8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Chinon SS1200 Stereo Projector

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Chinon SS1200 Stereo Projector
Robert Tucker
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 19, 2008 04:20 AM      Profile for Robert Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thought i'd pick someone's brains on this machine. Can anyone remember how much they retailed for and when they were actually made.

What is the quality like compared to an Elmo, Sankyo or Braun Stereo machines!?!

|  IP: Logged

Mike Tynus
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 19, 2008 05:01 AM      Profile for Mike Tynus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The last listing I've seen was in 1980 for $850 U.S.
Never used one, though.

Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 19, 2008 08:18 AM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is some info on this unit here:
http://www.super8data.com/
Cheers
Terry

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 19, 2008 11:47 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have one of those and I do like it, but the picture does have some movement that often leads me back to my elmo 1200 HD

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 20, 2008 03:07 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Picture movement Dino? They are renowned for cam wear but this can be repaired - my own SS1200 was going to go in for this many years ago but I don't use it very often so hardly seemed worth it.

Robert, the SS1200 is a good Super 8 projector but suffers like most from too many plastic parts. I completely wore the main motor out on the first one I had and suffered scratching due to wear on just about all the plastic film guides. You'll need a slender 'Scope lens as the 1.3 zoom lens of the machine is set well back in the casing.

Retailed for £795 over here but this was when they were imported from Spain in the early 1990's (by Perry's). As far as I know they were never officially marketed in the UK by Chinon.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted December 20, 2008 03:38 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't Chinon a Dixons brand? Or am I mistaking it for something else?

-Mike

Joerg Niggemann
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 20, 2008 04:05 AM      Profile for Joerg Niggemann   Email Joerg Niggemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chinon Projectors were often sold in Germany by "Photo Quelle". The SS-1200 was available as "Revue lux sound 80" between 1979 and 81.

My own machine is used frequently and up to now there's no sign of wear. It's very reliable and delivers rock steady pictures.

If you need spare parts simply buy a cheap Chinon SP-330/350. These smaller models use the same film transport mechanism and many parts are exchangeable: Claw/cam mechanism, most of the film guide parts, sound head pressure pads (sound head only from SP-350).

Joerg

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 20, 2008 11:58 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah good to know about the cam wear, is there a repair manual for these floating around anyone? And I am guessing that this is not something that you are familiar with fixing John?

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Jose Artiles
Master Film Handler

- posted December 22, 2008 01:55 AM      Profile for Jose Artiles   Email Jose Artiles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dino!
You can buy a repair manual for the chinon ss-1200 from old timer cameras,they have one for sale in this moment.Fellows i still looking for a derann cover art for my print of "poltergeist" if someone can help will be much apreciated.
Merry Christmas to all the forum members.

--------------------
As Steven Spielberg says....
Nothing beats old school projection. Digital is just an imitation.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 22, 2008 02:47 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're right Dino, not something I would consider having a go at myself.

Jose, I don't have the original Poltergeist box cover but we did print the one I have in a recent issue of 'smallformat' when we looked at the history of Kempski Super 8. Presumably you already have that but if you'd like the full quality original scan please email me. john(dot)clancy(at)bfcc(dot)biz

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC