8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Super 8 Projector recommendations

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Super 8 Projector recommendations
Bill Walsh
Junior

- posted October 14, 2008 08:00 PM      Profile for Bill Walsh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone,

I was hoping that I could get some ideas of what make/models of Super 8 projectors I should look at. I see that there are bunches of them on E-bay. I have a large box full of Super 8mm films(the little 3 inch plastic reels). I need something that is simple, reliable and I can't spend alot of money. Can anyone make some recommendations ?

Thanks

Bill

|  IP: Logged

Knut Nordahl
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2008 01:49 AM      Profile for Knut Nordahl   Email Knut Nordahl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That depends...
There are projectors that will handle both super and double/normal8 film, but most of them do not play sound. You may want a bright projector, so find one with 100 watt bulb or more. How big are the reels you are you going project? (Only small ones?) you need some reelcapasity so that you'll be able to project that 600ft. cut down of your favourit film you just bought in a goodwill store (IT WILL HAPPEN! ;-)).

But seriously, Eumigs, Elmos, Bauers and some Sankyos are generally good buys. For silent film you need a projector that can go at 18fps, so a sound projector with a 18/24 button is a must. Even better are those that have a "potmeter" speed adjusting type.

Some models of the top of my head to look out for could be Bauer *** (thre digits ex: 171), Eumig 800 series and Eumig 93* series (not 90* numbers). Eumig 607/610 is a very nice dual 100w machine, no sound. So is the Sankyo Dualux 1000H/2000H (these are no sound). Elmo GS/ST projectors. Sankyo 500/600/700/800 should be ok I think but I have no personal experience with these.

Generally I would stay away from non-brands, and brands i knew nothing about and go for what I trusted.

Bill Walsh
Junior

- posted October 15, 2008 06:10 AM      Profile for Bill Walsh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Knut....I'll get onto E-bay and see what's available. Yes the vast majority of what I have is the small plastic reels. They look like they are 3 inch reels. I do also have some larger standard 8mm reels(7"), but I have a Bolex 18-5 that I can play those on. Would these small Super 8 films have sound ? If so I should look for one that does sound.

Bill

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 15, 2008 09:00 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill

Look at the edge of the film opposite the perforations, if there is a brown stripe this is a magnetic sound track.

If the film is completely clear in this area then the film is silent.

--------------------
Maurice

Bill Walsh
Junior

- posted October 15, 2008 02:23 PM      Profile for Bill Walsh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Maurice, I'll check them out.

Bill

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC