8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Jiri Trnka on S8

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Jiri Trnka on S8
Rob Koeling
Master Film Handler

- posted March 24, 2008 09:31 AM      Profile for Rob Koeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a S8 print of Jiri Trnka's classic puppet animation 'The Hand' coming! (The Hand on YouTube) I can't wait till it gets here. I had no idea that this was ever released on S8. I've got a couple of other Trnka films on 16mm, but I have never seen anything on S8 before.

Does anyone have any idea who could have released this?
This print comes from Germany and is said to have optical sound. The seller (on Ebay) was selling a lot of school films. So, I suppose it is possible that this was some sort of educational (and not commercial) release.

Any other leads to offbeat animation are much appreciated as well.

- Rob

|  IP: Logged

Andreas Eggeling
Master Film Handler

- posted March 24, 2008 05:57 PM      Profile for Andreas Eggeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These are rare optical sound prints for "political education".

Each state (Bavaria, Northrhine-Westfalia,...) has a "Landeszentrale für politische Bildung".

In prehistoric medium age they have lent 8mm prints for free for political puposes to comunicate freedom and democraty. Now only DVD and Video. [Mad]

I have also some prints of them. Sometimes very boring, sometimes very nice and collectable.

Rob Koeling
Master Film Handler

- posted March 25, 2008 08:03 AM      Profile for Rob Koeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Andreas! That makes sense, since 'The Hand' is quite a political film. I don't suppose there are lists out there (on the web) with titles, so I know what to look out for? Did they also do 16mm? Would you mind sharing the titles of some other films you have from this series?

- Rob

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 25, 2008 09:07 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

those "Landesbildstellen" (in Western Germany) mainly did 16mm-prints and only a few Super8-films.
They mainly carried "FWU"-productions (films specially made for schools, e.g. German, English, Maths, Biology, ...):
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Institut_f%C3%BCr_Film_und_Bild_in_Wissenschaft_und_Unterricht
But they also stocked a few classics (some cartoons, some L&H, High Noon, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, ... and several films related to the Holocaust).
I used to have a couple of catalogues of the "Landesbildstelle Berlin" (Berlin (West)) from the late 80s. Each of them did have more than 1000 pages (as they also stocked books, slides, ...). Hence I doubt that there's any of those catalogues online.

Eastern Germany did have an institution similar to FWU. It was called "Institut für Film, Bild und Ton" (ifbt).
(BTW: Most Super8-school-films from Eastern Germany come in special cartridges for the http://super8wiki.com/index.php/Meopta_KP_8_Projector . So you'll have to transfer them to a "normal" reel first.)

Jörg

Andreas Eggeling
Master Film Handler

- posted March 26, 2008 03:39 AM      Profile for Andreas Eggeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joerg,

"Landesbildstellen" and "Landeszentralen für politische Bildung" are different institutes.

Before 1940 called "Reichsstelle für den Unterrichtsfilm (RfdU)", then called "Reichsanstalt für Film und Bild in Wissenschaft und Unterricht (RWU)")

translated: Reichsinstitute for film and picture in science and education

Confiscated by us-military in 1945 because of the bulk of nazi-propaganda in the films.

Follow-up organisation founded in 1945 in west-germany was "Institut für Film und Bild in Wissenschaft und Unterricht" (FWU)
which supplies the follow-up
"Landesbildstellen" or "Landesmedienstellen (federal-state-media-points)
and "Kreisbildstellen" and "Kreismedienstellen" (translated: county-media-points)
They lenting films to schools mainly but also to associations, clubs, societies.....to non-profit purposes.

Some years ago the Landesmedienstelle of Baden-Wurttemberg have had some 16mm prints of Fox-titles for lenting for free.
(f.e. Alien IV, Volcano,...).
Also the p&p is free!!! We have made a fest in our club.
They still have some classics like "Thelma and Louise".

The eastern-german follow-up "Institut für Film, Bild und Ton" supplied schools also with a lot of communist propaganda till to the fall of the wall.

"Landeszentralen für politische Bildung" supply everyone who is interested in democracy and ethical values.

Andreas

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC