8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Zeiss Ikon Movielux

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Zeiss Ikon Movielux
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted April 15, 2008 04:55 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just acquired a standard 8 silent projector. It's a Zeiss Ikon Movilux 8A, the smallest projector I've ever seen.

Unfortunately there is no mains lead with it. The male socket at the back has two pins, parallel to one another, someting like the American two-pin but closer together. The pins are spaced 10mm apart, they are 4mm x 1mm wide.

Does anyone know where I can get a female line socket to make up a mains lead?

I had thought of changing the plug assembly for a standard IEC 3-pin as the fixing holes are the same spacing but there will not be enough room as the latter have solder tags sticking out the back whereas the plug as fitted has side entry wires.

Perhaps one of our Continental friends can help, please?

[ April 15, 2008, 09:48 AM: Message edited by: Maurice Leakey ]

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Antonio Costa Mota
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 15, 2008 01:30 PM      Profile for Antonio Costa Mota   Email Antonio Costa Mota   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Maurice
Let me join your appeal. I have tried to find here in Portugal
a replacement cable in vain. I hope someone in the forum can suggest some sort of solution. Regards.

--------------------
António C. Mota

Joerg Niggemann
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 15, 2008 05:31 PM      Profile for Joerg Niggemann   Email Joerg Niggemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, some older Projectors used a mains plug like that one:

-

Could it fit to the Movilux? If yes you can find it here:

http://www.wittner-cinetec.de/katalog/07_vorfu/a_allgem.php

Joerg

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted April 16, 2008 04:01 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joerg

Many thanks for this information. The picture shows what appears to be the correct socket.

Price is 15.88 EUR netto, 18.90 EUR brutto. This I assume means before and after Tax. I do not know German but the English order details say that International despatch is a for a minimum order of 30 EUR. But I do not know if the United Kingdom (from Germany) is "International."

I wlll put the German into a translator, however the dimensions given certainly would match the male socket on the projector.

I have now "lashed" up a lead with crock clips, (not really recommended), just to see if it runs. It does. It will need new belts, a new lamp 8 volt, 50 watt, [A1/17], the new socket, a new lead, and general lubrication. I am not sure if all this expense can be justified, although I see a pink one is on eBay for quite a high price.

The advertisments for it said it was the size of a "lady's handbag." It sure is, unfortunately the long handle/strap is also missing.

But it's probably coming up to being 50 years old. Should I get a "Classic" going again?

--------------------
Maurice

Joerg Niggemann
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 16, 2008 01:37 PM      Profile for Joerg Niggemann   Email Joerg Niggemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice,

you are right, netto/brutto means before and after tax.
If you decide to order there you'll have to use the international order form. You could also get the Movilux belts and lamp:

http://www.wittner-kinotechnik.com/katalog/07_vorfu/c_riemen.php
(Have a look at the section "ZEISS - Riemen")

http://www.wittner-kinotechnik.com/katalog/05_licht/a_lampen.php
(8V 50W lamp, section "Glühlicht")

Joerg

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted April 16, 2008 04:24 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joerg

I am now well on the way to finding the parts I need. I've discovered that the lamp is OK, it just had a dirty centre contact. The motor belt is a strange item, it's a spring belt covered in rubber. Although the rubber on mine has perished and is flaking off and not making any tight contact between the motor pulley and the main drive pulley. I've never seen such a belt before.

Can I please ask for some more help from you and the Wittner site? I also need a carrying belt/strap. This goes from the back to the front and curves up over the top of the projector.

I suppose this could probably be made locally here by a shoe/saddle maker as I assume it is leather.

With many thanks for your help.

Maurice

--------------------
Maurice

Joerg Niggemann
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 18, 2008 05:31 AM      Profile for Joerg Niggemann   Email Joerg Niggemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry I have no idea where to get a carrying belt. Maybe the only chance to get the original part is to go for a second projector on ebay...

Joerg

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC