8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » How to tell if your projector is scratching films?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How to tell if your projector is scratching films?
Alan Rik
Film God

- posted December 22, 2008 03:10 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey all!
I was showing a copy of "The Snowman" last night and I realized as I was watching it that a Sankyo S800 that I use to own had scratched the print!! Crikey mate!
That was not good news. I realized it was that machine because I recorded it with the GS1200 (audio) and then played it once on there. Then I played it halfway through the Sankyo and lo and behold...the scratch ....a nice long black one was on the left side for half the reel and then it disappeared from whence it came. Now I know we have discussed this before but can someone either point me to the thread or in 587 words or less tell me a way to test a machine. I DONT want to do that again!

|  IP: Logged

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 22, 2008 03:16 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alan,

Not sure this is the best way but I get a length of new clear leader that I thread in a loop and then run this for a few minutes through the projector. I then examine it closely to see if there are any marks

--------------------
Tony

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 22, 2008 03:38 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony, I would have never thought of that with the white leader. i need to try that. Lets wrack up the Eumig with some big garrish scratches, and then put some white leader through.

How about some "Leader-hosen"?

All kidding aside, it sounds like a very good idea!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 23, 2008 03:28 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
What I do (with 16mm) is make a loop of clear (not white) leader and thread it in the projector. You can mark your splice with a grease pencil and arrow. Then just turn the projector on and what the screen. As the film makes it second and third pass you'll know if the film is getting scratched. If is from the start, then the problem is above the gate and between the first sprocket and the gate. If it shows up after a loop, it's the gate or after.

Then you need to run a piece of clear leader and then remove it from the projector and examine it for the scrach. Mark the frame in the gate and you can then determine what the culprit is from the distance from the gate.

The loop as a quick check will let you know if the projector has a gate problem before you commit your print to the projector.

Usually these things are easy to fix. Dirt or old emulsion piled up somewhere although at times it can be a burr on a roller or shaft.

John

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted December 23, 2008 03:51 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is no substitute for thoroughly cleaning the gate area, sprockets and rollers before and after every use. Not saying that this will prevent ALL scratches but, it will go a long way.I am amazed at the number of people I've come across in this hobby who look on projector cleaning as a "once-in-a-while" affair.

-Mike

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 23, 2008 05:04 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,

I fully agree. Since I got back into 8 and 16, I have always been in the habit of removing the plate every single time and 'doing' the path with alcohol and/or air, depending.

Especially with the ST1200, I am being vigilant. Stuff can hide easily in those little paths. The Eikis, being bigger, are more of a "hands-on, swab-down-the-deck" kind of thing.

But every time is the golden rule.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

James E. Stubbs
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2009 08:28 PM      Profile for James E. Stubbs   Email James E. Stubbs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I don't watch films too frequently, I clean my projectors EVERY TIME and often times inbetween films.
Cheers,

--------------------
James E. Stubbs
Consultant, Vagabond, Traveler.

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2009 06:04 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes with a brand new print, I will run it for about 30 seconds, then stop the film and run it in reverse. If I don't notice any scratches after a few seconds, I can assume the projector wont scratch it, and I will continue screening the print.

Still, regular maintenance is important. I would recommend cleaning the gate at least a few times a year, depending on how often you use the projector.

James.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC