8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Largest Super8 Reels

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Largest Super8 Reels
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 10, 2009 05:42 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking through some old photos [Roll Eyes] posted a couple long ago. I have not used this clamp on home made long play unit in years. The drive was from bits from an old Raynox 8mm, 16mm B/H arm and the reels I made from a material called Lexan, the reason the front arm is angled back was to fit into our old projection box which was very small back them. The take up drive works well with a variable speed control switch, everything is made from bits and pieces, the film in the photo is "Great Expectations" 1946 with full supporting programme no idea the capacity of the reels it would be close to 3 hours worth, I do remember that the hole thing worked well,... a little top heavy on the GS1200 though [Wink]
 -

-
The Bell and Howell arm worked really well as the film load increases so does the drive tension.
 -
A little top heavy, [Eek!] but it worked well...very unlikely it will be ever be used again, what is the largest reel you have used on a projector?

Graham. [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 12, 2009 01:33 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the largest would be a 2000 foot extend a reel, do you still have your home made unit? It looks pretty impressive.

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted January 12, 2009 03:13 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like it could topple over quite easily though.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 12, 2009 03:45 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dino
The old projection box that the projector once sat in was 48 inches from the back wall to the glass, not much room but plenty of height hence how it was built, if I was to use it now I could easily make the front arm and reel into the more traditional arrangement. The GS1200 is a very heavy projector and although the hole thing is a bit top heavy it was OK. The film on the reel in the photo I had run the previous Sunday night to a group of people and the long play unit worked fine.

The total non-stop run including supporting programme was about 2hrs 20minutes, those reels can take even more probably close to 3hrs worth. with a film like Great Expectations I did not want to stop half way through "keep the story going" I have not used it in quite a few years but it should still work.

Graham.

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 12, 2009 10:59 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[....drooling....]

David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 12, 2009 12:52 PM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The largest reels I use are 2000ft for my spondon long play unit although it will take 2500ft - but I usually keep the 2500ft reels for my fumeo 9119 - so I can show a 6x400ft without a changeover.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 12, 2009 12:54 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, definately quite envious.... [Eek!]

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 12, 2009 02:57 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham,
Nice work! I do like the see-through reels.

In the Goldberg offerings, I have seen that the 6000-ft reels I use for 16mm have an option for an 8mm core (don't know if that is still available.)
However, if it is, then with an Eiki long play unit, you could pretty well run just about anything uninterrupted in 8mm [Eek!] [Big Grin]

The longest I have used so far is a Fumeo 2300-ft reel.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 12, 2009 04:31 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just imagine those large reels full of holiday home movies (in silent of course). Dosent bear thinking about [Roll Eyes] [Big Grin] .

Graham S

James E. Stubbs
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2009 08:05 PM      Profile for James E. Stubbs   Email James E. Stubbs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gee Graham, if you'll likely never use it again, I'm happy to take if off your hands. Got a great big living room and "projection room" (hole cut thorugh the wall of the spare bedroom) in my house... [Big Grin]
Cheers,

--------------------
James E. Stubbs
Consultant, Vagabond, Traveler.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC