8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » No Light! Please advise

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: No Light! Please advise
Peter Rooney
Junior

- posted November 18, 2008 07:01 AM      Profile for Peter Rooney   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Rooney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I'm a bit lost. My Eumig P8 is feeding film like a charm, mechanically it all works, I can see the bulb working but I can't get a glimmer out of the lens? Yesterday I left the projector running for about 10 mins without any film to check it and the bulb was burning just as brightly and it was projecting quite a bright light but today with the film loaded I can't get it to project any light or film, although i can see the bulb burning brightly and can see the film flickering down the lens there's nothing on the screen.
Any ideas anyone, I'm at a loss.
Peter

|  IP: Logged

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 18, 2008 10:45 AM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I realise this sounds like a silly question but if you hold the film up to daylight can you see any images on the film frames?
Mal

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 18, 2008 11:03 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Peter, could it be that the fan has stopped and one of the blades is blocking the light aperture?

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 18, 2008 11:25 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like the shutter has stopped.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Chip Carpenter
Film Handler

- posted November 18, 2008 12:31 PM      Profile for Chip Carpenter   Email Chip Carpenter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
could it be that the fan has stopped and one of the blades is blocking the light aperture?

That's exactly what I was thinking, when the belts on my Chinon get worn, it runs fine with no load, but once I put a film in, the shutter stops turning . . .

Chip

--------------------
Elmo ST-1200HD M with the Elmo 1.1 Lens and a Chinon 2500GL

Peter Rooney
Junior

- posted November 18, 2008 01:31 PM      Profile for Peter Rooney   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Rooney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks lads but i finally got it working, I simply pushed the speed button to maximum ( trying everything ) and it sprang to life, it seems to reduce the light depending upon the speed of the film. It's quite advanced really and it's my first time using this wee projector. I'm coming straight from HD Digital video, Final Cut pro 3d Design etc, a full digital experience and I'm hooked on this apparatus. There is something peculiarly fascinating about using this equipment and I'm stunned at the quality of the footage having only ever worked with Digital footage. It even allows still frame view. My dad's weekend shows were always punctuated with stoppages, breakages, melted film and blown bulbs etc.
I also found a little bit of kit in the loft which has a mirror at right angles to the projected screen allowing me to film the footage from a right angle, brilliant for digitizing my movies.
I'm now on the lookout for a super 8 projector, can you recommend anything which performs as well as this Eumig P8
And thanks to Mal Brake for sending me some 400 ft reels for free.
Peter

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC