8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Anyone want a film cleaner ? (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Anyone want a film cleaner ?
Roy Neil
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 19, 2009 02:18 AM      Profile for Roy Neil   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok Folks..

I have been in contact with Brad Miller to get the 'de facto standard' by which Cleaning Media should be used.

The reuseability of Cleaning Media is highly subjective and likewise dependant upon several factors including ( but not limited to ) quantity of dirt on film, 'type' of dirt on film, film tension, film speed, film warp, 'if' cleaning solution is being used and the type of cleaning solution in use.

In a THEATRICAL environment Brad will reuse the cleaning media on the same print.

In a NON-THEATRICAL environment Brad says, "It should be changed anytime a different print is to be cleaned on those media pads, but many people have successfully used one set of pads on 2 different 'similarly dirty' prints before with perfect success"

Bear in mind that Brad is talking about 35mm films which become very dirty very quickly/easily as compared to 16mm and Super8. Likewise 35mm is used in professional venues where projectionists dont often care about their craft - versus collectors whose prints tend to be handled more carefully.

So ...

There are a number of concerns and constraints that come into play and there is no 'one' safe answer for 'how dirty is too dirty' in terms of reusing/replacing cleaning media.

Officially ? I have to take the position of " Change the Cleaning Media after one use for maximum safety, and reuse Cleaning Media at your discretion. The user must determine when the Cleaning Media requires replacement or may be rewound and reused, based upon the debris on the Cleaning Media. "

UN-Officially ? I will say you can 'probably' reuse the Cleaning Media many times - UNLESS your prints are very dirty. I have reused the cleaning media as I posted previously with great success... but my prints arent covered in sand.

The bottomline is use your common sense - if you are cleaning sand or grit off your film .. change the media since that can scratch your film. If the film is 'dusty' or has tape residue or grease .. its probably ok to reuse the media.

|  IP: Logged

Douglas Meltzer

- posted May 19, 2009 07:56 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I plan on using Roy's great device for wet gate projection, not as a substitute for cleaning on rewinds. I'm sure the media can be reused a number of times if you're not cleaning a print for the first time.
There are many things one should look for while cleaning. We've all heard the staple and scotch tape stories, but you need to check for sprocket damage, bad splices, accordion-like sections, and also that last bit of film that comes off the feed reel. I once ran a film where the tail section was folded over twice and it broke the threading guide on my Bauer.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 19, 2009 08:16 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
roy i sent you a email hope you get it thanks

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Roy Neil
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 20, 2009 03:34 AM      Profile for Roy Neil   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim - yes I received your email and I will send you information

Thanks Doug [Smile]

Actually I think once you give it a try you will probably want to use it between rewinds as well - it cleans very consistently ( and more safely ) than cleaning manually.

On the other hand, the body of what you described in terms of a 'first cleaning' I refer to as an 'inspection ' - and I completely agree that all inspection should be done slowly, methodically, and 'By-Hand'. I always inspect prints before I project them for the first time, 35mm is especially critical in this regard.

I use both the Kelmar Cleaner ( 35mm ) and Film-O-Clean ( 16 and 8 ) to clean film between rewinds - but I always inspect prints By-Hand.

Hans van der Sloot
Master Film Handler

- posted June 11, 2009 09:21 AM      Profile for Hans van der Sloot   Author's Homepage   Email Hans van der Sloot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Roy, any news about the filmcleaners?

Hans

Roy Neil
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 11, 2009 04:51 PM      Profile for Roy Neil   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hans I have begun shipping Film-O-Clean, and I have you on the list already.

Send me an email at nrlabs /at/ comcast.net and we can finalize your order.

Hans van der Sloot
Master Film Handler

- posted June 12, 2009 03:40 AM      Profile for Hans van der Sloot   Author's Homepage   Email Hans van der Sloot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Roy, I will send you a mail.

Hans van der Sloot
Master Film Handler

- posted June 12, 2009 03:04 PM      Profile for Hans van der Sloot   Author's Homepage   Email Hans van der Sloot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Roy, did you receive my mail?

Roy Neil
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 12, 2009 07:21 PM      Profile for Roy Neil   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Hans,

Yes - it was in my inbox - you should have a reply

Hans van der Sloot
Master Film Handler

- posted August 28, 2009 05:57 PM      Profile for Hans van der Sloot   Author's Homepage   Email Hans van der Sloot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Roy,

I send you a mail, but didn't get a reply.
I was wondering when you'll be able to send me a filmcleaner.
Hopefully everything goes well with manufacturing them.

Wayne Tuell
Master Film Handler

- posted November 07, 2009 03:38 PM      Profile for Wayne Tuell   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Tuell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For what it is worth, I'm super happy with my film-o-clean. I was able to get one of the first production run units for 16mm. I won't even run my projector without it anymore.

I even have the adapter kit & brackets for S8mm and my pedestal machine ordered as well as a second unit for my cleaning/splicing bench.

--------------------
www.16mmDrive-InFilms.com

Alan Gouger
Master Film Handler

- posted November 07, 2009 04:17 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Roy email sent, thank you.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted November 07, 2009 04:42 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll write up a review of Roy's Film-O-Clean shortly, but I want to let everyone know that it is a superb bit of craftsmanship that finally allows me to fulfill my dream of wet gate projection. No wet dream jokes, please.
Lines and scratches disappear, and the image looks great!

Doug

--------------------

Hans van der Sloot
Master Film Handler

- posted January 19, 2010 03:03 AM      Profile for Hans van der Sloot   Author's Homepage   Email Hans van der Sloot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about that review Doug?
I ordered one too and have high expectations of this filmcleaner.

Joseph Garner
Junior

- posted January 26, 2010 07:37 PM      Profile for Joseph Garner   Author's Homepage   Email Joseph Garner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Roy did you ever make your 8mm or S8mm film cleaner? If so where can I get more info on the type of units it will work on. I have a TOBIN TVT D8C Which is a reworked Bell and Howell. Let me know please.
Joe Garner

Douglas Meltzer

- posted January 26, 2010 07:41 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joseph,

Welcome to the forum! Info on Roy's great cleaner can be found on his website.

Hans,

I'll be posting that review very soon.

Doug

--------------------

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 26, 2010 07:53 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Lines and scratches disappear
Doug, I imagine you simply to superficial wears and lines. I mean, I'd like to think something incredible could happen. I really do. I've been thinking about one of those since longtime. But I'd like first to read some post from people who can really tell us how it works.
I must admit I'm quite ready to order one...
Thanks Doug!

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

Roy Neil
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2010 08:02 PM      Profile for Roy Neil   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry for the late reply everyone - I have been having computer issues which for the moment seem to be under control.

Thanks for all the kind words Doug.

Joseph I just sent you an email.

Gian you will notice that base scratches will vanish with wetgate projection. As the dirt is removed the scratch is filled with a micro-thin layer of fluid and the scratch becomes invisible. Emulsion scratches will not be affected.

Guys there is more to this than simply cleaning the film - especially when used in conjunction with FilmGuard for wetgate projection.

- Projector stays clean. You will have very little to clean between reels as the gate stays nearly dirt free.

- Projector runs smoother. No more clackity clak, the film purrs through the projector.

- The film is MUCH less prone to damage; introducing new scratches will be a thing of the past.

- Ever get a hair in the picture ? .. well not anymore

- Tired of those base scratches ? .. well not anymore

- Film looks better with each projection .. automatically

I am fairly certain that Doug's review will reiterate most of this information ( so you will then understand I am simply providing facts even though I sound like a huckster )

I too look forward to Doug's review, he has been asking me about different details of Film-O-Clean via email - and it can only be for the review he is preparing - so I am fairly eager to read the final result !

www.film-supply.com is a great place to go to see pictures and get more information - the website is up and running and is a work-in-progress ( some of the categories still need stocking )

PLEASE NOTE: www.film-supply.com is for USA and UK sales only - EU sales are handled by Wittner-Cinetec www.wittner-cinetec.com

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2010 07:15 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Roy.
I will probably order one soon, depending on availability.
Ciao.

--------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted January 29, 2010 12:49 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've finally posted my review. Thanks to everyone for being so patient!

Doug

--------------------

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 29, 2010 12:58 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great review.
Roy, I will write you as soon as I come back to Italy.
Ciao.
GIAN

--------------------

William Mouroukas
Film Handler

- posted October 09, 2011 06:06 PM      Profile for William Mouroukas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a new member I've just found this topic. This looks really interesting so I'll be Emailing you Roy to see what your current status is with this.

Edit: Still learning my way around using forums and just found pages 2 & 3. I will be in contact Roy.

Edit: Film O Clean ordered 12 Oct 2011

[ October 13, 2011, 06:57 AM: Message edited by: William Mouroukas ]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC