8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What Films did you show last night? (Page 87)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  84  85  86  87  88  89  90  ...  229  230  231 

Author Topic: What Films did you show last night?
Colin Robert Hunt
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 02, 2011 02:49 PM      Profile for Colin Robert Hunt   Author's Homepage   Email Colin Robert Hunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the same thing Dino. No one to view films with, the wife maybe sometimes likes a film but not often. Would be nice to have some viewings with fellow collectors to discuss film and what to show. So your not the only one. I do not own a dog so even that be be a advantage.

|  IP: Logged

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 02, 2011 08:08 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same here. Most of my screenings are by myself. My 15 year old son will pop in when I show Tom & Jerry's which is quite often. Saturday night I watched the 2nd half of ALIENS. I watched the 1st half about a month ago. Last night I watched reel 1 of WEST SIDE STORY. I've been so busy with my film I hardly have time to 'watch' my films.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 03, 2011 12:06 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David Michael Leugers How far away are you from Steve Osborne? He is in Ohio, but yes I appreciate the enthusiasm and wish a whole bunch of folks lived closer to me so we could have a regular movie club....

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Robert Aragon
Master Film Handler

- posted May 03, 2011 01:31 AM      Profile for Robert Aragon   Email Robert Aragon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night, we(actor, writer, dancer, photographer, film distributor and myself) watched a beautiful 16mm print of a classic THRILLER episode from 1961 titled "Parasite Mansion".

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted May 03, 2011 06:56 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night we watched
Several 16mm cartoons and shorts including a Betty Boop I have only been trying to get hold of on 16mm for around 35 years! At long last it turned up at Tadley Big Screen Time which proves its well worth travelling every mile to a film fair. The Betty Boop in question was NO NO a Thousand Times No 1935 and my fascination with this particular Betty is that it was the very first 9.5mm sound cartoon I obtained in the 1970’s although very chewed up. This 16mm print didn’t have a single line on it and is pin sharp.

We also watched my favourite Popeye from 1935 Dizzy Divers. It’s a cartoon I often include in shows given to youth organisations and they absolutely love it. Good old Popeye!

The final feature was Mystery of the Marie Celeste 1935 on Super 8. This was purchased many years ago and it’s the first time I seem to have run it since purchasing at the Top Hat Club if memory serves me right. As often happens films get pushed to the back row and overlooked, but nice to see I have a Super 8 print as well as the Std 8 version. Its quite a curiosity today not least on film as DVD issues are generally poor and cut, so a good advert for hunting down a genuine film print. FILM WINS AGAIN! [Big Grin]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 03, 2011 10:31 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which Betty was it, Lee?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Colin Robert Hunt
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 03, 2011 03:17 PM      Profile for Colin Robert Hunt   Author's Homepage   Email Colin Robert Hunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At least I dont feel that I'mthe only one watching on my own. If only we all could be together. It's possible on the Internet, but technology on showing films keeps us apart in the sharimg of the viewng filn=m shows.

David Michael Leugers
Master Film Handler

- posted May 03, 2011 05:37 PM      Profile for David Michael Leugers   Email David Michael Leugers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
David Michael Leugers How far away are you from Steve Osborne?
I live in Fairfield which is an hour drive
to Kettering where Steve lives. I have been a reader of his magazine for many years. He is a great guy to do business with.

--------------------
Live Free or Die

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted May 04, 2011 04:15 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi. The Betty Boop was No! No! A Thousand Times No!! 1935.
Mae Questel did the singing....

Last night we watched Plan 9 From Outer Space here on 16mm. This 1959 gem never fails to thrill and for some for all the wrong reasons, but it sure is a joy to watch. Containing the final acting film footage of Bela Lugosi and watching the delightful Vampira on a 8ft screen just about does it for me, so we can expect another screening this week that’s certain.

“Greetings, my friend. We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives. And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.”

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 04, 2011 10:46 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw FLASH GORDON to my wonder I was locked in on the beauty of this old movie . It was a Super 8 B/W print 400 feet sound that was beautiful check out my bio on the subject on the forum main page.  -

-

-

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 08, 2011 09:12 AM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Early this morning "A Hard Day's Night" with the Beatles; full feature.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 08, 2011 11:45 AM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I pretty much watch alone too. Some times I have family over for screenings but usually I'm just by myself.

I go down to Steve Osborne's a couple times a year for shows. It is a lot of fun because we sit around and talk film for hours. He lives 3 hours south from me. I am planning on going down in 3 weeks for Cinevent in Columbus and then down to Steve's to hang out.

I can't wait!

Bill [Smile]

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 08, 2011 03:55 PM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do have some public shows here in my restaurant from time to time, but I prefer watching them by myself. I do wish there were some fellow film collectors in my area.

If any of you are in the Houston - Galveston area please stop by The Stork Club in Galveston. Love to talk to some fellow collectors in person.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 09, 2011 01:44 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guy on what format did you watch the Beatles film?

quote:
If only we all could be together. It's possible on the Internet, but technology on showing films keeps us apart in the sharing of the viewing film shows.
We could do a big crazy skype screening during the BFCC where all us can watch a movie they show through the internet and the folks at the convention could come up to the laptops and talk to us?? [Eek!]

Tonight I did a combo 16mm kodascope / fragment screening with a few kodascopes' that I have that are incomplete and a brand new one I just acquired.

The first one is a currently unidentified reel from either a feature or a 2-reeler, which the titles make me think it may be a Universal Show at Home instead of kodascope. It is about a girl named Alma whose dad (a new oil gusher)sends her to a relatives house. The relative tries to marry her off to her son, until she finds out that Alma's dad has lost his oil money. (first 6 pics)

Next was a Bobby Vernon in a Christie short called SAVE THE PIECES (1928)that is missing the opening and end titles.

Next up was THE LYIN TAMER(1926)Reel 2 only of a zany Fox comedy that has a lion running around a house destroying everything including the house...

Finally my newest acquisition is from a series I have been fascinated by for ages...It is the Telephone Girl series of 2 reelers starring Alberta Vaughn. Vaughn and Gertrude Short are operators in a hotel, and the series revolves around the antics they get into based on different people who check in to the hotel....Kind of like an early Fawlty Towers. This episode was #4 entitled SHERLOCK'S HOME (1924)about a fighter who tries to charm her but ultimately falls flat. Special note that there is an uncredited cameo from Our Gangs' Mickey Daniels in this one. The total feel is more akin to a sitcom than a slapstick comedy, but works in a charming way not unlike the later Sennett shorts such as Campus Vamp and Run,Girl Run..

-

--------------------

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted May 09, 2011 06:27 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watched the lovely and I expect quite rare standard 8 print of S.O.S. Iceberg 1933. Do like watching Standard 8 films on the good old Eumig 824D wonder machine!

Quite a cine weekend what with the 9.5 film group meeting and then out with the 824 last night.

Carl Schneider
Junior

- posted May 13, 2011 09:40 PM      Profile for Carl Schneider   Email Carl Schneider   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I'm new here...
Last night I played 'The Mummy'(1932) and 'Cops' (Buster Keaton, 1922), both silent movies, on my Noris Synchroner. I played the LP 'Music for Meditation' to The Mummy and 'Animals' (Pink Floyd) to 'Cops'. Both movies were slowed down as slow as the projector would play them. I think it's quite amusing playing these old films really slowly played to random music!

-

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 13, 2011 10:26 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carl,

That sounds great. Very creative.

Welcome to the Forum.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Thomas Murin, Jr.
Master Film Handler

- posted May 14, 2011 10:02 AM      Profile for Thomas Murin, Jr.   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Murin, Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night was the premiere screening of my newest 16mm purchase:

THE MUPPET MOVIE (1979): 2x2000'

TV print on Eastman stock. Film turning pink but plenty of color still left. Light lines throughout, nothing severe. Good focus and sound.

Overall, a decent print that I am quite happy with!

--------------------
My crummy Deviant Art account. Read my poetic tribute to the internet comic strip Ozy & Millie and view my crappy attempts at art.

http://cougartiger.deviantart.com/

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 14, 2011 10:23 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Magnificent screenshots from that print Dino. It looks like a superior print there.

--------------------

Wayne Tuell
Master Film Handler

- posted May 14, 2011 10:58 PM      Profile for Wayne Tuell   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Tuell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AHHHH...yet again, I just had to watch my Marketing feature The Warriors....again. I can't even begin to count how many times I have watched this movie over the last 30+ years in one form or another. [Cool]

--------------------
www.16mmDrive-InFilms.com

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 17, 2011 02:00 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wayneee-ayne.....Come out and playeeeeyay!! [Razz]

Here are the images from CALL HER SAVAGE (1932), of which my discussion is elsewhere.

-

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 18, 2011 12:56 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The print looks better than I would have thought, but then I'm not watching every frame.

Could part of it be that we collectors are so into high levels of quality in prints that to find a dupey print of dubious quality irks us?

At least it appears to have decent contrast. At least from what we see, it doesn't look all washed out nor too dark.

I remember far too many absolutely astoundingly horrible Niles features that were so dupey one really wondered why they bothered to print them at all.

--------------------

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 18, 2011 09:22 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, you are right it is not in the Niles territory (of which I rarely got a good 8mm print from them), I would say at least it has an even contrast (no black muddiness, and no washed out whites), but there is no black anywhere in the print just shades of grey, which again I can totally deal with, and in a weird way the photos look pretty good, since for some reason the spots don't show up.maybe i need a different setting on the camera, or I didn't zoom in close enough to pick them up, but my standards are surprisingly not that high on a title I don't have and really are chomping at the bit to get....Maybe I will run a reel this weekend and put the camera on the auto everything and see what they look like...BUT again, VERY happy to have the title....

--------------------

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 20, 2011 10:39 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes..the stills make it look very good indeed. As to Niles...I've had , as everyone, VERY mixed results. Invisible Ghost ..8mm sound....JUST GREAT....Same for Meeting at Midnight....wonderful standard 8mm sound print.... but then there's White Zombie......so bad ...faces ARE white...no eyes..eyebrows....mouths...... sound was pretty bad , too. Cat and the Canary....pretty bad, too..but considering all the other bad prints I've seen of that one, I guess it wasn't awful.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted May 24, 2011 08:32 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Four days have passed and no one watched a film? Amazing.. [Eek!]

Last night had a fun filled evening searching for my Beatles CD's, only to discover my wife had taken them with her to Church so the youth group to listen to them.. [Roll Eyes]

Gave up looking for them so set up the Eumig to watch reels of Standard 8 trailers including a new one to me being "Race Night" This also included a very nice Derann opener so full of nostaligia I had to watch it 4 times no less. Others viewed: Arch of Triumph, Clash by Night, Evil of Frankenstein, Man who was Dillinger, Revenge of the Vampire, Beyone This Place, Queen of the West and Trip to Kill with a Derann logo.

Somewhat later my CD's as if by magic appeared! [Big Grin]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  84  85  86  87  88  89  90  ...  229  230  231 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC