8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » maintenance of a GS 1200 Xenon (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: maintenance of a GS 1200 Xenon
Tom A. Pennock
Master Film Handler

- posted April 17, 2008 10:19 AM      Profile for Tom A. Pennock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think John Clancy made an EXCELLENT point about using our projector's. Yes, it is indeed about like driving classic car's every so often to keep them in top shape. I have six Bell & Howell 16mm "brand new" unit's and two Eumig's and one Elmo. I think I probably should take ALL the brand new Bell & Howell's out of the factory sealed cartons and indeed run them. I thought about just leaving them "brand new" in the factory boxes for the future. But they probably should be run without any film at all to just keep them going every so often. I think I will indeed keep a chart in regard's to this and run the unit's every so often.

Thank's John for this excellent idea. Otherwise I think the brand new unit's might very well lock up even when never ever used.

Best, Tom

|  IP: Logged

Hugh McCullough
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 17, 2008 05:13 PM      Profile for Hugh McCullough   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Video of a cold exploding Xenon lamp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVpD8SWzKFM

The idiots involved were very lucky not to have had more damage inflicted on them.

I had a brand new 4K lamp explode in the lamphouse between changeover cue dots.
It would happen on a Premiere, but luckily I was running on reels, and had a third machine so I did not have to replace the lamp, and diachroic mirror in a hurry.

If handled properly, and only exceeding the lamp life by about 25%, the modern lamp seems to be very stable.

--------------------
EIKI Ex 6100 xenon machine.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 17, 2008 08:02 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hugh
That is one very scary video I got a call one night from the cinema as the projectionist that was on had one go "BOOM" as he dropped it while handling it outside its protective sleeve although he had put a welding shield on which is not enough protection he landed up at A/E with cuts and stiches to his hand. The next day I came in and found bits of glass everywhere [Eek!] and as far away as 30ft, he was very lucky I alone now look after the Xenon lamp changes, if a piece of glass was to hit someone say in neck on a main artery that person could be dead in minutes although the chance of of one going "BOOM" is slim accidents can still happen.

Graham.

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 18, 2008 04:51 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I should have said earlier that the smaller the xenon (like GS 1200), the more stable the lamp ie less chance of an unexpected explosion. We used 350 watt xenons in the Hokushin 35mm slide projectors for years in various cinemas.

Striking difficulty generally means the lamp is nearing the end of its life, but does not necessarily mean it is about to explode. The lamp should strike first go, big or small.

All xenon lamps lose light output as they age, the larger the lamp the steeper the fall-off curve. Xenon lamps do not like hot strikes, they need to cool for around 10 mins and strike cold to preserve their life.

When I was part of the worlds largest cinema operator outside the US, we had Ushio (Christie is USA) from Japan work with us direct on xenon training seminars and had access to their factory labs for some of our failures. They are a very professional organisation with decades of xenon manufacturing experience. We learnt a great deal from them; after all back then we purchased thousands of xenon lamps every year!

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted April 18, 2008 08:03 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty scary stuff. Did you see his hands and face afterward [Eek!]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Dimitrios Kremalis
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 01, 2008 11:20 AM      Profile for Dimitrios Kremalis   Email Dimitrios Kremalis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Weekend is coming, time for some lamp changing instructions?? [Big Grin]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC