8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Bit of Belated Introduction...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bit of Belated Introduction...
Wade Epler
Junior

- posted September 05, 2008 04:03 AM      Profile for Wade Epler   Email Wade Epler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Folks, just thought I'd introduce myself as I have been lurking around here for just way too long. My primary interests lie in media technology, particularly those formats deemed obsolete by the general population.
My earliest super 8 memories are of my father bringing out a projector and some films. He was an English teacher, and he had an after school club where he would screen 200' castle films for kids while they snacked in a light party atmosphere. He probably stopped running these when he got heavily into VHS in about 1982 or so. Flash forward five years and here he is placing that old GAF cheapy projector on the kitchen table and focusing that tiny light square on the fridge. The first reel he loaded up was the Universal horror 'Man Made Monster' with Lon Chaney Jr. Well, that projector ran for all of thirty seconds (long enough for the bus to crash for those of you familiar with the film) before ceasing and shredding the film (folding it accordion style, for those of you familiar with these dreadful projectors). The lights came on, my father cursed a bit, and the whole mess went into the closet.

But my brother and I were hooked. We would get out the films and admire that old box art for hours sometimes. We finally decided that we would repair the projector ourselves, which we finally did after carrying it to a few hardware stores and substituting some plumbing gaskets and vacuum cleaner belts with the kind help of some very patient clerks. With that done, we screened those old films for hours. We frequently watched the Hammer 'Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed' more out of necessity than anything as my Dad hated that one and deemed that our 'test print' to run when the projector had one of its frequent breakdowns (We didn't fix it all that well).
A few years passed and I upgraded to a small but efficient Fuji silent projector, and I found a Canon super 8 camera at Goodwill and began shooting my own home movies. One evening at a friend's house, her father brought out his GAF 3100s and I got to hear some SOUND films for the first time. I was blown away that such a dinky magnetic track could perform so well. I got myself a GAF 3000s and it wasn't too long before I discovered Derann and I was on my way. My first sound print was "Taxi Driver" off of Ebay.

At this point, I was in college and started showing my super 8 stuff to my photo professor, who called me in one day to show me some equipment they were throwing out. Because of her generosity, I acquired a Beaulieu 4008, a Bolex sound projector, a Bolex Rex V with all the accessories, and just about every piece of gear needed to produce movies on film. What a depressing prospect that these things were headed for the dumpster! I later did acquire a B&H filmosound from that school's dumpster, due to a tip from another kind staff member there.

And that's perhaps really why I love this hobby so much: It's been one that has been supported so much through the thoughtfulness and generosity of others. From Gary at Derann right down to that patient manager at Ace Hardware fifteen years ago, I have always had nothing but wonderful experiences. It's this great enthusiasm that I love to bring to others as I introduce the world of film to others.

|  IP: Logged

Barry Johnson
Master Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2008 06:45 AM      Profile for Barry Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now that,coming from the epicentre of modern moving image technology is music to mine,and many others on this forums ears.
Long may you prosper in this grey world of FILM!
The very best of luck to you sir!

--------------------
Standard8 rules!!

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2008 06:53 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Wade!

Thanks for sharing that. Its great to hear how people got started in the hobby. I was 8 when I got my first cheap GAF silent projector and some 50 foot Castle Films, and I've been hooked ever since.

James.

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2008 07:15 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great story, Wade. Ace IS the helpful hardware man. Keep running those films. I started in 1958 at age nine with a hand cranked reg. 8mm projector with max capacity of 50 feet. Been at it ever since.

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2008 09:06 AM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Wade and welcome. Isn't it interesting how most of us were all bitten by the bug as very young kids watching our Dad's film shows, and here we all are many years later still fiddling with film and projectors. Even todays kids are fascinated with film equipment and who knows, maybe they will continue the interest in "bootlace cinema" for another generation or so.
All the best,
Paul.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 05, 2008 09:37 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its true Paul!

My dad would run his EUMIG P8 and we'd watch those hilarious slient movies, (I remember fondly "Cinderellas Cinders" as well as a good number of silent Mickey Mouses.

I left the hobby in 1989 and then restarted again in 2002, and unlike years ago, I will not part with this stuff again. I should have never gotten rid of it in the first place!

Oh, and hey, if you think magnetic sound was so awesome on such a small track, imagine that little optical sound super 8 track! Super 8 was digital long before much of anything else ... was!

LONG LIVE Super 8!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Douglas Meltzer

- posted September 05, 2008 09:44 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wade,

What a terrific story! Glad to have you here on the Forum. And no more lurking!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Wade Epler
Junior

- posted September 05, 2008 09:51 AM      Profile for Wade Epler   Email Wade Epler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks very much for the kind words everyone! To continue the generosity theme, I just had this happen to me on the way out of the office an hour ago:

I was just packing up when a coworker brought in a huge box and said "Here you go; my church was throwing this out and I knew you would want it." Turns out it was a Kodak Pageant in the original box! He also gave me what looks to be a 1940s Victor speaker (it has "victor" molded into the speaker grille). Just put a faded old episode of Mary Tyler Moore through and it ran without a hitch! Now I finally have two 16s for changeovers! Well, I'd say whatever film karma I've had is used up-looks like one of you will be due about now....

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2008 11:11 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good stuff, Wade. Welcome and thanks for telling your story. Nothing beats being in the right place at the right time!

peter booth
Master Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2008 11:50 AM      Profile for peter booth   Email peter booth       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Wade,
Welcome to the forum,I've been running film in one format or other since the 1940's,and still enjoying it.Regards,Peter.

Jim Carlile
Film Handler

- posted September 14, 2008 03:57 AM      Profile for Jim Carlile   Email Jim Carlile   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Super 8 was digital long before much of anything else ... was
So very true. The Canon 814/1014 sound cameras, the Nizo 6000 cameras, and the later Eumig projectors, Bauers, and some Elmos all used digital logic circuitry, before much anything else, except maybe high end B&O stereo stuff. They were about as advanced as you could get back then in the general consumer world..

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 14, 2008 04:09 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, Wade. Good to have you aboard. Enjoy and above all have fun here. [Big Grin]

Just goes to prove that it's 'who you know' just as much as 'what you know'.

Keep on 'truckin''

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC