8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What's Happening! The Beatles in the USA Super 8 Sound

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What's Happening! The Beatles in the USA Super 8 Sound
Robert Tucker
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2008 01:49 PM      Profile for Robert Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know anything about this print or who actually released it on Super 8. It came on 3x 400ft reels and had a running time of 45mins.

Could this be the most rarest film ever on Super 8 as i have never seen this on 16mm let alone Super 8.

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 31, 2008 03:04 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if that's the Shea Stadium concert, which was released on 3X400ft (I believe), I wonder how the colors would have held up these days?

I bet the sound quality would only be marginal. I remember the Beatles saying (on they're Anthology documentary) that they couldn't even hear they're own playing, and so they were winging it, basically.

There was also a 3X400ft of the lads doing they're concert in Japan, and this one is supposed to be much better quality. I saw one of these on ebay a short time ago, the color was about half gone.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Robert Tucker
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2008 03:40 PM      Profile for Robert Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No this was a documentry that was made by Albert & David Maysles. It was a one of a kind documentry made in black & white giving you a personal insight in how the beatles lived a normal day or should i say abnormal day when they first touched down in the US to conquer the states for the first time in 1964.

Now i am not sure of where or how this print has come to light but any ideas on this would be a great help. As i have never seen this in Super 8 in all my years of collecting. So all i can say this print is one of a kind. Unless someone can tell me otherwise!?!.

Mike Tynus
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2008 04:30 PM      Profile for Mike Tynus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a cut-down two part version of this print that's marked HALCO FILMS on the box. Picture quality is pretty good, sound is marginal.

Fascinating footage like the guy who runs alongside their limo with an 8mm camera, Ringo dancing at a local bar like one of the regular patrons, that family watching the Ed Sullivan appearance live on their TV, clowning around with the press and chatting with people on a train, and Paul kneeling on a suitcase so that George can latch it shut.

Robert Tucker
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2008 05:47 PM      Profile for Robert Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mike,

Do you know how much something like this is worth, i assume that your print was made in america and if so do you recall how much it cost if you bought it new?

Do you know the total running time of the film if it is on 2x400ft

I gather the picture is very good as it was filmed on 16mm at the time. I assume the sound is not so good which maybe down to the print having one sound stripe instead of two.

Many thanks for letting me know who released this print as i have never heard of Halco films before.

Mike Tynus
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2008 06:24 PM      Profile for Mike Tynus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Robert,
Halco Films was located on Yucca St. in Los Angeles. I regretfully never got their catalogue, but their ads listed a bunch of rock music films and claimed to have the largest selection of Beatles and Elvis films, along with television shows and commercials, etc.

The copy I have is a used print, and though it's rare I doubt it's worth very much in that it's a shortened version.
I's say the running time is around 30 minutes.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 31, 2008 08:48 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This reminds me, the Beatles must be the group most released on Super 8mm. Would this be true?

I see occasional "The Who" films and a Led Zepplin and the odd concert film from the 60's, but nowhere near represented as the Beatles are!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Jim Carlile
Film Handler

- posted November 03, 2008 03:30 AM      Profile for Jim Carlile   Email Jim Carlile   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's the Washington Coliseum concert. This film's out on DVD:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00018D2X8/ref=cm_rdp_product/179-8008771-6484127

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC