8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Super Duper 8 (project)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Super Duper 8 (project)
Ian Mackie
Junior

- posted September 16, 2008 08:16 AM      Profile for Ian Mackie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quite interested in finding out if anyone has had any luck converting their camera to this format?

Is it as simple [Smile] as widening the camera gate to expose a larger part of the film?

Wondering if this is something I might look into doing myself or whether this needs to be tackled by a professional camera guy??

Thoughts and experiences most appreciated!

Ian

|  IP: Logged

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 16, 2008 03:39 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian,

As someone who is thinking about getting back into shooting Super-8, the S-D-8 format certainly is intriguing, in terms of giving you a bit more 'surface' to squeeze resolution out of, in addition to getting a more widescreen-friendly frame.

Are you trying to do it just for the camera, for the purpose of running the footage through a modded telecine afterwards, or are you thinking of filing out the gate in your projector as well so it will screen correctly?

I have no experience with metalworking, but I can imagine that the tolerances for doing the gate(s) must be pretty tight, if it is to be a clean, even frame, given the level of blow-up that takes place with the footage.

Do tell more about what ideas you have for using this.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 17, 2008 05:10 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

problems to solve when converting to super-duper8 (alias Max8) besides widening the gate:
a) There's a high chance that you encounter vignetting caused by the lens and hence can't use the whole zoom-range.
b) You wouldn't see the wider picture in the view-finder.
c) The picture's centre isn't the lens' centre any more. Hence zooming will cause strange effects. To eliminate this you would have to move the lens.

Jörg

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted September 17, 2008 06:14 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like its ahrdly worth it, just go to 16mm.
Best Mark.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 17, 2008 09:14 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
....or 9.5mm. [Big Grin]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 17, 2008 09:21 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...or shoot with anamorphic lens.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Joerg Niggemann
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 17, 2008 01:10 PM      Profile for Joerg Niggemann   Email Joerg Niggemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

S-D-8 shouldn't be used for projection. The projector's film guide parts and sound head unit will instantly scratch the additional image area. It's a format for telecine in order to get close to the 16:9 TV screen.

Joerg

Ian Mackie
Junior

- posted September 17, 2008 04:42 PM      Profile for Ian Mackie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmmmm!

Sounds like it could be a lot of work for not much gain!

I think I'll just stick with what I've got already! [Smile]

Thanks for all the helpful replies... I think this is definitely something for telecine rather than projection - but if I ever try it I'll let you all know!

Best regards,

Ian

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 18, 2008 04:36 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to spend a few US-dollars, you could get a "Canon 1014-XLS" turned into a "Max 8 1014" at http://www.pro8mm.com/ :
"Upgrade price for current Canon 1014-XLS owners is $995.00.
Canon Max 8 1014 packages start at $2995.00."
[Big Grin]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC