8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » "The Golden Age of Comedy"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "The Golden Age of Comedy"
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 21, 2008 05:22 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently bought the Super 8 sound Walton Robert Youngson's "The Golden Age of Comedy" in a single 400' box.

A lot of stars are mentioned on the box and opening credits but they seemed a long time appearing until suddenly "End of Part One" came up.

How many parts are there to this film and does anybody have the remaining reels for sale?

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 21, 2008 09:44 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice,

There was 4 parts to this, it was released by Walton Films, and I think they sold it as a 4x400' feature, and single parts too, hence your part 1. By the way I noticed Ian at Perry's had the feature of "Days of thrills and Laughter" for sale, another Robert Youngson silent comedy compilation, it may be still there!

Barry.

Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted June 18, 2015 08:34 AM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love the Youngson Comps, I used to have 'Thrills and Laughter' I think that was 5 x 400 if I'm correct, but the sound dipped and was muffled at times. 'Golden Age' is one of my favorites, at 4 x 400 it may be shortened, I'll have to look at the running time as I have most of Youngsons on Region 1 DVD's...I think Monkhouse's 'Mad Movies' are out there somewhere on 8mm or 16mm correct me if I'm wrong...

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 18, 2015 06:55 PM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about 'When comedy was king'? Is it a separate film or another name for'Golden Age'?

--------------------
Yannis

Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted June 19, 2015 03:37 AM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'When Comedy Was King' is a separate film in it's own right, I always think of 'Golden Age' and 'When Comedy Was King' as vol 1 & 2...

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted June 20, 2015 01:16 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Golden Age Of Comedy was also released by Les Grands Films Classique (looks like a Film Office box) under the title "La grande époque". It came on 4x120 meters (400 ft).

--------------------
Dominique

Antoine Orsero
Master Film Handler

- posted June 20, 2015 01:35 PM      Profile for Antoine Orsero   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have it! It is excellent and comprehensive

--------------------
Tony

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted June 20, 2015 02:55 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Youngson was a genius at what he did. GOLDEN is more desirable now than COMEDY/KING since most of the films in the latter are easily obtainable in 8mm, while GOLDEN has some rarer clips.

To understand Youngson's genius, simply watch the WE FAW DOWN clip in L&H's LAUGHING '20s, then watch the full-length short from Blackhawk. Night and day! WE FAW DOWN is actually one of the weakest L&H silents, but Youngson's clip makes it seem like a classic.

Clive Carmock
Film Handler

- posted June 25, 2015 06:08 PM      Profile for Clive Carmock   Email Clive Carmock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
a sealed copy of Part 3 is on eBay right now

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A-Walton-Super-8-Film-/141702607706?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item20fe22335a

Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted June 26, 2015 08:02 AM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this, he also had part 1 which went for £9.99, I don't understand the statement which reads as follows; 'Smart water protected to prevent fraud'...

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted June 26, 2015 08:11 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, I didn't understand,neither. I thought it was an English expression I didn't know, so I made a search. It seems that "Smart Water" is an insurance but I didn't go further in my investigations.

--------------------
Dominique

Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted June 26, 2015 08:27 AM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't understand why you would need 'Fraud Protection' on an old super 8 film, who would want to copy etc,as it would be very inferior copy wise, my mind boggles...

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted June 26, 2015 08:31 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm happy to see I'm not the only one to find that strange.

--------------------
Dominique

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 26, 2015 09:11 AM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Gents,
The term is very much confusing, I agree, but I hope I can help. This is from wikipedia:
SmartWater is a traceable liquid and proprietary forensic asset marking system that is applied to personal, commercial, and industrial items of value to deter theft and to identify culprits for prosecution. The non-hazardous liquid leaves a long lasting and unique identifier that is invisible to the naked eye except under an ultraviolet black light. The SmartWater crime suppression system is marketed globally by SmartWater Technology Ltd, in conjunction with their proprietary crime reduction program, called 'The SmartWater Strategy' (US patent pending).

I think the idea is not to prevent copying, but rather to prevent theft. In other words, if someone were to steal this copy, one could tell the police who, if they found the items, could detect the 'smart water' mark for identification.
Cheers,
matt

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted June 26, 2015 09:28 AM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes but is the marking on the reel, film, box, or the cellophane wrapper, I really don't think it's a selling point, and as the print is at least 40 years old, maybe it's worn off...By the way all his previous Walton prints were advertised in the same way, with 'Smart Water' I always thought Walter was the dumb one in 'Nearest and Dearest'...

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC