8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Good screen material for video transfer

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Good screen material for video transfer
Mike Carro
Junior

- posted November 04, 2008 11:35 AM      Profile for Mike Carro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want to make some film to video transfers. However my projector does not have enough brightness to light a normal sized screen. So I want the image to be only about a foot wide so it's nice and bright. Trouble is with that small width I can "see" the screen in the transfer. Is there a material that will virtually disappear?
Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted November 04, 2008 11:36 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Formica has always worked very well for me.

Mike Carro
Junior

- posted November 04, 2008 12:13 PM      Profile for Mike Carro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even at such a small size?

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 04, 2008 12:55 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some folks swear by a sheet of white paper like used in a copy machine or computer printer. They tape it to the wall and bring the projector in close.

I've always used my matte projection screen for transfers and had no problems, but the surface of this screen is very smooth.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 05, 2008 12:06 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of options cheaply had at our local CVS Pharmacy (which has oddly enough replaced the old 5 & 10 concept): white posterboard at $1 per sheet, 22 x 28 inches; even whiter and more opaque is the "foam" board, which is coated with a plastic white surface meant to receive lettering, and is about $5 per sheet and much brighter.

The trick on any of these is to find a sheet with zero surface flaws. Then you'll never see a surface texture again.

Mike Carro
Junior

- posted November 05, 2008 01:16 PM      Profile for Mike Carro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Size "does" matter in this case. I will try the poster board. I probably should get a bigger projector so I can use a larger screen. I've been trying some semi-opaque material from an art store but again I can see the texture. I like the ease of using the semi-trasparent material because I can get dead on, although it takes a little bit more room. What I would really like to get is the prism type deal so I can focus right on the frame through lenses. Can't seem to find a supply house for this or even a schematic to make one. Anyone have any leads?
thanks

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 05, 2008 04:17 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's interesting how there are so many variables to take into consideration, even with a topic like this. I'm learning everyday!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted November 08, 2008 02:20 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, a piece of formica mounted to a flat board (so it can't bend) is ideal. Get a piece about 4x4, zoom the projector to make the smallest image possible and physically move the projector until you use most of that 4x4 screen surface. You will get the best focus this way and it permits you to sit your camera right beside the projector (mine usually sits just to the left of the reels and just slightly over...as close as possible) so that you don't have any keystoning.

The results are quite impressive. I used a Panasonic DVX-100 set at 24P with a 2 bladed shutter.

Mike Carro
Junior

- posted November 08, 2008 06:08 PM      Profile for Mike Carro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but that's my problem. If I go out to say 4x4 then I have too little light and the transfer looks like crap. I'm trying to get an approximate 1 foot picture for brightness - and therein lies my dilemma.

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2008 05:08 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Brad, being the consummate professional that he is, knows what he's talking about. My 2c is that I wouldn't go any smaller than a 2-foot wide picture. Sorry, Mike, but if your equipment isn't able to handle that for brightness, you'll probably have to come up with a brighter projector or a 3-chip video camera if you want quality results. See, rats, there is no free lunch after all...

Mike Carro
Junior

- posted November 09, 2008 10:14 PM      Profile for Mike Carro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Three chip cameras I have. But you're right about the brighter projector.
For standard def I'm currently using an XL2.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC