8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Non-rewind reels

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Non-rewind reels
Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 13, 2008 01:59 PM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone ever used (or does anyone use) the GEPE NON-REWIND REEL ? If so, with what degree of success?

Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

|  IP: Logged

Jim Carlile
Film Handler

- posted August 14, 2008 05:02 AM      Profile for Jim Carlile   Email Jim Carlile   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Martin-- I've never used them but I hear they are real cumbersome and they never caught on for that reason-- they were considered to be kind of a joke and not too easy on film. A clever trick, though. Somebody spent a long time thinking about how to do it.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted August 14, 2008 06:43 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got a picture of one of those things?

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 14, 2008 09:56 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here it is, shown mounted on a Eumig machine spool arm;

-

Apparently you use two; the first is loaded as a take up spool, and then transferred to use as a feed spool with the second then used for take up. Because the film feeds out from the middle of the spool, you never need to rewind.
(Am I wrong, but dont some pro film tables work this way?)

Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC