledge Perry's only released the Conductor's Courtship, the rest were put out by Blackhawk, My guess is that since Novascope had released a 9.5 version this is where Perry's got the preprint material, as I have seen other releases that Novascope put out that Perry's also released, perhaps there was even some collaborative deal put in place as releases from both companies came out at similar times around 1973..

--------------------

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 25, 2011 02:13 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spent the last two nights playing gigs, with last night being the best, including a short set I played w/ my friend Roy on drums, Stevie from the Devil Dogs on guitar, and Yoshiko from the 5678's on guitar and vocals. The only one forum members might know is Yoshiko because her main band is the band in Kill Bill...There's a video on youtube PEARL SWARTZ

To counter the modern rock I had a 16mm western themed night for Easter, don't ask me why that made sense to me, but it did.....
Started with a new acquisition an episode of the Steve McQueen TV show WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE--DEATH DIVIDED BY THREE (1960)with guest star Mara Corday as a cold blooded killer, followed by a Trailblazers feature entitled DEATH VALLEY RANGERS (1943) starring the best of the west, Ken Maynard, Hoot Gibson, and Bob Steele...Fun movies, and a fun weekend...The TV show was a nice original print with a few splices, but overall good condition...The feature was sold on ebay as an original but was a dupe, however I only paid $15 for the film so I was happy with it..

-

--------------------

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 25, 2011 06:32 AM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On Tuesday we saw, at a friend's, Luccino Visconti's masterpiece documentary, LA TERRA TREMA in a good 16 mm print. I had never seen it before and was stunned by its starkness, beautifully photographed. The life of poor sicilian fishermen and their vain try to avoid the wholesalers and start business on their own,is justifiably a classic. It is spoken in the sicilian dialect without subtitles,with only partial narration in "formal" italian.
Chez moi, on Good Friday and against the mood of the day,another silent comedy night with several recent acquisitions...
Milton(!) Morante in THREE FACES WEST ('27) (Dino [Razz] [Razz] )
Big Boy in SHAMROCK ALLEY ('27)
Syd Saylor in a "Let George Do It" comedy that may be GEORGE'S IN LOVE. I am not sure as the print has dutch intertitles that roughly translate as "Looking for Nelly". In it,George comes to the big city with only a photograph of Nelly, looking to find her
and gets tangled with crooks,good time girls and cops.The film includes an unusual overhead shot from the ceiling of the room where George and the bad guy fight.
Snooky the "Humanzee" in A TRAY FULL OF TROUBLE ('20).
FOLLOW THE LEADER ('28) "A Fox Animal Comedy",this is another Our Gang clone with Leon Holmes working hard in his father's farm and in the second reel joining his gang,residing in a Boys' School presided over by big Blanche Payson.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 25, 2011 10:39 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I test ran a scored print of "Barney Oldfields race for Life" (pristine Shorty!) and then got on a silent film kick ...

Double Whoopee (a favorite of the silent "Lads" comedies)

Two Features ... "Making A Living" (One of Chaplin's first films, though not in the "Tramp" character).

The Lost World %x200ft very full reels. Standard 8mm on Geveart Bellium stock, a rather old print.

--------------------

Thomas Murin, Jr.
Master Film Handler

- posted April 26, 2011 11:49 AM      Profile for Thomas Murin, Jr.   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Murin, Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night was the premiere showing of my newest 16mm print:

1776 (1972): 4x1600'

Very splicy print with some missing footage, the worst being at least a minute from the beginning of reel 3. Lots of wear and tear with scratches both major and minor and speckling here and there. Also had to repair a couple of pulled sprockets while screening.

However, color is perfect with not even the slightest sign of fade, sound is excellent and focus is very good.

I didn't pay a lot for the print and I'm pretty happy with it overall.

Hope to get the missing footage for the beginning of reel 3 someday.

--------------------
My crummy Deviant Art account. Read my poetic tribute to the internet comic strip Ozy & Millie and view my crappy attempts at art.

http://cougartiger.deviantart.com/

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted April 26, 2011 12:59 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Wow!

1776 is such a great musical, I'd love to have a print!

Being that this was (maybe still is...) a favorite of high school history teachers from Maine to California, I'm betting you've landed yourself a former school print.

We never saw it at school, but I managed to get at least three days out for field trips to movie theaters to watch Adams, Franklin and Jefferson do their thing.

..the first time was at Radio City Music Hall.

The terrible thing is despite the fact that John Adams really looked much different, I can't read a biograghy of him without him looking like William Daniels in my head!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 26, 2011 08:13 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,
I too was at the Music Hall for 1776, and I think it was accompanied by the Easter Show Spectacular?

It's strange to see Jack L. Warner's name on a Columbia feature.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 27, 2011 01:39 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi is your print of Lost World really 96 x 200ft reels??????? [Razz]

OH and Panayotis I am definitely envious of that lineup you just ran was it 16mm?

Tonight I watched on 9.5mm LES MUTINES DE L'ESTRELLA aka BLOOD SHIP (1927, 4 x 300ft)starring some great actors Hobart Bosworth, Richard Arlen, and Jacqueline Logan..and followed it with a Blackhawk short entitled SILENT MOVIE STUDIO (1925, 2 x 200ft)on Standard 8mm which was a promotional film about Universal used to promote their upcoming releases for theatre owners.The final 2 pics show the great director Harry Pollard on the left and Laura LaPlante on the right..

-

--------------------

Antonis Galanakis
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 27, 2011 03:39 AM      Profile for Antonis Galanakis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino,
I was also at the screening of the documentary movie "LA TERRA TREMA". It took place in our common friend’s house. The film was 3x1600ft reels. It was a great and well preserved film and Panayotis described it very well. The photography was really great and I was surprised how they turn the simple fishermen to very good actors. The village is "Aci Trezza" in Italy Sicilia.
By the way, I want to tell you how much I admire your collection and your posts with all these photos. I always read them.

[ April 27, 2011, 05:13 AM: Message edited by: Antonis Galanakis ]

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 27, 2011 11:14 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Antonis
Thanks and I really wish I had some friends close by like yourself to watch the films with, must be that much more enjoyable with a few folks all together who can discuss afterwards...Most of the time I am relegated to myself, maybe the dog, and my wife when I can assure her a happy ending(so that cuts out most of the better films), but that won't slow me down...I figure as much as I love the art form, solitary viewings are still film viewings.....

--------------------

Thomas Murin, Jr.
Master Film Handler

- posted April 28, 2011 10:57 PM      Profile for Thomas Murin, Jr.   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Murin, Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, you're probably correct in my 1776 print being a school print. It bears all the marks of having been constantly started and stopped.

Still, I've been after a print of this movie for nearly a year and rejected several for various reasons. While this print may be a little beat up, the color is perfect throughout.

After checking my laserdisc, there is less missing footage than I thought so I can live with what's missing.

The print has a good home now and won't be abused by history teachers anymore! [Smile]

Also, agree on the actors in this movie. VERY hard to picture Adams, Franklin, or Jefferson or any of the others without this movie popping up in your mind!

--------------------
My crummy Deviant Art account. Read my poetic tribute to the internet comic strip Ozy & Millie and view my crappy attempts at art.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted April 29, 2011 02:58 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Worried my MK3 GS1200 was thinking I had forgotten it thought I had better get the old girl warmed up so we watched The Cruel Sea 1953 and several shorts. Sometime later I realised my Pathe Vox 9-5 sound projector had not seen a film for over 2 weeks so we then watched Send For Paul Temple 1946 and Marry The Girl 1937. There is simply nothing like a film show at home prior to a film collecting event let alone putting one on! [Big Grin]

Ilias Sifakis
Film Handler

- posted April 29, 2011 05:42 AM      Profile for Ilias Sifakis   Email Ilias Sifakis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
@ antonis....next time I also want an invitation to the screening [Razz]

and to add something to the topic....last night I just had a small show of a few 200' films that I recently acquired:
list was...
- Reptilicus
- Rodan
- Phantom Planet
- Bat men of Africa (i wish the film was as brilliant as the cover)

My projector is not behaving good lately, so i've been avoiding screening some features I recently acquired, including the great marketing release of "War of the worlds"

John Skujins
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 29, 2011 08:10 AM      Profile for John Skujins   Email John Skujins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just watched my new derann print of Tex Avery's "The Garden Gopher." Great cartoon but the source print was missing the infamous blackface segment. Only that 2 or 3 seconds is missing.

I also watched a film that was mistakenly sent to me by an ebay seller, a film that I didn't bid on: 400 ft color sound digest of "The Three Musketeers" (1973). I never saw this movie so the plot was lost on me. The digest is mostly fight scenes. Surprisingly, the color is still great on this one.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 29, 2011 10:28 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I HATE when they censor a great cartoon like THAT! (RRRRR!)

My guilty pleasure ...

"Warlords of Atlantis" Ivers print 4X400ft letterboxed

--------------------

Thomas Murin, Jr.
Master Film Handler

- posted April 30, 2011 12:30 PM      Profile for Thomas Murin, Jr.   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Murin, Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night's 16mm show:

SCROOGE (1970): 3x1600'

Flat print, LPP color. In mint condition. Could not be better than if I got it straight from the lab! Just wish it was Scope. Maybe someday.

Christmas aside, this is also my favorite movie musical so I watch it several times throughout the year.

--------------------

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted May 01, 2011 02:08 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thomas. That movie holds very fond memories for me as I went to see it in London the very first day it opened and have loved it ever since. You are indeed a lucky man to have it on 16mm.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 01, 2011 02:44 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watched a few films the last 2 nights, and went to see Scream 4 this after noon...Friday night I watched THE DUEL (1928, 3 x 300ft notched pathe 9.5mm)This is a French film that was clearly influenced by WINGS, with similar looking flying sequences, and a story line that resembles the love triangle narrative only without the war angle, which ultimately makes the dogfight in Duel seem a bit extreme..I was happy to see Gabriel Gabrio as one of the leads, as he is in one of my other favorite 9.5 French films Antoinette Sabrier...Speaking of war tonight I watched a 16mm feature CHINA GATE (1957, B/W 3 x 1600 adapted scope)which was written, directed and produced by Sam Fuller and shared many of the great elements found in his earlier film Steel Helmet by focusing mainly on the characters. Leave it to Sam Fuller to cast Nat King Cole (alongside leads Gene Barry and Angie Dickinson)in a straight dramatic role, but also manage to have him sing within the diegesis..A very underrated film..

-

-

--------------------

David Michael Leugers
Master Film Handler

- posted May 02, 2011 12:05 PM      Profile for David Michael Leugers   Email David Michael Leugers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino

Just want to add to Antonis, it is often I read your posts and wish I lived nearby so I could view your films and engage in conversation. You have a great passion and one hell of a collection of the greatest art form.

--------------------
Live Free or Die

All times are Central
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  83  84  85  86  87  88  89  ...  229  230  231 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC