8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Din plug for Bauer-question...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Din plug for Bauer-question...
James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 15, 2008 04:47 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently purchased a Bauer T-610 stereo super 8 projector. Everything works great, but I have been having a little trouble finding a din plug to hook the projector to my stereo system amp.

I did finally locate a plug that fits into the "auxilary out" socket on the projector. On the other end, there are four standard 'male' plugs, for the "auxilary in" for the stereo unit, in the following colors- red, yellow, black, and white.

My question is, since I only need two sockets for the hook up (right side, left side), which wires do I plug in, and which ones do I leave unpluged [Confused] ?

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but its something I havent encountered before, and I don't like fiddling about with wires to much, I'm afraid I might blow something up [Wink] .

Thanks for any help.

James.

|  IP: Logged

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 15, 2008 05:30 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some of these plugs are hard to come by.

Like where do you get plugs that fit the speaker outs on a GS-1200 or Eumig 8xx? I thought our local electronics place has everything, but not these.

Back to James' question. It doesn't sound like this DIN plug was meant to go with the Bauer projector -- correct me if I'm wrong. How many pins does the DIN plug (& jack) have? Do you have a manual, or better yet, is there a service manual uploaded anywhere?

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 15, 2008 06:48 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Bill.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to locate a manual as of yet.

The DIN plug side is the proper fitting for the projector. I believe its a standard 5 or 6 pin plug. Its not designed specifically for the projector, but is the proper standard DIN plug for this socket.

I just don't know which two of the four male standard plugs to plug into my amp.

James.

Joerg Niggemann
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 16, 2008 04:01 AM      Profile for Joerg Niggemann   Email Joerg Niggemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

the 5pin DIN socket is a combined input and output. If you look at the socket, the two pins on the left side will provide the output. Just run a film and try all 4 male plugs with your amplifier to find the right ones. You can't damage anything.

Joerg

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 16, 2008 11:02 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds good to me!

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 16, 2008 05:19 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that information Joerg. I didn't want to fiddle around too much without knowing anything, but that's re-assuring.

Thanks guys for the advice. I should get a chance to try it out over the next few days and I'll post an update.

James.

Jim Carlile
Film Handler

- posted July 17, 2008 04:20 AM      Profile for Jim Carlile   Email Jim Carlile   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds like the correct DIN line In/Out adaptor, two of each, four total. Usually the stereo output uses pins 3 and 5, with 2 as the common ground, attached to the shield. This is the standard 'tape recorder' stereo output. Pins 1 and 4 are the input-- on amplifiers it's reversed, because one's input is the other's output.

Of course, this makes no difference if you don't know what the lead's colors are meant for. So just plug them in to find out-- eventually you'll get two that are outputs, both channels. The other two just go to inputs-- with no signal there nothing will get hurt.

Remember though that most projectors will only output one channel unless both tracks/stripes have something on them. So don't worry if only one output or lead makes noise. That's normal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIN_connector

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 09, 2008 07:32 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An update.....

I would like to thank you guys for the advise. The DIN plug worked PERFECTLY [Smile] .

I enjoyed ALIEN (full-length, scope) last night on my recently-purchased BAUER T-610, and was able to run it through my stereo amp. It sounded great!

It turned out to be the black and the white plugs for the "aux-in" into the stereo, leaving the red and yellow plugs idle.

Question: If I decide to re-record a print on the BAUER, do I just plug the red and yellow into the "aux-out" on the stereo? And, can these four plugs stay plugged-in all the time?

James.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted August 09, 2008 08:06 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes that is correct. The yellow and red will be the line into the machine.

In Europe the DIN plug was very popular and we can obtain them in most electronic stores.

If at any time you guys get stuck I'm sure one of us Brits will be able to help you out.

Here is a link to one of the High Street stores here in the UK which stocks most things DIN.

Maplin Electronics

If you click on "More Information" in each section it will expand to the complete selection.

You will find ready made leads here: Maplin Ready made DIN Leads

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC