8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What's Your Favourite Projector? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: What's Your Favourite Projector?
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 07, 2008 03:25 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would be interesting to ask members for their favourite Super 8 projector. And why?

I own Sankyos, Yelcos. Elmos, Chinons, Bell & Howells, and an Agfa.

But my favourite is the Bauer T510 Stereo. It gives an excellent picture, superb sound, and very importantly for using in a small room, it runs so quietly.

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2008 05:26 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Maurice,

Good question. I only have one Super 8 projector, the Elmo ST1200-HD M. Seems there's no real reason to acquire any more.

I do have several Standard 8 Elmo E-80 silent machines, an F-80 and an Ampro Futurist 8; plus a Eumig Mark S Standard 8 sound machine. Some of these have been modified to take 800' reels.

For 16mm, I have 3 Ampros: Standard Stylist, Educational Stylist, Stylist Major Mk 2, and an Elmo 16-CL.

The thing is, in answer to your original question, I like them all equally, but for very different reasons. This is not a "get-out". I would find it really hard to choose between any of them.

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2008 07:19 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
GS1200. Enough said [Big Grin]

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2008 07:19 AM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bell & Howell DCR, DCM & DCT range are pretty good; very steady picture. I also use an Elmo ST1200; again, pretty good all-round performance.

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2008 08:03 AM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For all-round performance, the GS1200. For reliability, the ST1200HD. The Eumig 938 is a good performer, as is a Bell&Howell sound m/c I was GIVEN, still in its original box with price tag and all accessories still in little plastic bags.
I agree with the last point David made.
Mal

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 07, 2008 08:27 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My ST-1200HD M and my Sankyo Stereo-800.

And I loved my Bauer T-450 until a stupid accident (which I caused) screwed up the control logic and the playback circuitry. Now it's beyond repair [Frown]

Oh, and I have a Bell & Howell SoundStar XJ (I suspect it was actually built by Chinon) which is a rather cool little thing. Very simple and elegant in its design...and rather reliable at that. Only the 8V/50W lamp sucks. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2008 08:31 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since I started messing around with films when I was 9 ( 1958), I've had Kodaks, Sears "Tower"s , Bell and Howells, Eumigs of all types and Elmo st1200's of various models. I think the best one..my favorite was the Standard 8 only Eumig Mark S. Heavy metal construction....wonderful threading lights that go off when you run the film....easiest threading in the world..quiet mechanically...super white bright halogen bulb..with an ultra sharp lens. I ran that thing until the rubber on the drive wheels was gone. It's only fault was a 60htz hum on the sound ...which almost all of them had back then. Now...it's the St1200Hd's for super 8. strong , reliable machines without the finicky nature of the GS.

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted May 07, 2008 08:34 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For sound quality hooked up to speakers it would have to be the GS1200. For sound quality from the main speakers alone it would have to be the Eumig S940. For ease of use and quietness it would have to be the Bauer T610. And for picture quality it would have to be the Beaulieu 708EL Stereo with either the 1.1 Schneider or the 1.0 Ektar. Stunning!!

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2008 08:50 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
For me its the Sankyo stereo 800.When it died i sold all my super8 stuff.The best super8 machine ever made.Andy.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 07, 2008 08:54 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gentlemen!

Please pick one only.

--------------------
Maurice

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 07, 2008 08:55 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For me, it's my very reliable Eumig 926 Stereo! It's incredibly gentle on my films, (except for that jerk from the back, and I aint talking about me, it's the back reels set up, the only slight downside to this model.).

The streo sound is just excellent, especially put through my nice Dloby stereo unit (STAR WARS, re-recorded, for instance)!

I would have loved to have a ELMO Mag/optic unit, but SOMEBODY who probably has ELMO's coming out his butt, bought yet another good unit!! (hah!)

You ever notice that people, who own Elmo's just can't get enough of em?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted May 07, 2008 09:05 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Now, now, Osi, I only have 2 super 8 machines. The GS1200Xenon and the newly acquired ST600D M-O. I have tried quite a few machines over the years and I always go back to the GS1200 as an all round good machine.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2008 10:22 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK Maurice.

As it's Super 8 you're talking about, in my case it has to be the Elmo ST-1200HD M, as it's the only Super 8 machine I've got!!

If I were to go for a second Super 8 projector, though, it would be another of the same; so my answer would always be the same!! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Dave.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted May 07, 2008 10:52 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice,

Since you're forcing me to decide, it would have to be the GS-1200. Please don't make me choose between the tungsten and the Xenon!

Doug

P.S. If you would be so kind, I'd greatly appreciate if word did not get back to any of my other projectors.

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

peter booth
Master Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2008 11:16 AM      Profile for peter booth   Email peter booth       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice,
My ELMO ST600 twin track,I have two and love them equally.
Peter.

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted May 07, 2008 11:23 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stranded on a desert island it would have to be my GS1200. I have loved that machine since I was a lad. Sigh. (Tear rolls down cheek as a Naked Indian walks by..)

Douglas Meltzer

- posted May 07, 2008 12:03 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
....who promptly trips over the power cord on the desert island....

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2008 12:06 PM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, - is this naked Indian male or female????????????

--------------------
Dave.

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted May 07, 2008 02:08 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will leave that up to your imaginations!! [Smile]

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 07, 2008 03:41 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice
The Elmo ST1200M bought back in 1979 second hand it has done a million miles and never changed the belt, 100% reliable, its easy to get to the film path gate etc to clean, a 1200ft capacity and a 150watt lamp and with a 1.1 lens fitted looks great what more can one ask for [Big Grin]

Graham. [Smile]

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2008 04:50 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, once in awhile we have great surveys. This is one of them!

Super 8 sound: Elmo ST 1200 HD w/ Optical (Osi do you feel better now)

16MM: Bell & Howell slot load 2580 X 4
16MM: Bell & Howell autoload 2592 X 2

I also have a pair of Elmo ST 1200 D /w optical X 2 and a pair of Elmo ST 1200 HD Magnetic only.

I also have one Bell & Howell 600Z super 8 sound machine. Runs OK but I do not like the bulb (DJL 15 hour @ $35.00 each)

As to why I have so many machines, I am both a projector collector, but I also run with changeover. I'm so addicted to quality film projection, I do not run unless I can continue the show without a break to change reels. When I run for a guest and it is a complete feature program, either I run with changeover or I do NOT run.

Now that's just how I do things at my location. Intermissions are fine when I go to other home cinemas that use film projection.

I've seen the Armchair Odeon films recently, and I think you lads over there in the UK have done really well with some of your cinemas that I have seen.

So no matter how we choose to run, it's all good, and just soooooo much fun [Big Grin]

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2008 05:47 PM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nicest projector I've owned was a Bauer T610-don't have it now though. [Frown] Trev

--------------------
Trevor

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 07, 2008 05:52 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chip ...

No I don't dammit!!

Oh well, in the words of that great intellectual of the feminine side, Snow White ...

" Someday my GS will come ..."

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted May 07, 2008 06:05 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My two favourites are the Elmo GS1200 Stereo and the Eumig 938 Stereo. Both projectors are superb in their own way, with each having particular strong points.
The GS1200, fitted with a 2-blade shutter and an Elmo f1.0 lens, gives the brightest picture and a 1 hour run time. (Unlike Chip, I do not run a changeover, but I admire him for his insistance on running his own home theater to professional presentation standards using his 'Tower' reeling system.)
The Eumig 938 only has 800ft capacity, but it gives the best stereo sound quality and, when fitted with the Kodak f1.0 fixed focal length (non-zoom) lens, the sharpest picture and the best contrast picture compared to the GS. It also, in my opinion, has by far the best recording control arrangement, with that superb outboard mixing console. It's also utterly reliable and hassle free, extremely quiet and smooth running, with rock steady projection, and very very kind to film.
Now if only Elmo and Eumig had got together and created the Elmig! [Big Grin]

-

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted May 08, 2008 01:05 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
GS1200, no doubt. I have a version 1 for regular use and retracking plus a P-Xenon (no recording capacities) for shows.
I'm getting a Dolby processor for my 35mm installation, and I'm kind of eager of trying to plug the Elmo to check how it sounds...

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC