8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » New Memeber Introduction

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New Memeber Introduction
Kevan Ellis
Junior

- posted July 27, 2008 08:47 PM      Profile for Kevan Ellis   Email Kevan Ellis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi All
My name is Kevan
I just got hooked on film after years of collecting phonographs, Edison mostly. Now I am interested in one of his other inventions and have alread aquired two projectors. One is an Eiki M-1 16mm and just yesterday I found an Eumig Mark 501 with all the manuals and power cord (just missing the take up reel)for 3.00$ Canada. So I hope someone has an extra one but I will post a wanted in the right area. I love vintage music and have for many years played my phonographs at retirement homes and have just found out that many of the bands and singer I like are also on film [Roll Eyes] Boy, did I miss out on alot of films! My wife was not a big fan of the phonographs but she grew up watching NFB of Canada films in the 70's and 80's because her dad was the distrbuter of films for all the schools in the area. On the weekends he would bring home a few and they would watch them. Tonight I played two films for them in 16mm and they loved it, I think there was a tear my father in laws eye near the end. I hope I am as welcomed to this form as I was to the other one I am in regarding phonographs. Infact after reading many topics in the last few days I know I will. You all sound like great,personable individuals and I look forward to learning more and more about this wonderful hobby, through your lens. I will alway love the phonogaph and who knows I may even tei the two together some day by playing a silent movie with cylinder record or an old 78.
Thank you for you valuble time and efford.

Kevan

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 27, 2008 08:51 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome new memember! (heh heh)

You'll find that we are a sarcastic lot, but also a lot of informed film collectors. I know that I've learned a lot as well.

All the best!

OSI

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 27, 2008 09:20 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Kevan,

I love the NFB stuff, and wish I had more of it on Super-8. All I have is Derann's "Take it From the Top".

What I would give for a couple of Bill Mason films on Super-8!

Have you ever seen one?

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Kevan Ellis
Junior

- posted July 27, 2008 09:37 PM      Profile for Kevan Ellis   Email Kevan Ellis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No Steve
I have not seen any as of yet but his son lives in the area and I have meet him on a few canoe trips. So if there are any, they would be around here. I will keep an eye out for you. NFB(Paddle to the Sea) was on ebay just the other day but it looked quit red in color. I do have Bill Mason on VHS WATER WALKER and SONG OF THE PADDLE.
Kevan

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 27, 2008 10:16 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Masons are nice people, I wrote to their Website a couple of years ago asking about Quetico, the first film Bill ever worked on with Chris Chapman, and received a really nice reply from Bill's widow Joyce.

Bill Mason still lives at the junction of two of my great loves: canoeing and filmmaking. You can't watch his films without feeling the awe he had of nature and the canoe.

I'm just back from a week in Western Maine, almost to the Quebec border. We camped on a beautiful lake and one night packed the boats up with gear and pitched tents a mile up shore from our camper. Otherwise I spent a few days gliding around the lake with a wood paddle and my 12 foot solo canoe and remembering why I enjoy it so much.

Collection on video:

Quetico
Wilderness Treasure
Paddle to The Sea
Blake
Cry of the Wild
Path of the Paddle
Pukaskwa National Park
Song of the Paddle
Waterwalker

This is what passed for "film collecting" before I got back into 8mm about 8 years ago!

--------------------

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted July 28, 2008 03:43 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wewelcome Kevan!

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted July 28, 2008 04:20 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome aboard Kevan.

I actually have a 1940's NFB film for sale on this very forum at the moment, if anyone's interested.

-Mike

peter booth
Master Film Handler

- posted July 28, 2008 04:27 AM      Profile for peter booth   Email peter booth       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Kevan, Peter.

Kevan Ellis
Junior

- posted July 28, 2008 06:48 AM      Profile for Kevan Ellis   Email Kevan Ellis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to all
I see that this forum is split between two formats 16mm and 8mm and alot of the same names on both. I would asume it is ok to float between the two?

Steve if your ever in the Ottawa area let me know I can take you on some great canoe trips. Killarny Park is one of my favorite places. The group of seven painted many of there works there. I've paddled past Bear island were Gray Owl learn the indean way and then got to close to one of the daughters and got chased off the island. Some of the greatest white water in North America is here too.

Kevan

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted July 28, 2008 01:37 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kevan, feel free to float your raft safely along the still-waters of all film gauges, mine happens to be S8/R8 - Shorty

Stewart McSporran
Master Film Handler

- posted July 28, 2008 02:19 PM      Profile for Stewart McSporran   Email Stewart McSporran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Kevan,

I also collect phonographs; I've got an Edison Standard D and a Home (2 an 4 minute version). Also some Columbia disk players and six different HMV 101 variants. In my workshop I'm putting together (slowly) a home designed tinfoil machine! Apart from perhaps picking up a Graphophone I think my phonograph urge is sated.

I find film more socially acceptable - no one else will put up with cylinder recordings [Frown]

Stewart

Kevan Ellis
Junior

- posted July 28, 2008 04:21 PM      Profile for Kevan Ellis   Email Kevan Ellis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know what you mean Stewart

It would be interesting to merge the two, phonograph and film.

My phonographs are

Edison standard B 2/4min with cygnet horn
Edison banner Home with 1905 linoir (linen)horn
Edison diamond disc S-19
Victor Credenza with electric motor only
Edison maroon Gem 2/4min
Edison Amberola 30
Columbia viva tonal 101 portable
If you would like to see some in action just YouTube my username fonofun

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 28, 2008 07:23 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to have one of those very early "cone" record, that used to be on the earliest sound reproduction machines, and it was so awesome to actually have something holding sounds made a good hundred years ago. Thye people? Long dead, and yet, alive on that grooved cone. magnificent!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Stewart McSporran
Master Film Handler

- posted July 29, 2008 03:49 PM      Profile for Stewart McSporran   Email Stewart McSporran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin,

I've just had a look at some of your videos, pretty good. I like the tone of the Amberola with the Toytown record.

I'll see if I can get some videos of my machines in action and put them up (my YouTube id is Scratchydisk).

Stewart

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 29, 2008 04:15 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
welcome Kevan, I merged the two (phonograph and film) back in the 1960s.... I played my silent Castle 8mm monster short films along with Beatles' albums on my phonograph! [Smile]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Carolyn Kovach
Junior

- posted July 29, 2008 06:09 PM      Profile for Carolyn Kovach   Email Carolyn Kovach   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi

I came here looking for some info. [Confused] I was hoping someone could help. I have 6 boxes of undeveloped 8mm double magazines from the 50's. I saw one site that will develop the film but it cost an outrageous amt (IMHO) and I have to pay whether the film develops or not. Ok, I do get the cost of setup (I am sure it's different and there are not that many anymore), and developing (because that's changed too) but if it's a business can't they get this done cheaper than the average lay person? Can someone please explain this to me? Does anyone know if Kodak still does this developing?

Thanks,
Carolyn

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 29, 2008 06:45 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Carolyn,

I think the odds your film will yield any image at all are very, very small. Usually when we talk about trying to develop out of date film we are considering film from the late 80's and early 90's, and the results are hit and miss at that. your film is pushing those odds more than 4 times as far.

Sorry to say I don't think you should try to develop this film, especially where there is a large cost involved.

(I think we're officially off-topic!)

--------------------

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted July 29, 2008 10:07 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Kevan,

Welcome! This is the friendliest forum on the web with two great moderators(Kev & Doug). I too have several NFBC films in my personal collection. One in particular I really enjoy is entitled "e". Of course there is also is "Sergeant Swell Of the Mounties"(not NFBC). Completely "politically incorrect" and I love every minute of it.

The "Paddle To The Sea" was my auction(danajerrye) and did have a lot of wear at the start and was pretty much red.

Jim Carlile
Film Handler

- posted July 30, 2008 02:21 AM      Profile for Jim Carlile   Email Jim Carlile   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Carolyn,

Your 8mm magazines-- are they color or black and white?

If they are black and white, try this guy:

http://members.aol.com/Super8mm/ServicesPage2.html

He can process them pretty reasonably, or advise you. They might come out OK.

If they are color, that's another thing. He can also do old Kodachrome but it will still cost about $40 a roll and need to be transferred to video.

Kevan Ellis
Junior

- posted July 30, 2008 05:25 AM      Profile for Kevan Ellis   Email Kevan Ellis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dan
I hope you were not offended.

I was going to buy it but I hope a better comes along. I may be wrong in waiting.

Paddle to the Sea was one film we saw alot of in the school system in Canada. On the topic of Red film. I know the color will never come back but will the film keep getting redder or pink over time regaurdless or is there a way to keep the film from getting worse?

Douglas Meltzer

- posted July 30, 2008 09:11 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevan,

Welcome to the 8mm Forum! Once a film's color starts fading there's really nothing that can be done. Chances are you'll end up with a totally monochromatic image.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 30, 2008 10:09 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paddle to the Sea is actually an important little film. At least as late as the 80's it was the NFB's most requested title and it earned an Academy Award nomination for Bill Mason. (-At the ceremony, he sat next to Natalie Wood.)

It was a great piece of low budget film making too. Bill and Blake James did pretty much the whole thing out of the back of a Land Rover, even camping out to keep hotel bills out of the budget. It includes a great point of view shot of Paddle going over Niagara Falls. No elaborate special effects involved: they put the camera inside a protective box, started it running and launched it over the edge!

I'm imagining this on a 600 foot reel right now!

--------------------

Carolyn Kovach
Junior

- posted July 30, 2008 12:06 PM      Profile for Carolyn Kovach   Email Carolyn Kovach   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jim,

They are all color from what the box says. Kodachrome II. I posted all the information in New Member questions. Thanks for the information on this guy.

Carolyn

PS I just called Dwight. He does not do this processing. They gave me the name Film Rescue. www.filmrescue.com 800-329-8988 Do you know much about them?

Jim Carlile
Film Handler

- posted August 01, 2008 04:03 AM      Profile for Jim Carlile   Email Jim Carlile   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They're not cheap-- about $40 a roll.

Kodachrome II can't be processed as color any more-- so what they do is process it as a black and white negative, then they transfer it to video. The color processing for this film was discontinued over 30 years ago. In fact, there is only one lab in the world that will still do the newer Kodachrome 40-- Dwaynes in Kansas City.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC