8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Stereo recording question ...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Stereo recording question ...
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 10, 2009 12:05 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey folks, I have a question. I usually don't do a lot recording with projectors, and this will actually be the first time I'll be recording in stereo myself.

Which of my two stereo recording projectors should I use?

EUMIG 926 stereo
Chinon 9500 stereo

This is concerning recording and not playback. I highly prefer the EUMIG for stereo playback, but would it be better for recording?

Inquiring recording artists want to know?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Mike Tynus
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2009 01:16 PM      Profile for Mike Tynus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,
Your Eumig 926 will give outstanding results. Not only will your sound quality be excellent and smooth, but the sound editing will also be very clean as well. This is achieved by running the film in the silent position, activating the record buttons, then turning the selector switch to the sound position at the point you want to start recording. The result will be an undetectable, smooth edit. Also it has perfect sound Fade capabilities that work 100% clean. Of course, the quality will also be dependent on condition of the heads and pressure pad.

I've never used a Chinon so I can't give an evaluation of that, but you can't go wrong using your Eumig.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2009 04:42 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why not just try them out and see which one is best?

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 11, 2009 11:03 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, I agree with Mike, the Eumig 926 will give you absolutely superb recording quality. I always record using my 926 or 938 because it has a really precise varaiable speed control for manual synching, and it gives me the best quality recordings of any of my machines, including the GS1200.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 12, 2009 03:51 PM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul. How does the Eumig 938 compare to the GS 1200 when using the newer Derann grey-brown sound paste stripe?

--------------------
Maurizio

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 13, 2009 12:23 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 926 it is! I have always admired the nice warm quality of the stereo on the 926. I thinking about linking a DBX encoder inbetween the sound source and the projector to improve the overall sound. The only problem with this idea, of course, is that the DBX encoded signal wouldn't be processed by the projector, but is there any chance that if the sound source is channeled from the projector to a DBX unit and then to the stereo system, would I still get the DBX signal, or would the decoder have to be the original sound heads of the projector and have the DBX decoder actually built into the projector as well?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

James E. Stubbs
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2009 07:44 PM      Profile for James E. Stubbs   Email James E. Stubbs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, as to DBX... That is exactly how they work. Record in encode, play out decode. You can use a DBX or Dolby encoder/ decorder with ANY analog recording method. They even did this with LP's It's what's known as a "Compander". COMPresssion and EXPANDsion. The digital equivilent would be a "codec" Coder-Decoder.

I can't belive I didn't think of it. It would be an outstanding way to improve the quality of sound films if the compansion proves compatabel with the projectors recording/playback system. I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work. Keep in mind films recorded using DBX can only be properly played back using DBX. If you play it back w/out the encoder/decoder in place the sound level will be very low and the fequency response will be out of wack. If it's all only for long term personal use, it should work great! Do it and let us know how it comes out.
Cheers,

--------------------
James E. Stubbs
Consultant, Vagabond, Traveler.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC